Vols Ranked 4th -- get with it ... Putnam County

Fullfillmer

Ok - I will describe this as a bit of an important Public Service Announcement.

Unfortunately this is very bad news. Coronavirus Alert.

Both trajectories of new cases and some other measure that I didn't capture - ( could be deaths ) -
Putnam County has the fourth highest avg. daily growth rates of cases in the U. S. as was outlined in the New York Times today.
Highest avg. daily growth rates of cases
Metro Area Recent cases Daily Growth Rate
1. Sherman- Denison, Texas 208 11%
2. Yuma, Ariz. 327 8%
3. Faribault-Northfield, Minn. 259 8%
4. Cookeville, Tenn. 171 7%

If this trend continues it could threaten the successful containment of COVID in Upper Cumberland which was attained during the costly lockdown.

I know people who visit Putnam County and the story that I have gotten is not very flattering regarding how they are responding to the virus over there with pretty much little to no precaution whatsoever. Putnam County has blown past Knox County for total number of cases with a fifth of the population and could threaten the entire state. Look what New York City did to spread the virus to the entire state of New York.

I am not a public heath expert and don't want to be an alarmist - but we are trying to open the university and play football over here so ….. sounds like we have a budding emergency an hour and 15 minutes west of us that's pretty severe and they don't even know that there is a problem. If you live or know of anyone in Putnam County …… please alert them. If you have other suggestions please advise.

Thanks,

These are extremely small communities that had virtually zero COVID cases until recently. So, even a small uptick in cases will result in extreme percentage increase, which is why it is a foolish metric in this case.

Last edited:
I know people who visit Putnam County and the story that I have gotten is not very flattering regarding how they are responding to the virus over there with pretty much little to no precaution whatsoever.

If you live or know of anyone in Putnam County …… please alert them.

Thanks,

What are the people telling you that visit Putnam County that is not flattering in their response to the virus?

What do we alert them about?

I'm not seeing how these numbers add up...Putnam County has 350 cases as of Friday (5/22), but the avg. daily growth rate is 171...I am not seeing how that matches. Their numbers increased 110 since Monday. 29 increase since Thursday. There does seem to be an increase, but more are being tested (or testing is available). The deaths from virus remain at 5 for Putnam County....which has been on that number for a while now.

I'm not seeing how these numbers add up...Putnam County has 350 cases as of Friday (5/22), but the avg. daily growth rate is 171...I am not seeing how that matches. Their numbers increased 110 since Monday. 29 increase since Thursday. There does seem to be an increase, but more are being tested (or testing is available). The deaths from virus remain at 5 for Putnam County....which has been on that number for a while now.

That's a pretty big uptick. My gf lives there and so I have kept tabs on Knox and Putnam since this thing started. Putnam County which isn't all that small with a population over 80,000 was running about half Knox Counties totals for months and in the past week have blown past Knox County. 110 new cases since Monday is a huge spike when you consider Knox County has only had 330 or so total cases since this began. Over there everyone is dining out and going to gyms, shopping etc. without really keeping six feet away from others and no one is wearing a mask. There appears to be no social distancing at all.

29 since Thursday …… that's 29 in one day. Averaging over 20 new cases a day for the week …. Knox County has averages 2 to 5 new cases a day and we are 6 times bigger.
If they don't get control over it - they will have thousands of cases in a couple of months and a lot of deaths to go along with it.
They honestly need to consider some pretty drastic measures - they appear to have allowed the virus to spread like a small wildfire over there the last week or so.

I am not sure how they can turn it off once it starts blazing. I was over there for a few days when we lost a couple of people in the Tornado - and let's just say some of them are not very in tune with things. I think the more we can do to put out warnings the better.

East Tennessee has been blessed and people here have really done great on social distancing and taking other measures but that will go out the window if 10 per cent of the population of the Plateau get it and shop in Knoxville and visit the Smokies this summer. Knox County has been on a downward trajectory …… despite what CA_Vol says - this really concerns me.

If Putnam County is adding 1000 cases a month and they only have 80,000 people I would say that is spreading at an epidemic rate. Just like Nashville needing a plan for out of state tourists, Putnam County needs an immediate plan.

Both trajectories of new cases and some other measure that I didn't capture - ( could be deaths ) -
Putnam County has the fourth highest avg. daily growth rates of cases in the U. S. as was outlined in the New York Times today.
2. Yuma, Ariz. 327 8%

If this trend continues it could threaten the successful containment of COVID in Upper Cumberland which was attained during the costly lockdown.

