VOLS vs The Bear

Bear Bryant Lost the Last Game he coached vs Tennessee (1982) ; Resigning two months later, then passing away within another two months. We would assume that had to be painful, but we don't really know how much ; He was in poor health and drinking heavily, and likely in a fog.

Reactions: Jax_Vol
Actually did shake hands with the Bear on October 20, 1979. Drove to Bham the night before the game at Legions Field and stayed at some old motel there. To my surprise, when I walked to my car in the morning, there was a bus loading a bunch o' players. I thought it my be the Vols, so I walked up to the bus and Bear was standing outside the door of the bus greeting his players. I shook his hand and wished him luck, which they didn't need as the beat us 27-17. I would have swapped email addresses or cell #s with The Bear, but we didn't have those back then....
And as a footnote, I reckon that the coaching staff felt it would be best to drive up the night before the game from Tuscaloosa (bout an hour drive if I recall), so that the team would be all together and well rested.

Good lord that's hilarious.

If you zoom in on the photo, the details are well done: Cigarette hanging from mouth, bottle of George Dickel in left hande, bag of Golden Flakes in his right hand. The Bear was forever advertising Golden Flakes on his coaching coach and such. NOT, that I was watching an Alabama coaching show.

Does anyone know which college teams beat Bear Bryant the most throughout his college coaching career? Who beat him the most during his SEC coaching career? And then who beat him the most during his coaching career at Alabama?
Darrell Royal the former Texas Longhorn coach was 4-0 against Bryant and the Texas Longhorns as a program are 7-1-1 against Alabama.

Bear Bryant Lost the Last Game he coached vs Tennessee (1982) ; Resigning two months later, then passing away within another two months. We would assume that had to be painful, but we don't really know how much ; He was in poor health and drinking heavily, and likely in a fog.

Believe I read somewhere that Bear was exactly even against us in every game he played, was an asst coach and head coach.

VN Store

Back