Vols trending Down (247 article)

Reactions: 5 people
There was talk at the beginning of camp that the star players pretty much got to do whatever they wanted. Terrible leadership by Jones. He can't leave soon enough.

I question the timing too after the Trey Smith announcement, I hate it. However, I do agree that the big mistakes this year were team discipline and strength and conditioning. This thought came from Mike Griffith's podcast with Josh Ward on Sec Country.
Here is the link to the recap to the story (sorry I could not find the actual podcast):

https://www.seccountry.com/tennesse...ast-where-team-120-and-butch-jones-went-wrong

To be fair I am still with Butch despite these mistakes and dearly hope he grows and overcomes them. Go VOLS!

Articles that contain quotes by "anonymous sources close to the situation" always give me pause. Props to Hood for being the only one to attach his name to his opinion

Yep, the infamous mystery source making veiled references. :blink:

Reactions: 1 person
Articles that contain quotes by "anonymous sources close to the situation" always give me pause. Props to Hood for being the only one to attach his name to his opinion

Hood spoke in favor of Butch...nothing controversial about his comments. Of course he'd go on record.

Why would someone employed in the athletic department speak openly and critically of the current head coach without the promise of anonymity?

Reactions: 3 people
I listened to a podcast (the EntreLeadership podcast) and Jon Gordon was being interviewed. If you don't know who that is he wrote the book, the energy bus and he talked about some of the things he does professionally. He mentioned that he'd recently spoken to the UT Football team at the request of Butch Jones about Energy Vampires. That's a concept from his book about people who are negative and have a bad effect on the team. In hindsight it was a huge red flag that this team had chemistry issues.

It may have been this podcast. https://www.entreleadership.com/podcasts/developing-culture-jon-gordon-and-bob-b

Not super sure though.
EDIT: Okay it was the 2014 offseason. I may have been catching up on an old podcast. When you run marathons you listed to a lot of podcasts. Tennessee motivated by 'The Energy Bus' book this offseason

Last edited:
Hood spoke in favor of Butch...nothing controversial about his comments. Of course he'd go on record.

Why would someone employed in the athletic department speak openly and critically of the current head coach without the promise of anonymity?

You don't have to be truthful if you have no fear of having to answer for your statements. Same goes for the author. Odd how he only got one good comment from every single source

I also have a hard time with people willing to stab their boss or coworker in the back anonymously while still collecting a paycheck from his efforts

I think Butch is growing along side the football program. Evident by his dropping to one knee and "crying" after the hail mary this season. He said he called the play and that it wasn't a hail mary but a play that he knew they could make. If so, why drop to a knee like we won the natty on a miracle? He hasn't been there in his career and it shows, but I'm sticking with him. I think the off field stuff and GPA matters to the culture. I think he is still going in the right direction and learning as he goes. Keep those high talent recruits coming and let him keep tweaking the staff and play calling and we'll get there.

You don't understand how investigative journalism works, do you?

You don't have to be truthful if you have no fear of having to answer for your statements. Same goes for the author

I also have a hard time with people willing to stab their boss or coworker in the back anonymously while still collecting a paycheck from his efforts

So..every employee should shut up until Butch is fired and them along with them and THEN they can tell the truth?....DUMB.

You don't understand how investigative journalism works, do you?

No, and they don't want to. It's a pretty common thing among fanbases to have a persecution complex.

Ironically the fanbases with the weakest reasons to suspect they are being persecuted against (like Alabama) tend to have some of the biggest "everybody is out to get us" attitudes.

Wow. This article will do wonders for our recruiting..

One good thing: Assistants WILL be leaving. Article cited that there were "defensive philosophy squabbles" between some of the defensive coaches. Shows why we were so bad on that side of the ball. Forget the players not buying in to Shoop's defense, our own assistants didn't buy in. Butch better clean house and get this trending back in the right direction.

That amazes me. You bring in a defensive genius. You pay him over a million a year. Let him run the damn thing! If the position coaches don't like it, don't let the door hit them on the way out. That why you hire one of the best coordinators in CFB.

Here's hoping some new coaches and some hungry young guys with a little fire in their belly surprise us all in 17.

I'll take that as a no.

Take it however you want. It's a hit piece full of anonymous opinions backing the writers desired outcome. It was published the day after ut's biggest commitment. The agenda is pretty obvious imo

Reactions: 6 people
You don't have to be truthful if you have no fear of having to answer for your statements. Same goes for the author. Odd how he only got one good comment from every single source

The implication being that Haney just made it all up?

Does he not have an editor? The editor in on the conspiracy as well?

Oh, and you don't think it was going to come out regardless of Smith's commitment yesterday. The story is TELLING IT LIKE IT IS. Someone has to relay this information since our own coach doesn't give us any answers. Spiteful little tool he is. Loser.

VN Store

Back