Vols to renew series with Memphis in 2018

oh and that article rjhseven mentioned..."How Tubby Smith made a gigantic mess of Memphis' program in just one year"

that's just Gary Parrish trolling for clicks and call-ins to his radio show...I expect nothing less from him and folks like Jason Smith...drama is what they do.

These are the facts Parrish used to back up his headline:
"But it's pretty bad now.
Marshall transferred to a junior college last offseason while Moore instead enrolled at California, where he averaged 12.2 points and 3.5 assists this season. Now Crawford and both Lawsons -- that's the Tigers' three leading scorers and rebounders -- have announced they're also transferring, meaning there are six Memphis players who have said they're transferring since the end of this season. Only two players (Jeremiah Martin and Jimario Rivers) are set to return."
i would call that screwing up pretty bad.

I've noticed you post a lot here and you usually don't back it up with facts or you twist them such as using two different recruiting services to show our recruits rankings. I try to be realistic in what i post and if needed, I can back it up with facts unless it's an opinion.

There is nothing shady with hiring a recruit's dad if he is qualified. Keelon would have been best recruiter on this staff. What would our record have been last year without the two Lawsons (I think 10 wins max).

NIT means a down year for Memphis for most fans.

Memphis is NOT mid major per top CBB writers in the country. Also, Number of wins has nothing to do with getting into real tourney.

Ben Lammers of GT went from a 3/4 guy to a 14/9. Does Gregory get credit for that?

Rolling your eyes on a message board?? Come on; this is not MT.org which has about 15-20 regulars posters left. TOTAL!

Last edited:
lol, so there is no middle ground between the NIT and 33-38 wins per year?

it's one or the other, huh?[/rollseyes]

mid major conferences don't cut down the nets...the AAC did, so go on repeating that line, I couldn't care less.

You said you're hoping for 21 wins like Tubby did at Minnesota, if that's the best case scenario for you guys I think I would fire up the search firm.

you can claim Keelon was qualified all you want...but Memphis never would have hired him if it didn't directly lead to his two sons playing for Memphis.

Memphis paid 120k per year to Keelon Lawson for KJ and Dedric...that's shaddy as can be.

Pastner even alluded to mistakes he would not make again at GTech on a 92.9 interview...I'm about 99% sure the Lawson deal is what he was talking about.

You said you're hoping for 21 wins like Tubby did at Minnesota, if that's the best case scenario for you guys I think I would fire up the search firm.

no I didn't...I said '21-23 wins, and knocking off UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tourney with Memphis kids like Austin and Andre Hollins'

his 2009, 2010, and 2013 Minny seasons would be OK here...then he can ride off into the sunset.

Last edited:
no I didn't...I said '21-23 wins, and knocking off UCLA in the first round of the NCAA tourney with Memphis kids like Austin and Andre Hollins'

his 2009, 2010, and 2013 Minny seasons would be OK here...then he can ride off into the sunset.

What about 2008, 2011 & 2012? Lolololol

What about 2008, 2011 & 2012? Lolololol

this ain't the Big10...have you seen next seasons schedule?

hell, I'll include my prediction:

LNov. 10 vs. Alabama (19-15; RPI: 82) in Annapolis, Md. as part of Veterans Classic

WNov. 14 vs. Arkansas-Little Rock (15-17; 241)

WNov. 21 vs. New Orleans (20-12; 161)

WNov. 25 vs. Northern Kentucky (24-11; 85)

WNov. 30 at UAB (17-16; 199)

WDec. 2 vs. Mercer (15-16; 196)

LDec. 16 vs. Louisville (25-9; 11) at Madison Square Garden

WDec. 28 vs. LSU (10-21; 195)

WTBA vs. Albany (21-14; 146)

WTBA vs. Bryant (12-20; 280)

WTBA vs. Siena (17-17; 129)

WTBA vs. Loyola (Md.) (16-17; 200)

WTBA vs. Samford (20-16; 170)

-----AAC PLAY-----

LTBA vs. Wichita State (31-5; 29)

LTBA vs. Houston (21-11; 62)

LTBA at SMU (30-5; 16)

LTBA at Temple (16-16; 134)

LTBA at Cincinnati (30-6; 12)

LTBA vs. Cincinnati

LTBA at UConn (16-17; 121)

LTBA vs. UConn

WTBA vs. UCF (24-12; 64)

LTBA at UCF

LTBA at Tulsa (15-17; 139)

WTBA vs. Tulsa

WTBA vs. USF (7-23; 317)

WTBA at USF

WTBA vs. ECU (15-18; 214)

WTBA at ECU

WTBA vs. Tulane (6-25; 292)

WTBA at Tulane

19-12 (8-10 AAC)

you can claim Keelon was qualified all you want...but Memphis never would have hired him if it didn't directly lead to his two sons playing for Memphis.

