Vols' shopping list of talent

Athensvol

Hooker: Vols' shopping list of talent
By DAVE HOOKER, hookerd@knews.com
November 9, 2006

Suddenly Tennessee's 2007 class is almost complete.

The Vols have 16 original commitments after defensive tackle Donald Langley from Seneca Valley High School in Germantown, Md., and tailback/linebacker Savion Frazier from Gar-Field High in Woodbridge, Va., offered their verbal pledges this week.

Add in UT's four academic casualties from last year --offensive lineman Cody Pope, receiver/cornerback Stephaun Raines, receiver Brent Vinson and linebacker Gerald Williams -- and the Vols have 20 promised signatures for National Signing Day.

That leaves UT with five to eight more slots, depending on its prospects' academic situations for 2007. Here are some possibilities that would have UT's coaches gleeful come February:

Marvin Austin: The 6-foot-2, 290-pound defensive lineman from Ballou High in Washington, D.C., took his official visit to UT last weekend. Austin seemed to fit in well, but was it enough to overcome Florida State?

Eric Berry: He is one of the most versatile athletes in the South. That means UT will have to fight off a long list of suitors to secure Berry's services. The 5-11, 195-pounder has always said good things about the Vols.

Travaris Cadet: Any class could use one of South Florida's top athletes or an athletic quarterback. This 6-0, 190-pounder from Miami Central is both, and UT is in great shape. Once Cadet takes his official visit, UT's coaches and fans will know more about where they stand with Cadet.

Lennon Creer: The 6-1, 200-pound tailback from Tatum (Texas) High seemed like he was close to committing to UT two months ago. Now, the prospects for the Vols seem a little less sure. Oklahoma State could be the team to beat.

Chris Donald: Everyone knows about Donald. He's the News Sentinel's top prospect in the state. He's deciding between UT and Notre Dame. He'll make his announcement in January at the U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio. Will the 6-2, 220-pound Huntingdon High star slip through UT's fingers? Not likely.

Kristofer O'Dowd: The 6-5, 315-pound offensive lineman from Salpointe Catholic in Tucson, Ariz., could be a tough pickup. But the fact that he visited Knoxville in September must have UT's coaches hopeful.

Ahmad Paige: UT needs a wide receiver (or more) in this year's class. The Vols have plenty to offer, such as playing time and a passing offense. Is it enough for the 6-3, 175-pounder from Sterlington (La.) High? Losing to LSU during his official visit couldn't have helped.

Matt Romine: UT could use some beef in its 2007 class. The 6-6, 290-pound offensive lineman from Union High in Tulsa, Okla., definitely fits the bill. Can ace recruiter Steve Caldwell pull another top prospect out of Oklahoma as he did with receiver Robert Meachem in 2003?

Harrison Smith: There hasn't been much news on Smith recently. It's going to come down to UT and Notre Dame for the 6-2, 205-pound safety/linebacker from Catholic. You know UT doesn't want to lose one from its backyard but that may be out of the Vols' control.

Terrance Tolliver: What's not to like about one of the top receivers in the country? Tolliver took an official visit to UT last week. Now the 6-4, 185-pounder will compare UT to the nation's other elite programs.

Chris Walker: The 6-4, 220-pound linebacker is last on this list (because it's in alphabetical order), but is surely one of the most likely to end up with the Vols. The hard hitter from Memphis Christian Brothers has long said UT is in good shape among his list of suitors.

i forgot all about Stephaun Raines. does anyone know anything else about him besides him not qualifying last year? in the end, i think that we'll end up with berry, donald, and walker; but i think phil may have a few suprises up his sleeve.

yeah if we get 5 of those players we are set not only for next year, but for the next two to three years after that.

What about Dwight Jones? Interesting that he isn't mentioned anywhere.

I do not think Butch Davis taking the UNC job will have that much effect on Dwight Jones. But, I could be wrong. If he keeps the assistant coaches around then Dwight Jones will be a very tough pull. But, if he cleans house and bring in a new staff (likely) then Dwight Jones is going to be up for grabs.

Butch Davis was always one of the best recruiters in college football, of course, he did it at the U in talent rich Florida, but I suspect that Jones stays in Carolina

Last years class is not going to provide depth, but there could be some All-SEC players out of last year's class.

VN Store

Back