Vols Thursday practice 4/15

Fingers

Black jerseys: LaTrell Bumphus, Riley Locklear, Len’Neth Whitehead, Donieko Slaughter, Tiyon Evans, Jimmy Holiday, Warren Barrell, Kenneth George, No Malachi Wideman, Jeremy Banks

Limited: Kenny Solomon

Went inside after stretch: Cade Mays, Roman Harrison, Kingston Harris, LaTrell Bumphus, Riley Locklear

QBs: Order: Bailey, Hooker, Maurer

RBs: Jerry Mack was very animated right off the bat as Tiyon Evans messed up a drill and Mack called upon Jabari Small.

Josh Heupel bounced around from offense to defense while the media was present. Former Vol Jim Bob Cooter was at practice.
a.price

The Vols must have had a very physical practice on Tuesday, because there were a few more players limited or in non-contact jerseys than normal, though some of that also could be workload management and wanting to have them availability on Saturday.

Evans has been nursing an ankle injury for the past couple of weeks, but you wouldn't know it watching him go through running back drills. The junior college transfer is a thick 5-foot-11 and 220 pounds, but he showed off some quick feet (and some confidence on his ankle) in a drill where the backs had to chop their way past a couple of blocking pads on the ground and then make a cut to avoid another one tossed at them. There's been some positive buzz about the running backs this spring and Evans hasn't even gotten a true chance to show what he can do in a full-pads practice.

With Mays and Harris not practicing, Tennessee's offensive line had a bit of a new look. Dayne Davis, the former walk-on, continues to get work at left tackle with the first group, which included Jerome Carvin at left guard, Cooper Mays at center, Javontez Spraggins at right guard and Darnell Wright at right tackle. The second group from left to right went K'Rojhn Calbert, Jackson Lampley, Ollie Lane, Chris Akporoghene and RJ Perry.

Notable change to the quarterback order through routes-on-air work had Harrison Bailey throwing first, followed by Hendon Hooker and then Brian Maurer. All three quarterbacks were sharp on boundary corner routes, though Bailey had a misfire to Walker Merrill over the middle when he thought the freshman was settling down on his crossing route instead of continuing along his path. Wide Jalin Hyatt again went through drills as he works his way back into things, and freshman tight end Miles Campbell looks athletic and comfortable running routes and had a nice leaping snag.
p.brown

Tennessee WR Jalin Hyatt was back out there for the second consecutive day, working with his group. Tiyon Evans was in a no-contact jersey, as was Kenneth George, Deneiko Slaughter Jimmy Holiday, Warren Burrell and LaTrell Bumphus. Malachi Wideman and Jeremy Banks were not present.

Cade Mays, LaTrell Bumphus and Roman Harrison all went inside following the stretch period.
t.wallace

Last edited:
I guess that horrid background noise is a sign of the times but it just seems wrong to be playing that garbage at practice.
Why don't you walk right out there on the field and tell them to turn down their music......and get off your lawn for kicks. It would be a nice diversion for those who would get to watch you get used at a tackling dummy.

Why don't you walk right out there on the field and tell them to turn down their music......and get off your lawn for kicks. It would be a nice diversion for those who would get to watch you get used at a tackling dummy.
He doesn't want to be "that guy"

Reactions: Sara Clark
The music is garbage. There is such thing as clean rap music. They literally posted a Vol Video of workouts and the music said “ Inna kitchen cookin that dope up.” 4 days later our boys get popped with dope charges. This is a University, not a street corner.
And yet one of the greatest rocks songs of all time, dirty deeds done dirt cheap, is about being a hit man....what’s your point?

1. To say "Dirty Deeds" is one of the greatest rock songs is to put personal opinion way, way out in front of actual musical knowledge or any semblance of aesthetic standard. There are hundreds, more likely thousands, of better rock songs. Back into the realm of taste, I personally never cared for AC/DC expressly because I was offput by their lyrics even when I was a teenager and listening to the likes of Black Sabbath.
2. "Macarena" has even less going for it than the above-referenced song. It's fluff that made a hack a lot of money. I never cared for it, before I knew what it was about; now I care even less for it.
3. There are plenty of songs I appreciate that have less than spotless messages. Much of Led Zeppelin's oeuvre carries less than admirable sentiments; but their originality and musical achievement are so singular that they trump the randiness.
4. Rap music is one thing; listening to music that openly glorifies something not only highly illegal, but more specifically something our football team just encountered major difficulty from scant weeks ago, is just wildly, incomprehensibly foolish and negligent on the part of our coaches. It's akin to if they were playing music glorifying rape two weeks after multiple players on the team got charged with rape. I think it's more than a little facile and flippant to dismiss criticism of such music with the cliched thought that any such criticism is just the grumpiness of an old man. If we have another drug deal gone bad that involves our players a month from now, and one of them kills someone in the process, will the music still be harmless then?

Again, to emphasize: I have listened to a lot of less-than-holy stuff in my day. But there's a vast, vast difference between music that is listened to by one or two or even a dozen players in a dorm room apart from the coaches, and music that is openly endorsed by the men who are supposedly teaching the players how to be better men (and, beyond that, the men who are getting paid millions to, among other things, see to it that this football program is not KO'ed by the NCAA). After all, every coach talks about that being a big part of his job, and I thought our current HC talked about that right after he was hired...

VN Store

Back