I know people who visit Putnam County and the story that I have gotten is not very flattering regarding how they are responding to the virus over there with pretty much little to no precaution whatsoever. Putnam County has blown past Knox County for total number of cases with a fifth of the population and could threaten the entire state. Look what New York City did to spread the virus to the entire state of New York.

I am not a public heath expert and don't want to be an alarmist - but we are trying to open the university and play football over here so ….. sounds like we have a budding emergency an hour and 15 minutes west of us that's pretty severe and they don't even know that there is a problem. If you live or know of anyone in Putnam County …… please alert them. If you have other suggestions please advise.

Thanks,
According to the CDC they have 232 cases of covid and 109 of those have already recovered. Almost 20% of those were from a nursing home and 3 out of the 5 deaths were from that same nursing home. I get the concern but I don't believe there's any need to go sounding the nuclear alarms

According to the CDC they have 232 cases of covid and 109 of those have already recovered. Almost 20% of those were from a nursing home and 3 out of the 5 deaths were from that same nursing home. I get the concern but I don't believe there's any need to go sounding the nuclear alarms

That is old data. They have 350 confirmed cases. I would guess 128 new cases since the CDC last updated. I can neither confirm nor deny the nursing home deaths - I can confirm that their confirmed cases appear to have jumped dramatically.

There may in fact at some point be a need to sound the nuclear alarm - I would rather err on the side of caution vs. the opposite.

That is old data. They have 350 confirmed cases. I would guess 128 new cases since the CDC last updated. I can neither confirm nor deny the nursing home deaths - I can confirm that their confirmed cases appear to have jumped dramatically.

There may in fact at some point be a need to sound the nuclear alarm - I would rather err on the side of caution vs. the opposite.
I see it now, still the positive test rate is .09% that's well below the national average. Tennessee has ramped up its testing dramatically so there will be more cases. Also they said in Tennessee there is a lag period so that huge jump could have been cumulative from several days of testing. 27 people did not contract covid in 1 day. See how it shakes out, if its that bad then go get your girlfriend

Reactions: Samthebam
And why would anyone really think that the shutdown was a long-term solution?
  1. the virus has not disappeared, taken a vacation or left our shores.
  2. It is, like the flu, highly contagious.
  3. Fortunately, it's morbidity is pretty low overall according to what I've read so far; it is slightly above the normal flu strains we see. It is not like we are dealing with the bubonic plague or cholera.
We get out of this by establishing herd immunity. Either through a vaccine, hopefully, or the virus completes its run through the population. I may get it and die. I may have already had it. Nature, God or both, if you will, provided us with immune systems. This is what the immune system is all about. We cannot stay shutdown forever, that is just dying by a slower method.

That's it. Buckle up. We're in for a ride, but I'm going to face it with my boots on.

That's a pretty big uptick. My gf lives there and so I have kept tabs on Knox and Putnam since this thing started. Putnam County which isn't all that small with a population over 80,000 was running about half Knox Counties totals for months and in the past week have blown past Knox County. 110 new cases since Monday is a huge spike when you consider Knox County has only had 330 or so total cases since this began. Over there everyone is dining out and going to gyms, shopping etc. without really keeping six feet away from others and no one is wearing a mask. There appears to be no social distancing at all.

29 since Thursday …… that's 29 in one day. Averaging over 20 new cases a day for the week …. Knox County has averages 2 to 5 new cases a day and we are 6 times bigger.
If they don't get control over it - they will have thousands of cases in a couple of months and a lot of deaths to go along with it.
They honestly need to consider some pretty drastic measures - they appear to have allowed the virus to spread like a small wildfire over there the last week or so.

I am not sure how they can turn it off once it starts blazing. I was over there for a few days when we lost a couple of people in the Tornado - and let's just say some of them are not very in tune with things. I think the more we can do to put out warnings the better.

East Tennessee has been blessed and people here have really done great on social distancing and taking other measures but that will go out the window if 10 per cent of the population of the Plateau get it and shop in Knoxville and visit the Smokies this summer. Knox County has been on a downward trajectory …… despite what CA_Vol says - this really concerns me.

My son works for a restaurant chain there. He says almost no one wears a mask, and people constantly complain about the distance between occupied tablest/booths, and 50% capacity.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
My son works for a restaurant chain there. He says almost no one wears a mask, and people constantly complain about the distance between occupied tablest/booths, and 50% capacity.
No offense - but not the smartest crowd over there ..... but they all think they are ... most were convinced this was all just a government conspiracy. They are a lot like some of the people on Vol Nation.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Whether it’s a conspiracy to get get Trump re-elected or to ensure Trump doesn’t get re-elected, play along to ensure that Vol football happens.