Memphis paid 120k per year to Keelon Lawson for KJ and Dedric...that's shaddy as can be.

Pastner even alluded to mistakes he would not make again at GTech on a 92.9 interview...I'm about 99% sure the Lawson deal is what he was talking about.

Didn't say they would. But it happens all the time in college sports. Jobs for moms at large corporations-just in past year Auburn, Missouri, Washington and Michigan (among others) have hired a recruit's dad.

Keelon brought in two five star recruits with him, knows BB and every recruit worth knowing in Memphis. That's a contributing coach to me. Tubby shut him out. What other assistant can you hire at $120K that can do that?

Didn't say they would. But it happens all the time in college sports. Jobs for moms at large corporations-just in past year Auburn, Missouri, Washington and Michigan (among others) have hired a recruit's dad.

Keelon brought in two five star recruits with him, knows BB and every recruit worth knowing in Memphis. That's a contributing coach to me. Tubby shut him out. What other assistant can you hire at $120K that can do that?

what part of 100% clean program under a 100% clean coach is not getting through? we won't do that anymore, we will not vacate a 3rd NCAA run...end of story.

what part of 100% clean program under a 100% clean coach is not getting through? we won't do that anymore, we will not vacate a 3rd NCAA run...end of story.

Are you now calling the shots at Memphis athletic dept? If not, stop with the "we will not" and "getting through" BS. I don't think you have a single highly placed source at the University or you would not be posting this BS.

I'm embarrassed to have to respond to your inane posts on the Vols message board.

Are you now calling the shots at Memphis athletic dept? If not, stop with the "we will not" and "getting through" BS. I don't think you have a single highly placed source at the University or you would not be posting this BS.

I'm embarrassed to have to respond to your inane posts on the Vols message board.

our AD and President made that abundantly clear by hiring Tubby Smith...don't believe me? go ask Keelon Lawson.

I'm embarrassed by our miserable fans like yourself who only want to cheat to succeed...I believe in good old fashion clean hard work to win...THAT is what Tubby Smith is all about.

our AD and President made that abundantly clear by hiring Tubby Smith...don't believe me? go ask Keelon Lawson.

I'm embarrassed by our miserable fans like yourself who only want to cheat to succeed...I believe in good old fashion clean hard work to win...THAT is what Tubby Smith is all about.

I never said i would cheat to win. Hiring a recruit's dad IS NOT CHEATING IF YOU CAN GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL.

My sources told me the Tigers wanted a "safe" hire in BB because they thought we were in B12 (despite what was in the media) and that football would pay the bills from then on. How wrong they were. I know for a fact if the hire was done knowing how the B12 rejected us, Tubby would NOT be our BB coach.

And Tubby puts in more hard work on the golf course than he does recruiting.

I never said i would cheat to win. Hiring a recruit's dad IS NOT CHEATING IF YOU CAN GET THAT THROUGH YOUR THICK SKULL.

My sources told me the Tigers wanted a "safe" hire in BB because they thought we were in B12 (despite what was in the media) and that football would pay the bills from then on. How wrong they were. I know for a fact if the hire was done knowing how the B12 rejected us, Tubby would NOT be our BB coach.

And Tubby puts in more hard work on the golf course than he does recruiting.

we won't cheat, we won't walk the line, we won't live in grey areas of recruiting, we won't make shady deals with pimp fathers...if it's not 100% above board...Tubby and Memphis ain't interested.

last I saw Tubby on the golf course was Jun 5 at the Danny Thomas pro-am benefiting sick kids at St Jude...I'm down with raising money for the kids dying from cancer...good for Tubby.

moreover, you don't have sources, miserable...you just parrot BS from hoopsdreams and easterwood.

in 9 months I'm betting Tubby Smith and Butch Pierre have locked down Alex Lomax and Connor Vanover to go along with a Jamal Johnson and a senior Jeremiah Martin.

http://247sports.com/Player/Alex-Lomax-92337
http://247sports.com/Player/Connor-Vanover-85013

just in time to start our series with UT :peace2:

Not a real accomplishment by the Memphis standards your fans would have us believe. I'd be just as willing to bet that in 9 months, UM is looking for their next coach.

