Vols Practice Thread #19

My first thought as well. Then we have Wood-Anderson & Maleik Gray with #4, is that bad news for Gray? Also Palmer now has James Brown's #84, and Thompson now has Labruzza's #20. Kinda strange. The other 5 changes (Harris, Butler, Kongbo, Smith, & Henderson) don't have duplicate #'s.

The UT roster hasn't been updated, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Gotta admit we’ve heard next to nothing about the guys you mentioned...I was confused by that comment from Simonton at first but it makes a lot of sense now

Reactions: Billy Antrim
Devin Gardner was the one that wore 98.

I figure some of the # changes are for special team purposes. The team probably went straight to special teams work after the open media session.

Special Teams reports have been noticably absent for any practice reports.

What ever happened to Austin smith?

He was advanced physically as a frosh and saw time. Got hurt, got out of shape, and didn't develop any more physically or as a player.

Came in impressive as a frosh, but had already hit his ceiling a la Jaques Smith.

He was advanced physically as a frosh and saw time. Got hurt, got out of shape, and didn't develop any more physically or as a player.

Came in impressive as a frosh, but had already hit his ceiling a la Jaques Smith.

But, he's back out there for another go, AND changed his number to a more linebackerish one, 30, vs. 11.

Reactions: Billy Antrim
My first thought as well. Then we have Wood-Anderson & Maleik Gray with #4, is that bad news for Gray? Also Palmer now has James Brown's #84, and Thompson now has Labruzza's #20. Kinda strange. The other 5 changes (Harris, Butler, Kongbo, Smith, & Henderson) don't have duplicate #'s.

The UT roster hasn't been updated, so I guess we'll have to wait and see what happens.

Labruzza will not play so just gonna throw that out there. Neither will Malik Grey

I didn't read through everything, but wouldn't you think that the number changes have to do with special teams since CJP has stated that starters would play on special teams and it's a known fact that certain duplicate numbers were reserved for players on both offense and defense? Can't have the same number on the field at the same time.

Wood-Anderson at 270lb...I can live with that. That as the potential to be an absolute terror for Safety/OLB to cover.

He's my pick for breakout star this year.
How great would it be to have a dynamic, go-to tight end who had like 50 catches and 8 or 9 touchdowns this year? I’d love it. Hopefully DWA is that guy.

But, he's back out there for another go, AND changed his number to a more linebackerish one, 30, vs. 11.

Hes behind Taylor, Kongbo, Allen, & Johnson and I bet in an injury case they move Butuli outside & roll with Sapp and DKjr.( provided healthy) before Smith sees meaning snaps.

Black ceiling device teaches line to fire out low getting under the defender and lifting. Offensive player gets his face mask under the chin of the. Defender. This rotates the defender back onto his heals. At that point the offense has one the battle.
In other words the low man wins.

Let me explain the number changes. As most are aware, you can't have the two of the same numbers on the field at the same time. Therefore some offensive players that have speed and can tackle well or vice versa for defense may find theirselves playing special teams. Happens at Alabama a lot. Also, in Hailmary situations, you may want receivers in at defensive backs. Example is Josh Palmer who has height and hands but couldn't be out there because he wears #5 as does Kyle Phillips who will be out there as well.

Let me explain the number changes. As most are aware, you can't have the two of the same numbers on the field at the same time. Therefore some offensive players that have speed and can tackle well or vice versa for defense may find theirselves playing special teams. Happens at Alabama a lot. Also, in Hailmary situations, you may want receivers in at defensive backs. Example is Josh Palmer who has height and hands but couldn't be out there because he wears #5 as does Kyle Phillips who will be out there as well.

..... No just no. This is college football not High School. Special Teams yes.... Everything else just no.

We should change numbers after every game just to confuse the enemy! Plus it will be fun to listen to the announces choke on words in their best Verne Lundquist imitation!

It's possible that CJP is playing head games with WV. Their coaches are already whining about not having equal practice time. With all the whining and excuses, WV players may be experiencing doubts about beating us. The number changes might add to that doubt.

Reactions: TennesseeTarheel
Is anyone knowledgeable enough about these drills to explain what some of them are actually for? By that I mean for example being under the low black ceiling device (sorry I have no idea what they are called) or when they show guys hitting the other man as he jumps in the air with his arms out, or seeing the Linemen kneeling on the ground and pushing up. I see them doing a lot of these same drills and I was just wondering what said exercises are actually meant to instill. Sorry for the crappy descriptions I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what they are learning. I never saw them doing hardly any of this under Lyle.
Keep your Arse down coming out of your stance, Keep your Pad level low and explode up, Fire through your Hips when making contact, Muscle memory takes over if you keep Repeating a drill and do it Properly! Maybe that Helps.

Well, he's been hurt.
I thought he'd thrive in this defense. He kept shifting between DE and OLB in the 4-3. Seems like this would make a perfer LB in the 3-4. Did he end up playing any snaps last year?

Is anyone knowledgeable enough about these drills to explain what some of them are actually for? By that I mean for example being under the low black ceiling device (sorry I have no idea what they are called) or when they show guys hitting the other man as he jumps in the air with his arms out, or seeing the Linemen kneeling on the ground and pushing up. I see them doing a lot of these same drills and I was just wondering what said exercises are actually meant to instill. Sorry for the crappy descriptions I'm just trying to get a better grasp on what they are learning. I never saw them doing hardly any of this under Lyle.
Not sure this applies, but, I was researching "violent hands" - a term CJP used, and this may explain what is going on with driving from their knees...

"Well, a lineman’s punch is uber important, and depending on your natural leverage, it’s even more important. The term “violent hands” is often used when discussing pass protection, because it’s easier to notice a punch and it’s the main recourse to stop a pass rush.

A proper punch isn’t generated from the chest, but rather from the back and core. A proper punch should jolt the defender and change his course. It’s noticeable when a lineman has “violent hands".

Geoff Schwartz’s big bag o’ football mail: What are ‘violent hands’?

VN Store

Back