Vols Turn the Corner?

VolBricks

May the Orange be with you!
This past week the Vols won a hard fought game against a team with similar talent. We played significantly better on defense and the 5+ minute, 91 yard drive to seal the win was something we have not seen in a while. My question for VolNation is "have the Vols turned the corner?" We lost to a bad Ga St team in game one, if that game were played next week we win by 40+. Each and every week we have watched this team get better, the OL is starting to get a push, the QB and receivers are getting on track. The running game is better because the OL has improved. The tackling is the best we have seen in a few years. the DL is improving and got some pressures and sacks last week. This team is young and thin at several positions. This weeks game will give us the answer to to the question 'Have the Vols turned the corner?". If we can hold Bama to a reasonable number, say 35 to 42 and score a reasonable amount 21 to 28 then I think this Vol team is well on its way to becoming a well coached team. We are no where near as talented as Bama and are several signing classes away from being "back", but I think we have to give Pruitt and this coaching staff a high grade on "teaching" these young men what it takes to win ballgames.

I write all of this to say I think we have ourselves a ball coach and staff. This team had lost for so long that "losing" permeated the locker room. This coaching staff are all winners, they know what it takes in terms of effort, skill and determination to win football games. They have since day 1 tried to instill winning in our players. They have gotten rid of the "bad apples" and now are down to 67 scholarship players who want to win and are willing to work hard enough to do so. I do not think we make a bowl game this year, losing to GA St and BYU cost us that. But at the end of this season I expect we are 5-7 and are well on our way to a bowl game in 2020.

These players deserve our support. Get there early, stay late and Go Vols!

Honestly, I don't think we're to the corner yet.
Agree. We don’t have the talent yet to compete consistently in this league BUT I’m encouraged by the progress in the young players. They’ve played better and have seemed to take a little more ownership of this team. Jennings was the only face of the team early on and seemed to be the only leader.

It's a roundabout. There is no corner.

Pump the brakes. The defense looked better, the O-Line made some holes for the running game, but our qb play is exactly what it's always been. Vols won the game by a good defensive effort and taking the air out of the ball and managing the clock. I guess we've turned a corner because we couldn't do that before maybe, but it's State. Like the commercial says...........'State stinks!'

The good news is that there's at least 3 teams left on our schedule with similar qb woes.

This past week the Vols won a hard fought game against a team with similar talent. We played significantly better on defense and the 5+ minute, 91 yard drive to seal the win was something we have not seen in a while. My question for VolNation is "have the Vols turned the corner?" We lost to a bad Ga St team in game one, if that game were played next week we win by 40+. Each and every week we have watched this team get better, the OL is starting to get a push, the QB and receivers are getting on track. The running game is better because the OL has improved. The tackling is the best we have seen in a few years. the DL is improving and got some pressures and sacks last week. This team is young and thin at several positions. This weeks game will give us the answer to to the question 'Have the Vols turned the corner?". If we can hold Bama to a reasonable number, say 35 to 42 and score a reasonable amount 21 to 28 then I think this Vol team is well on its way to becoming a well coached team. We are no where near as talented as Bama and are several signing classes away from being "back", but I think we have to give Pruitt and this coaching staff a high grade on "teaching" these young men what it takes to win ballgames.

I write all of this to say I think we have ourselves a ball coach and staff. This team had lost for so long that "losing" permeated the locker room. This coaching staff are all winners, they know what it takes in terms of effort, skill and determination to win football games. They have since day 1 tried to instill winning in our players. They have gotten rid of the "bad apples" and now are down to 67 scholarship players who want to win and are willing to work hard enough to do so. I do not think we make a bowl game this year, losing to GA St and BYU cost us that. But at the end of this season I expect we are 5-7 and are well on our way to a bowl game in 2020.

We, for sure have been playing much better than we did the first 2 weeks. Both lines are much better and the Freshmen are beginning to get the hang of what college football is and requires. Maurer seems to provide a spark to the team and adds another demention to the offense. He has learned a couple of hard lessons about when and where to throw the ball. We will not really know if we have turned the corner until season is over, but if we beat South Carolina and Missouri, we have made it around the corner. I stll think we will have a good recruiting class this year which will add talent and depth. The future is glowing brightly and I can hardly wait.

We had some promising performances last season, too. We'll need to finish the season with some consistency before I start getting my hopes up.

But it was definitely a step in the right direction and I think overall we have seen steady improvement since the debacle of a season opener. Slooow...but steady. Fingers crossed.

It's a roundabout. There is no corner.

Pump the brakes. The defense looked better, the O-Line made some holes for the running game, but our qb play is exactly what it's always been. Vols won the game by a good defensive effort and taking the air out of the ball and managing the clock. I guess we've turned a corner because we couldn't do that before maybe, but it's State. Like the commercial says...........'State stinks!'

The good news is that there's at least 3 teams left on our schedule with similar qb woes.
I agree, I agree there are several teams on our schedule that may be worse off than us at QB (I'm Looking at you KY, USCjr and Vandy).

We had some promising performances last season, too. We'll need to finish the season with some consistency before I start getting my hopes up.

