Vols to Play ETSU in 2018

I will not. I pick and choose which games to attend so they need to be worth my effort

Fair enough. I do the same myself. But for the fans who don't have the budget to pay $100-200ea. for tickets plus travel these games are great. I know I'm reiterating your second harvest comment but not everyone can afford to spend $500+ to take their family to a game.

Personally I couldn't care less about their program. This just does nothing positive for UT football. We'd get a better challenge playing 1s v 2s

It has more to do with the East Tennessee region than anything. This gives local kids more scholarship opportunities and can help raise the profile of ETSU.

Good for them bad for UT. By then the Vols are competing for the playoff and when it comes to a vote the Bucs don't look very impressive.

For those who love football this is a very nice gesture to ETSU from the University of Tennessee and Phil Fulmer. I am a huge Vols fan and graduated from ETSU in 1970. That was the year the Bucs met Louisiana Tech and Terry Bradshaw in the Grantland Rice Bowl. Bradshaw was leading the NCAA in passing and finished minus yards passing in the game which the Bucs won 34-14. Hopefully, they can return to their glory years just like the Tennessee football team. :thumbsup:

Reactions: 2 people
For those who love football this is a very nice gesture to ETSU from the University of Tennessee and Phil Fulmer. I am a huge Vols fan and graduated from ETSU in 1970. That was the year the Bucs met Louisiana Tech and Terry Bradshaw in the Grantland Rice Bowl. Bradshaw was leading the NCAA in passing and finished minus yards passing in the game which the Bucs won 34-14. Hopefully, they can return to their glory years just like the Tennessee football team. :thumbsup:

That was a great ETSU team. I think Chattanooga beat LaTech and Terry Bradshaw the year before ETSU did.

My mother went to ETSU. It will be cool to see them bring back their football program. I am excited that we will get to play them. I will be looking forward to this one!

ETSU isn't going to look great on Tennessee's schedule. But it's not like we don't play a game that is a forgone conclusion every year. Complaining about this is like being upset the your cupcake has icing instead of sprinkles. It doesn't amount to much. As a lifelong Vol fan and and ETSU grad I'm happy that my Vols are helping out my Alma Mater. Those of you saying it doesn't help Tennessee are correct, but saying it hurts them when we play teams like UTC, UT-Martin, or Tennessee Tech most years are really overstating what this means in terms of SOS. UT has a SOS in the top ten nearly every year. This isn't going to do much to change that.

Reactions: 2 people
As an ETSU grad and a Vols fanatic (obviously) I am really excited about this game. I think it will be exciting for ETSU.

It will not affect an SEC team's strength of schedule to play an FCS team. In addition FSU, Oregon, and Alabama all played FCS schools this year.

It is like an extra bye week. It could be scheduled for the week before Bama thus giving Butch and his staff extra gameplan time and the ability to rest starters. It is a positive, but alas someone will always b*tch.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back