Vols Turn the Corner?

Hope springs eternal, brother, but it's too soon to say we've turned a corner. Last game was obviously our best, most complete game, but we have six more. (I see the team that played last Saturday as capable of winning five of those, the team that played BYU as capable of losing all of them.) We do seem to be getting better in the key spots. The question and your points are very legit -- please post again after Vandy game.

giphy.gif

When the team posts a big -L-, we're in a building year, or we are so very talented we should have won, or we are going down hill. Win one SEC game, playing Mississippi, at home, we've turned a corner, our talent is really showing up on the field, we're headed to the top of the SEC. It's funny how one game can change things so fast, I wonder how things will change after next Saturday.

Reactions: Mtnvol80
This past week the Vols won a hard fought game against a team with similar talent. We played significantly better on defense and the 5+ minute, 91 yard drive to seal the win was something we have not seen in a while. My question for VolNation is "have the Vols turned the corner?" We lost to a bad Ga St team in game one, if that game were played next week we win by 40+. Each and every week we have watched this team get better, the OL is starting to get a push, the QB and receivers are getting on track. The running game is better because the OL has improved. The tackling is the best we have seen in a few years. the DL is improving and got some pressures and sacks last week. This team is young and thin at several positions. This weeks game will give us the answer to to the question 'Have the Vols turned the corner?". If we can hold Bama to a reasonable number, say 35 to 42 and score a reasonable amount 21 to 28 then I think this Vol team is well on its way to becoming a well coached team. We are no where near as talented as Bama and are several signing classes away from being "back", but I think we have to give Pruitt and this coaching staff a high grade on "teaching" these young men what it takes to win ballgames.

I write all of this to say I think we have ourselves a ball coach and staff. This team had lost for so long that "losing" permeated the locker room. This coaching staff are all winners, they know what it takes in terms of effort, skill and determination to win football games. They have since day 1 tried to instill winning in our players. They have gotten rid of the "bad apples" and now are down to 67 scholarship players who want to win and are willing to work hard enough to do so. I do not think we make a bowl game this year, losing to GA St and BYU cost us that. But at the end of this season I expect we are 5-7 and are well on our way to a bowl game in 2020.

These players deserve our support. Get there early, stay late and Go Vols!
I think we finish 6 and 6

We need a few.more quality (4-5)star players AND depth.Let us get those players who are driven to give it all and we will be fine.No240 lb.linemen.

This past week the Vols won a hard fought game against a team with similar talent. We played significantly better on defense and the 5+ minute, 91 yard drive to seal the win was something we have not seen in a while. My question for VolNation is "have the Vols turned the corner?" We lost to a bad Ga St team in game one, if that game were played next week we win by 40+. Each and every week we have watched this team get better, the OL is starting to get a push, the QB and receivers are getting on track. The running game is better because the OL has improved. The tackling is the best we have seen in a few years. the DL is improving and got some pressures and sacks last week. This team is young and thin at several positions. This weeks game will give us the answer to to the question 'Have the Vols turned the corner?". If we can hold Bama to a reasonable number, say 35 to 42 and score a reasonable amount 21 to 28 then I think this Vol team is well on its way to becoming a well coached team. We are no where near as talented as Bama and are several signing classes away from being "back", but I think we have to give Pruitt and this coaching staff a high grade on "teaching" these young men what it takes to win ballgames.

I write all of this to say I think we have ourselves a ball coach and staff. This team had lost for so long that "losing" permeated the locker room. This coaching staff are all winners, they know what it takes in terms of effort, skill and determination to win football games. They have since day 1 tried to instill winning in our players. They have gotten rid of the "bad apples" and now are down to 67 scholarship players who want to win and are willing to work hard enough to do so. I do not think we make a bowl game this year, losing to GA St and BYU cost us that. But at the end of this season I expect we are 5-7 and are well on our way to a bowl game in 2020.

My opinion is we played a good game. That’s it. We have a long way to go.

One game does not make a trend. I will cheer them on always. What I need to see to think we are on the right track is to finish strong this year. To me that is 4-2. If we do that and then start fast next year, then I think we are doing well and improving. If we go 3-3 this year then they will need an much bigger year next year to make me believe we have really changed.

Last edited:
Hope we finish the season with more wins than losses or at least go 6-6. But if we finish 5-7 again we have not turned a corner in any way. I'll cheer on the Vols like I always have and let the season play itself out.

Agree. We don’t have the talent yet to compete consistently in this league BUT I’m encouraged by the progress in the young players. They’ve played better and have seemed to take a little more ownership of this team. Jennings was the only face of the team early on and seemed to be the only leader.

Too bad Banks had to go and mess everything up Because I believe he would have been a good one.

Hope we finish the season with more wins than losses or at least go 6-6. But if we finish 5-7 again we have not turned a corner in any way. I'll cheer on the Vols like I always have and let the season play itself out.
we're running out of games to finish better than 500

They have gotten rid of the "bad apples" and now are down to 67 scholarship players who want to win and are willing to work hard enough to do so.

Wait, we really only have 67 scholarship players??!

Wait, we really only have 67 scholarship players??!
76 I believe was the number. With injuries and kids leaving it’s probably around 67 that can play. Hell I’m sure more than a few of that 67 are nicked up as well. Pruitt has sucked at times but the numbers he’s dealing with are pretty lousy. We can’t get to the scholarship limit even if he takes all the initial counters.

VN Store

Back