But it was definitely a step in the right direction and I think overall we have seen steady improvement since the debacle of a season opener. Slooow...but steady. Fingers crossed.
the games from last season and the continued growth this season is what makes me think we have finally made the turn from the bottom heading up.

The Vols are good, consistent QB play away from competing with anyone in the SEC except Bama and probably UGA (on talent). JG was a liability that cost UT games. Maurer has done some things to spark hope but isn't the answer yet either.

UT's D played better but needs an O that protects them more than they've been protected this season. They have no depth. They have holes in their talent.

The OL is improved and improving. The RB's are "good" but lack the power to run through a defensive LOS focused on stopping the run. UT is very good at WR and TE. What they haven't had from JG at all and from Maurer consistently is a QB that can hit plays downfield to open up the run game and take pressure off the OL.

I’m the biggest NegaVol and Pruitt detractor on this site...proudly. However...this team and staff did all I ask for against MSU. The competed to the level they’re capable of, and were not embarrassing. I was pleasantly surprised and have nothing bad to say over that game. Had they played the same way and lost, I still wouldn’t have too much bad to say.

We are not a good football team, and are years from championship level....but I can live with that as long as I see effort, scheme, and development. Sitting back on our heels and being beaten by lesser talent will always set me off, but if we can turn the corner and compete in every game we’re in I can be satisfied. Doing so is an assurance that we are headed the right way and won’t wander in darkness forever.

The Vols are good, consistent QB play away from competing with anyone in the SEC except Bama and probably UGA (on talent). JG was a liability that cost UT games. Maurer has done some things to spark hope but isn't the answer yet either.

UT's D played better but needs an O that protects them more than they've been protected this season. They have no depth. They have holes in their talent.

The OL is improved and improving. The RB's are "good" but lack the power to run through a defensive LOS focused on stopping the run. UT is very good at WR and TE. What they haven't had from JG at all and from Maurer consistently is a QB that can hit plays downfield to open up the run game and take pressure off the OL.
I agree, a signing class or two away.

I’m the biggest NegaVol and Pruitt detractor on this site...proudly. However...this team and staff did all I ask for against MSU. The competed to the level they’re capable of, and were not embarrassing. I was pleasantly surprised and have nothing bad to say over that game. Had they played the same way and lost, I still wouldn’t have too much bad to say.

We are not a good football team, and are years from championship level....but I can live with that as long as I see effort, scheme, and development. Sitting back on our heels and being beaten by lesser talent will always set me off, but if we can turn the corner and compete in every game we’re in I can be satisfied. Doing so is an assurance that we are headed the right way and won’t wander in darkness forever.
When we lost to GA St. I was the same way "oh no here we go again" but watching the team grow has me feeling better now. I am not a sunshine pumper myself. I tried to buy into Jones, just look at my username VolBricks. I hoped Jones could make the next step to big boy football. I (we) were all wrong. Jones promised "the best staff in the country" but Pruitt actually has a "Really, Really" good staff. This staff is what makes me feel we actually can improve and move upward. We have the staff that can recruit, now they are showing that they can coach young talent as well.

Reactions: BanditVol
It was one game against a very flawed team.

Good things happened for sure but reality is about to set back in on where we really stand in the college football landscape.

How they finish the year after this Bama game will tell the tale on whether they turned a corner IMO

I agree, a signing class or two away.
That's at once realistic and unrealistic. The roster probably needs that kind of infusion of talent. The reality is that if Pruitt doesn't give recruits something tangible to believe in within the first 3 years... they're not going to sign with him. He may need 5 years. He has 3.

The wild card is transfers and grad transfers. The 25 signee rule hurts teams that need to rebuild. The transfer rules can help. Pruitt really needs to grab some difference makers from the transfer portal or JUCO route.

It was one game against a very flawed team.

Good things happened for sure but reality is about to set back in on where we really stand in the college football landscape.

How they finish the year after this Bama game will tell the tale on whether they turned a corner IMO
The fortunate thing is that every team left on the schedule is a flawed team. USCe in spite of their UGA win is very flawed. Vandy is downright awful. UK isn't a lot better. Mizzou is very, very vulnerable to the pass. The sell out to stop the run. They're a little difficult to evaluate fairly because they've played a pretty weak schedule.

UAB... if UT is still losing to mid-majors that deep into the season then there are really, really big problems. They have a good record but have avoided difficult opponents. UT is their only P-5 opponent. They're beating up on their little sisters

Reactions: spyfish007

Just wait till next year

The MSU game was very well played and coached and shows some great development, especially from our youngest players (who have had most time under Pruitt and staff tutelage) that gives me great hope for the future. That said, I think it is too soon to say it has turned the corner, as in a confirmed upward trajectory from here. I think the evidence of a turn is there but it has not been confirmed yet. The games after this week are the ones I think will best demonstrate how bright the future could be and it will be season end and recruit signing day before we can really decide whether Pruitt has yet been able to turn us on the upswing that I expect from him.

Pump the brakes

Reactions: 08Vol
You’re remembered for November, I’ll sit back, cheer my a$$ off, and make my judgement then.

I think you have a number of very capable challengers for that position, and rightfully so.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back