Vols that departed via the Portal

I forgot lyn-j dixon was here what is he doing? Did he play anywhere this year or just sit out?

I think we gained more than we lost in the portal.

Copied from an article from Off the Hook: "On Wednesday, the transfer portal closed. Tennessee football lost 14 players to the portal while picking up eight. They can still add transfers, but nobody else can enter." Have not verified these numbers.

Last edited:
Of the losses, I hate losing Jackson, Williams-Thomas and Phillips. All three could be stars in power 5 conferences. Jackson went to challenge for the starting job at Indiana (and to go to school with his brother) and that makes sense for him - Joe looked good in the bowl game and Nico might be a generational talent. It’s gonna be tough for any school to have a third quality QB on roster. William-Thomas has enormous talent and was thought to be our best back in last years class but he was slowed with injuries and couldn’t get any higher than 4th on the depth chart with all three guys ahead of him returning. Phillips was down the depth chart but he has great body size for an interior lineman on the DL and it seems most of our interior DL are juniors or seniors. But I guess he was looking for more immediate playing time.

Overall I agree we got more than we lost…but I’d like to have been able to keep these three.

Copied from an article from Off the Hook: "On Wednesday, the transfer portal closed. Tennessee football lost 14 players to the portal while picking up eight. They can still add transfers, but nobody else can enter." Have not verified these numbers.

Pretty sure he was talking about quality…not quantity

giphy.gif

Reactions: SpaceCoastVol
I guess few players choose a school out of loyalty and desire to help the program anymore. Sadly, it all seems to be about self and $$$ these days.

If you get buried on the depth chart and want to play, why wouldn’t you go somewhere else?

I don’t think we lost anyone to a better NIL deal at another school. It’s all about playing time.

If you get buried on the depth chart and want to play, why wouldn’t you go somewhere else?

I don’t think we lost anyone to a better NIL deal at another school. It’s all about playing time.
Just seeing the ticker tape scrolling on ESPN saying Florida's QB just backed out of his commitment because his million dollar NIL deal fell through. Just weeks ago we heard that a few Vol players were unhappy that some players had NIL deals and they did not. I think it's opened a can of worms, but I hope I'm wrong.

Ha ha, nice try at a spin but no.

Let me rephrase that then…I am certain he is talking about quality rather than quantity…because anyone capable of kindergarten level math can determine that 14 is greater than 8…it’s not spin, it’s reading comprehension and the application of basic critical thought

Not even close. The guys who left just opened up scholarships to add better players. The only one I’d want back is Jackson, for QB depth.

It says a lot about the caliber of recruit Pruitt brought in when very few go to other P5 programs. Jackson & the RB Heupel signed went to P5 programs.

Who would care about sheer numbers to date in January, while you can still add transfers? The numbers will eventually even out. He obviously was speaking talent-wise, and of players who should be able contribute to the 2023 team on the field.

Just seeing the ticker tape scrolling on ESPN saying Florida's QB just backed out of his commitment because his million dollar NIL deal fell through. Just weeks ago we heard that a few Vol players were unhappy that some players had NIL deals and they did not. I think it's opened a can of worms, but I hope I'm wrong.
I don't think you are

VN Store

Back