Vols Spring Practice #8

Fingers

Thursday’s scrimmage will incorporate special teams – as should the Orange & White Game – so that’s been a bigger focus this week, as well as trying to find some quality returners.
With Cam Seldon and freshman Peyton Lewis sidelined this spring, DeSean Bishop and Khalifa Keith are out to prove they can be counted on as depth pieces for the fall.
The receivers and quarterbacks were getting some work in with routes on air, running hitches, slants and curls. It looks like Chris Brazzell is continuing to catch the football better and seems to be more comfortable running routes in this offense as each practice goes by.
One note that might be absolutely nothing but just something we picked up on this morning, Chaz Nimrod was running routes on the opposite side as he has been this spring. On one side, it’s Thornton and Mike Matthews on the outside getting reps while on the other side it’s Kaleb Webb, Chris Brazzell and now Chas Nimrod. Braylon Staley and Squirrel White continue to get reps out of the slot in the middle.
Webb received a ‘good job’ and some more praise from Kelsey Pope after running a post pattern this morning – making the catch and taking the hard contact over the middle from the assistant with a pad.
e.cain

We did not see either center Cooper Mays or defensive end James Pearce Jr. at practice, either with their respective position groups or working on the side. Mays has been on the fringes of most practices this spring, and Pearce is dealing with an ankle injury. They obviously are two guys the Vols probably should be extra-cautious with this time of year, because you need them in the fall more than you need them in the spring.
Redshirt freshman Nathan Leacock also was the most involved we’ve seen him this spring. The former top-100 recruit was in uniform and went through stretch and individual drills, running behind Thornton and freshman Mike Matthews in one of the outside lines during routes-on-air. However, Leacock joined the players working on the side after that period, so whatever is troubling him doesn’t appear to be entirely resolved.
We didn’t see Jackson Lampley out there for the second straight practice.
Andre Turrentine broke the team down between stretch and the start of individual periods, another sign of his emergence this offseason.
The most notable thing here was freshman Boo Carter took some reps at safety rather than Star. Willie Martinez said Carter is starting to gain some confidence in the communication aspect of those positions, and working him at multiple positions suggests that is the case as the Vols put more on the touted newcomer’s plate.
Without having to deal with a slick field and wet football, Tennessee’s passing-game work was pretty crisp on Wednesday morning. Outside of a drop by Braylon Staley and Squirrel White slipping coming out of his break, there were few footballs on the ground. The Vols worked a lot of the shorter aspects of their passing game with hooks, comebacks and slants.
Thornton has had a solid spring so far, Brazzell and Matthews were scrimmage standouts last week and we heard Webb made one impressive catch in Monday’s practice – lots of competition going on there as guys try to impress the staff.
More four-man work for the offensive line as the group worked through some of its blocking schemes. The order went Dayne Davis then Ayden Bussell at right guard, Vysen Lang then William Satterwhite at center, Shamurad Umarov then Max Anderson at right guard and Lance Heard then Jesse Perry and Gage Ginther at left tackle. The right tackles were John Campbell Jr., Larry Johnson III and Trevor Duncan.
p.brown

It wasn’t particularly Tennessee’s sharpest day during the routes on air portion of practice. Nico Iamaleava overthrew Squirrel White on an out route, early enrollee freshman Braylon Staley got some work with Iamaleava and did drop one pass over the middle. Besides that, Iamaleava was pretty efficient.
But it wasn’t the best day for his backups. Early enrollee freshman Jake Merklinger dropped one snap and but picked it up and made an accurate throw. Offensive coordinator and quarterback coach Joey Halzle was frequently working with Merklinger between reps.
Defensive back Christian Charles and linebacker Elijah Herring were working off to the side as they deal with injuries. Arion Carter was in shells and was in-and-out of participating in drills with the rest of the linebacker group.
Cornerback Kaleb Beasley was absent from practice as he will be the rest of spring due to injury. I also didn’t spot star edge rusher James Pearce Jr. at the open portion of practice.
r.schumpert

I hope that those being held out are still in pads/shells. There is something to be said about being comfortable in uniform.

Reactions: Smokey19rt
Is it just me or does very little of this sound very good?

I always love how one outfit reports a very crisp session from the QBs and WRs; then another outfit cautions us that they look sloppy.

I guess that all works out in the end to give us a fairly balanced feel for it 😃
My favorite part is where schumperts says Nico and the passing game struggled, then points out 1 overthrow and a drop, then says other than that Nico was efficient.

WILL YOU MAKE UP YOUR DANG MIND SCHUMP?

My favorite part is where schumperts says Nico and the passing game struggled, then points out 1 overthrow and a drop, then says other than that Nico was efficient.

WILL YOU MAKE UP YOUR DANG MIND SCHUMP?
At least he didn’t talk about routes on air. GBO.

Reactions: VOLfrombama
One of the things I've noticed in the practice videos is the increase in speed and quickness. This is especially true in the footwork drills for the DBs and LBs/ DL. Notice how much faster their feet are in the drills. This wasn't the case in previous years. Just shows how improved and more athletic the roster is.

Funny thought: It's almost like the videos are on fast forward on their drills!!!

One of the things I've noticed in the practice videos is the increase in speed and quickness. This is especially true in the footwork drills for the DBs and LBs/ DL. Notice how much faster their feet are in the drills. This wasn't the case in previous years. Just shows how improved and more athletic the roster is.

Funny thought: It's almost like the videos are on fast forward on their drills!!!
I thought it was just my vivid imagination. And the guys don’t lollygag to take the rep. From day one, it didn’t seem like they had a lot of rust to work off. Very promising.

VN Store

Back