Vols should pursue against ESPN....

I wasn't able to watch the first 5 innings was there an apology by the ESPN broadcasters?

I wasn't able to watch the first 5 innings was there an apology by the ESPN broadcasters?

Yes, in the first inning. The broadcast team doing our game apologized on behalf of the network. The announcer who made the false statements apologized earlier today in the game he was calling, and he apologized in writing on Twitter.

Okay, I'm late to the party, what happened?

They could either go scorched earth on ESPN or focus on winning a championship. I think they are choosing to let it go and get back to work
I mean the program has a general counsel. Doesn’t have to be either or in this case. I would’ve been fine with letting it go but the disingenuous apology by Eklund just kind of pissed me off more.

I'm no lawyer, but I suspect we all have no real choice but to let it go. They apologized and said it was a mistake, there are no proven tangible damages, so what is there to really sue over? Real lawyers weigh in ?

It was a stupid mistake. Nobody would argue that it wasn't. But that was a nice apology during the game, and hopefully apologies will air a few more times. Maybe it should be dropped.

I'm hoping there's an investigation to uncover who posted that initial tweet from the fake account so that individual Vols can go after them if they choose, but I'm afraid ESPN would be petty enough to retaliate against UT with diminished coverage if there's a huge public lawsuit brought against them.

im sorry, but UT has a little of this stink on their hands as well. all vitello or someone in the UT public relations had to do before the game was to say "evan russell turned up ill this morning and on the advice of our doctors is unavailable tonight" and that would have been the end of it. you dont have to say that he had the tijuana squirts or anything like that, but the way that it was presented as something they will address after the game and being so vague led people to start looking for their "sources" on the team to get the story and quite frankly when you hear a statement put out like that it is easy to think the worse, because most every time i can think of them waiting to address it after the game it usually is pretty bad. and quite frankly, i am not sure UT wants a lawsuit where, if someone inside the organization had told the reporter that was the story, that they would want that put out in public either, because i doubt you could get away without naming names if it went to court. rather than getting your undies in a wad and feeling somehow disrespected, we should all be thankful this was one of those times that addressing it after the game didnt turn out all that bad and the season can move along

Reactions: Tnwoodsman
I'm no lawyer, but I suspect we all have no real choice but to let it go. They apologized and said it was a mistake, there are no proven tangible damages, so what is there to really sue over? Real lawyers weigh in ?
No damages. Heck, it could be argued that his reputation has been enhanced by the whole episode. Time to move on everyone.

Reactions: vol66
im sorry, but UT has a little of this stink on their hands as well. all vitello or someone in the UT public relations had to do before the game was to say "evan russell turned up ill this morning and on the advice of our doctors is unavailable tonight" and that would have been the end of it. you dont have to say that he had the tijuana squirts or anything like that, but the way that it was presented as something they will address after the game and being so vague led people to start looking for their "sources" on the team to get the story and quite frankly when you hear a statement put out like that it is easy to think the worse, because most every time i can think of them waiting to address it after the game it usually is pretty bad. and quite frankly, i am not sure UT wants a lawsuit where, if someone inside the organization had told the reporter that was the story, that they would want that put out in public either, because i doubt you could get away without naming names if it went to court. rather than getting your undies in a wad and feeling somehow disrespected, we should all be thankful this was one of those times that addressing it after the game didnt turn out all that bad and the season can move along
Are you suggesting someone inside the organization told some reporter that the player failed a PED test and that the entire team would be undergoing NCAA-mandated PED testing?

Are you suggesting someone inside the organization told some reporter that the player failed a PED test and that the entire team would be undergoing NCAA-mandated PED testing?

I don't know who told who what and it sounds crazy that someone from UT would say that, but it is also crazy to think a reporter would jeopardize his career by just spouting that with nothing to back it up, at least in his mind he thought he had a source. I mean, if he were to tell his bosses he just figured it had to be that so he figured he would report it, he is fired. On the spot. No questions asked. Truth be told, I doubt anyone will ever know the true story of how this all went down, but I do bet there is probably something from the UT side they would rather not get out. Enough reports from multiple people left the impression this was going to be worse than it was for me to believe that they were all guessing and just chasing a story. But hey, maybe they were all in on a conspiracy against the team they cover

I don't know who told who what and it sounds crazy that someone from UT would say that, but it is also crazy to think a reporter would jeopardize his career by just spouting that with nothing to back it up, at least in his mind he thought he had a source. I mean, if he were to tell his bosses he just figured it had to be that so he figured he would report it, he is fired. On the spot. No questions asked. Truth be told, I doubt anyone will ever know the true story of how this all went down, but I do bet there is probably something from the UT side they would rather not get out. Enough reports from multiple people left the impression this was going to be worse than it was for me to believe that they were all guessing and just chasing a story. But hey, maybe they were all in on a conspiracy against the team they cover
You are making this so much more complicated than it needs to be.
Here is exactly what happened. An Arkansas fan on Twitter changed his profile appearing as someone who was connected with Tennessee. He made a post that was fake. We all knew pretty quickly it was fake. The ESPN announcer took what he read and went with the story on the air. It was identical to what the Razorback troll posted.
That’s it, end of story. There is no conspiracy within the Vol program of anyone leaking info like you are insinuating.

The announcer should have remained quiet, since he had no solid information. However, all Vitello needed to say at the beginning was, " Russell is sick", and no one including the fans, would have been in the dark. Why was that simple answer not given? It would have been as easy to say, "he's sick" as to say, "i will address this after the game. We were all unnecessarily left wondering what happened.

This is why newspapers (and at one time, TV news/sports departments) have EDITORS.

It's analogous to the court system: you have one person trying to prove it's true, and another tasked to prove it's not. Ideally, in the end, you find the truth--or at least, you don't punish the innocent.

Back when we moved to a 24-hour news cycle, I told my wife, "I wish one of these networks would start a show called Yesterday's Headlines where they would correct everything that had been broadcast erroneously over the previous 24 hours in the rush to be first to break a story."

Reactions: MackDaddyVol
I saw this headline that Eklund had written a second apology. I was curious/impressed that he'd taken the time (and the legal risk) to write a personal letter. I was also curious who had received (and released to the press) that letter.

ESPN announcer Troy Eklund pens second apology regarding Evan Russell comments - daytonews

"Penned?" He tweeted! Does that headline mean he used a stylus to poke out the letters?

If you've ever handwritten anything from your heart, you know the difference between punching out letters on a screen and expressing your thoughts and emotions on paper using your own handwriting. It makes us vulnerable, and creates a deeper connection between us and the recipient.

I don't mind being tech-savvy, but what are we losing, of ourselves and our civilization, to technology?

I guess I'm not ready to go quietly into some Borgian, hybrid-human future where we submit more and more of our humanity to digital efficiency. We are sentient beings, created in the image of God, unique among all other creatures. We have a conscience, and the ability to reason and make decisions. But we are fast devolving into tools that technology uses--all in pursuit of speed and efficiency.
------

“The machine tends not only to create a new human environment, but also to modify man's very essence. The milieu in which he lives is no longer his. He must adapt himself, as though the world were new, to a universe for which he was not created.

He was made to go six kilometers an hour, and he goes a thousand. He was made to eat when he was hungry and to sleep when he was sleepy; instead, he obeys a clock. He was made to have contact with living things, and he lives in a world of stone [a world of electrons, today]. He was created with a certain essential unity, and he is fragmented by all the forces of the modern world.”

― Jacques Ellul, The Technological Society (1954)

VN Store

Back