Any word on covid scaring lungs?

Whether it’s a conspiracy to get get Trump re-elected or to ensure Trump doesn’t get re-elected, play along to ensure that Vol football happens.

Any word on covid scaring lungs?
GF is hiking today with a new doctor at Vanderbilt and someone doing Virus research at U of Illinois. I will try to quiz them on lung scaring later but my understanding has been that it does do damage to the lungs and damages other organs as well.

GF is hiking today with a new doctor at Vanderbilt and someone doing Virus research at U of Illinois. I will try to quiz them on lung scaring later but my understanding has been that it does do damage to the lungs and damages other organs as well.
Thank you.
That’s my biggest concern for me and mine. We aren’t part of the “at risk”, but if getting it can lead to don the road type issues, it would be nice to know as soon as possible.

No offense - but not the smartest crowd over there ..... but they all think they are ... most were convinced this was all just a government conspiracy. They are a lot like some of the people on Vol Nation.
They’re no different, smart wise, than the crowd in East Tennessee.

The virus is obviously a real thing, but it doesn’t justify destroying our economy, and thus our nation.

As I mentioned above, I have shared your info with my son and his fiancé who live in cookeville and I hope that they’re cautious; but I’d be surprised if their actual numbers are really that different from the rest of the state. Likely a result of more tests being administered would be my guess.

But it would be a guess, just like everyone else’s opinion would be a guess without knowing actual test rates for the area compared with the rest of the state.

They’re no different, smart wise, than the crowd in East Tennessee.

The virus is obviously a real thing, but it doesn’t justify destroying our economy, and thus our nation.

As I mentioned above, I have shared your info with my son and his fiancé who live in cookeville and I hope that they’re cautious; but I’d be surprised if their actual numbers are really that different from the rest of the state. Likely a result of more tests being administered would be my guess.

But it would be a guess, just like everyone else’s opinion would be a guess without knowing actual test rates for the area compared with the rest of the state.
more of a tongue in cheek comment, however if they are fighting separating tables at restaurants, social distancing, and they never wear masks then judge for yourself. It's 6 times the number of cases as Knox County ….. for no obvious reason than lack of awareness. Perhaps they have suddenly started mass testing in Cookeville, but my guess is that they unfortunately have had people spreading it. We can monitor the next two weeks and see what the trends look like. Fingers crossed but I got an uneasy feeling when I was made aware.

Thank you.
That’s my biggest concern for me and mine. We aren’t part of the “at risk”, but if getting it can lead to don the road type issues, it would be nice to know as soon as possible.

OK - here you go ……"It is very rough -- 6 months after your lung tissue is damaged from the virus and for a year after you can contract any immune disease. the cells in your lung walls create cracks that the body can't produce enzymes to heal them."

You don't want this at any age would be the easy advise.

OK - here you go ……"It is very rough -- 6 months after your lung tissue is damaged from the virus and for a year after you can contract any immune disease. the cells in your lung walls create cracks that the body can't produce enzymes to heal them."

You don't want this at any age would be the easy advise.
No doubt. Thanks for the info.

And why would anyone really think that the shutdown was a long-term solution?
  1. the virus has not disappeared, taken a vacation or left our shores.
  2. It is, like the flu, highly contagious.
  3. Fortunately, it's morbidity is pretty low overall according to what I've read so far; it is slightly above the normal flu strains we see. It is not like we are dealing with the bubonic plague or cholera.
We get out of this by establishing herd immunity. Either through a vaccine, hopefully, or the virus completes its run through the population. I may get it and die. I may have already had it. Nature, God or both, if you will, provided us with immune systems. This is what the immune system is all about. We cannot stay shutdown forever, that is just dying by a slower method.

That's it. Buckle up. We're in for a ride, but I'm going to face it with my boots on.

Herd immunity is a voluntary choice not a necessity. You can open your economy and still do business if everyone would protect themselves and others by wearing masks and social distancing until there is a vaccine.

2. Yuma, Ariz. 327 8%

Thanks,

The numbers will spike again all over. You can't wear a mask at a restaurant but you can choose to order take-out and tip and still support your local restaurant without endangering yourself or others. Knox County was sitting at 305 infections on May 1 and it's now up to 331 and those numbers are with phase 1 of opening. Just wait until mid to late June. People aren't wearing masks and they aren't being careful.

VN Store

Back