Vols ranked No. 18 in latest AP Poll

TN hasn't even been in the regular season Top 25 since Bruce was the coach. Cuonzo's last team was in the final 2013 poll.

Yes... we need one of these weekly. :)

I read that this is Tennessee's highest ranking since 2010. Crazy, if true, which I assume it is.

In December 2010, after we won the P-NIT, we were up to #7 before the crap hit the fan, then dropped to #19, then shortly after unranked.

Reactions: 2 people
Think I predicted 18th, what do I win?!?!

Glad to see UK didn’t jump us, no reason they should have but some thought they might. I am surprised that UNC fell as far as they did, I would’ve likely lost that bet. Gonna be hard to move up much from here without doing some serious work imo, I don’t foresee 2 wins this week moving the needle much.

Reactions: 1 person

Glad to see UK didn’t jump us, no reason they should have but some thought they might. I am surprised that UNC fell as far as they did, I would’ve likely lost that bet. Gonna be hard to move up much from here without doing some serious work imo, I don’t foresee 2 wins this week moving the needle much.

By themselves, no, two wins over decent SEC teams won't do much. But if this week is like basically every other week so far this season, there should be some losses by teams ranked ahead of us.

New ranking is about what most of us expected. We were starved of a ranked team for so long, and now all of a sudden we've got a team that has been ranked for the majority of the season. A very nice change.

Reactions: 1 person

Totally depends on what the rest of the team's ahead and directly behind us do. Auburn beat Missouri and LSU and moved up 8 spots this week.

I still remember the a** stomping we put on Nova in that tourney like it was yesterday.

Gave 'em a pretty good ass-whipping this season for a half.
A victory in that game would be looking pretty sweet right now.

Last edited:
By themselves, no, two wins over decent SEC teams won't do much. But if this week is like basically every other week so far this season, there should be some losses by teams ranked ahead of us.

New ranking is about what most of us expected. We were starved of a ranked team for so long, and now all of a sudden we've got a team that has been ranked for the majority of the season. A very nice change.

No I was referring as well to teams ahead of us, that was my point...St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and Wichita State aren’t nearly as likely to lose as other P5 teams, so that only leaves WVU and Ohio State immediately in front of us as teams we would likely surpass if we went 2-0 and they were to lose.

Totally depends on what the rest of the team's ahead and directly behind us do. Auburn beat Missouri and LSU and moved up 8 spots this week.

They’re finally starting to get the national recognition they’re deserving of, I’m not sure they’re the #11 team but they deserve that ranking. With who’s in front of us right now and their records I just don’t see a big jump as likely...for example if Auburn goes 1-1 and we go 2-0 I would expect them to still be ahead of us.

JMO

They’re finally starting to get the national recognition they’re deserving of, I’m not sure they’re the #11 team but they deserve that ranking. With who’s in front of us right now and their records I just don’t see a big jump as likely...for example if Auburn goes 1-1 and we go 2-0 I would expect them to still be ahead of us.

JMO

Well, sure. A better record and a H2H win over us. That's not a great example.

On the contrary, we go 2-0 and Oklahoma, WVU, Ohio St, Gonzaga, and/or Wichita St slip up, then we make a move. We have similar records to all those teams. I'm not predicting an 8 place jump like Auburn (I think that was as much a correction of their ranking as anything), but a potential 3-4 spot jump is definitely possible if those teams continue to slide.

No I was referring as well to teams ahead of us, that was my point...St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and Wichita State aren’t nearly as likely to lose as other P5 teams, so that only leaves WVU and Ohio State immediately in front of us as teams we would likely surpass if we went 2-0 and they were to lose.

Fair enough.

As an aside, if you look at the resumes for Gonzaga and St. Mary's ... man, it's hard not to scratch your head. Especially with St. Mary's. Their only good win is Gonzaga, and their losses are to Washington State and Georgia. Doesn't feeling deserving of a top 15 ranking.

I know both of them have a bit of name recognition now, but the proof is definitely not in the pudding this year.

Barnes is getting it done. He a great coach. He has them playing Team BB. He's a good man. Great to see them doing so well. Are they going to win the National Championship? No, but they are doing some really good things and fun to watch.

Reactions: 6 people
Well, sure. A better record and a H2H win over us. That's not a great example.

On the contrary, we go 2-0 and Oklahoma, WVU, Ohio St, Gonzaga, and/or Wichita St slip up, then we make a move. We have similar records to all those teams. I'm not predicting an 8 place jump like Auburn (I think that was as much a correction of their ranking as anything), but a potential 3-4 spot jump is definitely possible if those teams continue to slide.

I forgot about Wichita’s move to the American, so I was basically looking at St. Mary’s, Gonzaga and Wichita as 3 teams very unlikely to lose again...only other teams ahead of us with 5 losses would be Oklahoma, West Virginia and Ohio State...so that’s what I was looking at and thinking that best case scenario is all 3 lose (obviously unlikely) and we move up at most 3 spots.

But yea Wichita could be thrown into that mix of teams as well, I just see a 1-2 spot move as most likely if we go 2-0 this week...obviously that’s not a bad thing, beats the alternative, just not getting myself excited thinking a Top 15 is likely.

Fair enough.

As an aside, if you look at the resumes for Gonzaga and St. Mary's ... man, it's hard not to scratch your head. Especially with St. Mary's. Their only good win is Gonzaga, and their losses are to Washington State and Georgia. Doesn't feeling deserving of a top 15 ranking.

I know both of them have a bit of name recognition now, but the proof is definitely not in the pudding this year.
I wouldn’t be surprised if we kept winning if we pass them up even if our loss total is higher.

I'm more impressed by the KenPom numbers.

This is also true...while being ranked is nice for various reasons the committee doesn’t use it at all, they do however use those advanced metrics rankings like RPI, KenPom, Sagarin etc.

This...polls don't mean much except as an ego boost. Your chair at the dance is really what matters. 3 seed would be pretty awesome given the recent trend of the program. GBO!

VN Store

Back