Memphis can't seem to get up for UT. Don't know what it is. I know you will admit Memphis had the better teams in many of those years; same thing with Mississippi.

Man, that is a terrible argument. Like, really, really bad.

we won't cheat, we won't walk the line, we won't live in grey areas of recruiting, we won't make shady deals with pimp fathers...if it's not 100% above board...Tubby and Memphis ain't interested.

last I saw Tubby on the golf course was Jun 5 at the Danny Thomas pro-am benefiting sick kids at St Jude...I'm down with raising money for the kids dying from cancer...good for Tubby.

moreover, you don't have sources, miserable...you just parrot BS from hoopsdreams and easterwood.

So you follow Tubby around to track his golfing activities? And the only issue in my post you addressed was his golfing? i have good sources but I'm not dumb enough to put their names on a message board.

Last edited:
So you follow Tubby around to track his golfing activities? And the only issue in my post you addressed was his golfing? i have good sources but I'm not dumb enough to put their names on a message board.

don't get mad just because you're wrong...

this ain't the Big10...have you seen next seasons schedule?

hell, I'll include my prediction:

LNov. 10 vs. Alabama (19-15; RPI: 82) in Annapolis, Md. as part of Veterans Classic

WNov. 14 vs. Arkansas-Little Rock (15-17; 241)

WNov. 21 vs. New Orleans (20-12; 161)

WNov. 25 vs. Northern Kentucky (24-11; 85)

WNov. 30 at UAB (17-16; 199)

WDec. 2 vs. Mercer (15-16; 196)

LDec. 16 vs. Louisville (25-9; 11) at Madison Square Garden

WDec. 28 vs. LSU (10-21; 195)

WTBA vs. Albany (21-14; 146)

WTBA vs. Bryant (12-20; 280)

WTBA vs. Siena (17-17; 129)

WTBA vs. Loyola (Md.) (16-17; 200)

WTBA vs. Samford (20-16; 170)

-----AAC PLAY-----

LTBA vs. Wichita State (31-5; 29)

LTBA vs. Houston (21-11; 62)

LTBA at SMU (30-5; 16)

LTBA at Temple (16-16; 134)

LTBA at Cincinnati (30-6; 12)

LTBA vs. Cincinnati

LTBA at UConn (16-17; 121)

LTBA vs. UConn

WTBA vs. UCF (24-12; 64)

LTBA at UCF

LTBA at Tulsa (15-17; 139)

WTBA vs. Tulsa

WTBA vs. USF (7-23; 317)

WTBA at USF

WTBA vs. ECU (15-18; 214)

WTBA at ECU

WTBA vs. Tulane (6-25; 292)

WTBA at Tulane

19-12 (8-10 AAC)

So 10 games against top 100 RPI teams? In comparison Tennessee played 21 games against top 100 RPI teams last season....like I said, weak.

That's not a very good analogy. Tennessee has won 22 of 23 football games and Tennessee has the edge in basketball.

2008 @ Memphis. UT beats a mediocre Butler team (talent wise) in OT and blown out by Louisville in NCAA tourney-Memphis had their 4th to 5th best team ever and go to NC game absolutely destroying Michigan St, Texas (in Texas), UCLA with Love, Westbrook and 3 other NBA players and then up 9 with 2 minutes to go vs Kansas.

Who had better team? I suspect Cal wanted them to lose; it was the best case to lose the rest of the year and he said privately he did not want to have the burden of being undefeated going into tourney.

That is a extreme example but i could give you many more. Basketball with 35 games a year (if you are good), you can't get up for all of them.

That year with the Tigers playing in CUSA, every conference game was like the super Bowl to the other team-most sold out.

Last edited:
2008 @ Memphis. UT beats a mediocre Butler team (talent wise) in OT and blown out by Louisville in NCAA tourney-Memphis had their 4th to 5th best team ever and go to NC game absolutely destroying Michigan St, Texas (in Texas), UCLA with Love, Westbrook and 3 other NBA players and then up 9 with 2 minutes to go vs Kansas.

Who had better team? I suspect Cal wanted them to lose; it was the best case to lose the rest of the year and he said privately he did not want to have the burden of being undefeated going into tourney.

That is a extreme example but i could give you many more. Basketball with 35 games a year (if you are good), you can't get up for all of them.

That year with the Tigers playing in CUSA, every conference game was like the super Bowl to the other team-most sold out.

You're dreaming if you think Tiger High would ever be indifferent playing big brother.

VN Store

Back