Vols Practice Thread #3

Fingers

Vols freshman CB Warren Burrell has been as impressive as any newcomer to start camp. Already running No. 3 behind Taylor and Thompson. He competes hard, is a quick learner. He won (2) or tied all three reps today in the press-coverage drill vs. Palmer, Callaway and Jennings.

today he was the best DB in the drill outside of Taylor.
simonton

Both Jim Chaney and Chris Weinke were disgusted at times, as way too many balls hit the turf. The quarterbacks, including starter Jarrett Guarantano, were frequently late or off target. I’m not sure why, but the timing of the group was simply off, especially on routes like post-corners or seams. Meanwhile, the wideouts weren’t much better, struggling just catching the football cleanly. During one part of the drill, the slot receivers dropped four of five balls, including Jauan Jennings, Jordan Murphy and Jacquez Jones. The drops were contagious, too, with reliable targets Josh Palmer and Marquez Callaway also in on the act.
Tyler Byrd did have a strong period, making two strong grabs, including a shoe-string catch over the middle. Brandon Johnson continued his strong start to camp, too.
it was hard not to be impressed with Chandler’s combination of power and burst.
Trey Smith did a little more contact in full five-man line drills today. It looks like they’re slowly bringing him along. Yesterday he was hitting a pad and today he was engaging with another lineman.
Warren Burrell was as impressive as any DB in the drill. The freshman won (2) or tied his three reps, going against Palmer, Jennings and Callaway. Bryce Thompson was 1-1, besting Palmer but getting shook by Deangelo Gibbs. Alontae Taylor was really sticky, and Pruitt had Jerrod Means jump in line twice, another indication of Tennessee trying to expedite that transition as quickly as possible. Also, Byrd won his two reps, while Jordan Murphy and Brandon Johnson both easily bested Shawn Shamburger.
simonton

The good news is there weren't any fumbles, but it's a challenging drill, Jeremy Banks on one rep putting both hands on the ball for extra security.
Ty Chandler has added some noticeable muscle, and Tim Jordan still has his strong frame. Freshman Eric Gray, who sat out spring practice following shoulder surgery in January, is thick in the lower body for a player listed as a modest 5-foot-10 and 195 pounds, and he isn't lacking in the quickness department, either.
Tyler Byrd made an impressive tiptoe catch along the sideline on an out route, and Marquez Callaway, Josh Palmer, Brandon Johnson and Ramel Keyton looked sure-handed more often than not.
One name to watch in Tennessee's secondary is Warren Burrell. Burrell looks very settled as a freshman and is typically third in line in cornerback drills behind Bryce Thompson and Alontae Taylor.
Recapping the rest of the WR/DB drill, Taylor and Thompson were typically solid, while freshmen Jerrod Means and Kenneth George Jr. each had reps that Pruitt liked.
p.brown

Last edited:
That one assistant with the pad talking so much smack to the RBs.

I’m glad to see progress with Trey Smith. I sure do hope we have a QB that separates himself from the pack...we need great QB play this year!

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Vols freshman CB Warren Burrell has been as impressive as any newcomer to start camp. Already running No. 3 behind Taylor and Thompson. He competes hard, is a quick learner. He won (2) or tied all three reps today in the press-coverage drill vs. Palmer, Callaway and Jennings.

3-star, don't want!

j/k

Though, how was Burrell a 3-star anyway? Looks like he was actievly recruited by Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, Michigan, Mich State, Ohio State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, South Carolina, USC, and Wisconsin. Tough to beat that offer list.

Last edited:
3-star, don't want!

j/k

Though, how was Burrell a 3-star anyway? Looks like he was actievly recruited by Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn, Arkansas, Michigan, Mich State, Ohio State, Nebraska, Notre Dame, South Carolina, USC, and Wisconsin. That's a pretty spectacular offer list. Weird that the services only had him at 3 stars with that list.
Because the star ratings are a joke.

Sounds like Burrell is definitely one to watch.

Trey Smith, the only thing that comes to mind with him....if our entire team had half the heart and enthusiasm for the sport that he does, "we would move mountains!" I find myself believing a little more every day that we may very well see him on the field playing again. I hope his debut is at Neyland, I can't imagine the roar of the crowd... welcoming him back and hope to be able to experience it.

Now, I'm going to stop about Trey....starting to get slightly emotional.

GBO!!

VN Store

Back