Vols QB's that have defeated the Gators the last 32 yrs

imbubbaspitcup

In 1990 Andy Kelly was the QB and the Vols defeated the Gators in Knoxville 45-3,

1992 QB Heath Shuler & Vols won 31-14 in Knoxville,

1998 our National Championship Team & QB Tee Martin defeated the Gators 20-17 in Knoxville,

2001 QB Casey Clausen & #5 ranked Vols defeated the Gators in Gainesville 34-32 & Travis Stephens our RB rushed for 226 yds & 2 tds,

2003 QB Casey Clausen leads our #12 ranked Vols in a win over #17 ranked Gators in Gainesville 24-10,

2004 QB Erik Ainge leads Vols in a home win over Gators 30-28,

2016 QB Josh Dobbs who passed for 319 yds & 4 tds leads #14 ranked Vols in a home win over # 19 ranked Gators 38-28.

Hendon Hooker & Vols must win this game Saturday. This Volnation Fanbase must rock the College GameDay stage & roar at Neyland Stadium! Go Vols!!!!!

No knots here, just a tingle of expectation. Haven't looked forward to a game this much since at least 2016, maybe even going back to the Fulmer glory days.

Definitely more excited about the Florida game in particular than any since 2006. (which by the way, is another in a long line we "coulda shoulda" won. Still pisssed about the terrible roughing the passer call on the pick 6 of Leak :mad:)

I have only attended one of those wins. It was 2004. During that game, they did a flashback on the old Jumbotron showing highlights of the 1990 game. At random moments afterwards, there was one guy who would yell 45 to 3 as loud as he could... As that game played on, and Florida was winning, he stopped... Still remains one of my favorite UT games. I was sitting on an aisle in Y8 and had a great view of the Wilhoit game winner. At that point in my life, UT had not lost a game I had attended, but that steak ended the following year when South Carolina came to Neyland (Spurrier).

Also, back in 1990, I was in middle school and my Dad and I were unable to watch the game on TV. I still remember listening to that with him and almost being able to envision the opening Dale Carter kickoff return that started the second half onslaught. Man, I miss John Ward...

Heard the Iceman talking to Tony Basilio on today's show (check Tony's twitter feed for a link to the interview), here, I'll just post a link:

Iceman interview with Basilio
15:15 to 34:25 mark

I feel Casey has not received near the amount of love he deserves from Big Orange country. Dude was a total gamer and I always felt we had a good chance to gut out a win with him at QB.

32 years? In 1990, I graduated for the first time from UT. Thanks for making me feel older...

We need to add QB Hooker to this list on Saturday.

Reactions: BanditVol
It's amazing that our best QB Peyton Manning lost all 4 of the games.

1994 Vols lost 31-0 (Todd Helton was the starting QB)
1995 Vols lost 62-37
1996 Vols lost 35-29
1997 Vols lost 33-20

Last edited:
Attended all these victories in Neyland except 2016 due to back injury. Also in 1970 as student when we beat them 38-7.
My two sons and wives attending this Saturday to see Hooker’s name added to this list.
Interesting Vols have only been favored 7 times over these 32 years and have won 7 though not always as the favored team.
Re. Peyton
1994...he was a freshman and did not start.
In his last three years Vols were only favored once by 3 pts in 1996. We were very good then but so was Florida.
GBO!

Josh Dobbs should have had two victories. The choke job by our defense in 2015 was pathetic.
Yeah! I was at this game & all our defense had to do is handle the last play. We let the Gators WR get past us a complete that bomb! Dobbs didn't throw the ball that much, but he ran over those Gators!

Josh Dobbs should have had two victories. The choke job by our defense in 2015 was pathetic.
Might be my lowest point as a TN fan. I just ran to my bed, buried my head in pillows and just laid there on my stomach. Paralyzed almost. For like an hour. That was truly sickening to watch.

Reactions: PEPPERJAX
It's amazing that our best QB Peyton Manning lost all 4 of the games.

1994 Vols lost 31-0 (Todd Helton was the starting QB)
1995 Vols lost 62-37
1996 Vols lost 35-29
1997 Vols lost 33-20

First, all of those games were up against the one coach that redefined the conference. No more 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

And I believe they were psyched out by game time. Spurrier fed the media their sound byte and his quotes just enough to get under the skin of UT fan base, while effectively causing the staff to probably second guess their plans.

First, all of those games were up against the one coach that redefined the conference. No more 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

And I believe they were psyched out by game time. Spurrier fed the media their sound byte and his quotes just enough to get under the skin of UT fan base, while effectively causing the staff to probably second guess their plans.

Let’s not kid ourselves. Fulmer got uptight and it spilled over to the players.

VN Store

Back