Vols72 first Beach trip

vols72

Ok guys/gals we are going to Gulf Shores for my first time at the beach. Would appreciate any tips on places to go or see. We're going in about 2 weeks and I'll post some pics. Any advice would be helpful

Reactions: VolNExile
might want to give a little more information. like your age, who is we, and which Gulf Shores. My best advice for someone that has never gone to the beach. get a tan before you go, and use plenty of sun screen.

45 (old) and the wife is the other part of we lol. Didn't know there is any other Gulf Shores except Alabama. Goes to show you how much I know

Reactions: VolNExile
Definitely sit outside and get some sun before you go, and take good sunscreen. Go fishing if you like it and get a chance

Reactions: vols72
Go to Foley, it's not far from Gulf Shores and eat at Lambert's. There's a big outlet mall there too if you or your wife wants to get some shopping done.

Although it's a real treat to see wildlife at the beach, keep a respectable distance and don't try to wrassle any of em, even if you think you can take em. Some creatures are surprisingly ornery and agile.

Make sure you visit the USS Alabama. That was my Granddad's sister battleship in WW2. One of my favorite childhood memories is visiting the ship with him when I was 11. That was his first time back on a gunship since the war, where he caught TB. Even at that early age, I could really see the wheels turning as he toured us around, telling stories and tearing up at times. The greatest generation.

Orange Beach was my first beach experience and I was 48 at the time.
Do not underestimate the sheer power of the ocean. I did. Got knocked off my feet right away.
Beware of rip currents. Pay attention to the dang flags they have out.
If you tend to sunburn, don't go to the beach during the afternoon. Go mornings and evenings.
If you stay at a beachfront condo, try and get a lower floor so you can hear the waves. Higher up you don't hear them as well.
If you are taking kiddos, get the cheapo nets and flashlights and go crabbing after dark.
Just down the road in Gulf Breeze is a pretty good zoo.
Avoid the ihop in Foley.

That is a good question. Just never seemed to find the time. Guess life just got in the way but I'm going to remedy that
Sand gets in places you aren't prepared for. It isn't just on the beach, it's in the water as well.

Wear your suncreen! Watch out for sharks. :)

Take a long, slow walk on the beach in the moonlight, and kiss your wife.

Sand gets in places you aren't prepared for. It isn't just on the beach, it's in the water as well.

Wear your suncreen! Watch out for sharks. :)

Take a long, slow walk on the beach in the moonlight, and kiss your wife.
—and remember that sand gets in places you aren’t prepared for. 😁

Last edited:
The Pier offers fishing (rod and reel rental and bait) if you like to fish. Gulf State Park has a segway tour that is fun. Fort Morgan may be a place of interest (check their website). Near Fort Morgan is a ferry that will carry you and your vehicle across Mobile Bay......I took the ferry when I visited the USS Alabama (check their website). I noticed a lot of Parasailing going on yesterday if that's of interest. Also, there is a great steak house in Destin, Florida (about an hour and half drive) named McQuire's (it's expensive)......McQuire's supposedly has 7 million $1 dollar bills stapled to the ceiling and walls. And Gulf Shores does have a Walmart.

VN Store

Back