Vols practice #6

Could be that nobody is answering your question directly because the answer is so obvious that you're coming across as being sarcastic...

Most people here have to pull up a depth chart to know who Davis is and we are the die hard fans who normally know who all the players are. He was a complete non-factor a year ago. It's reasonable to be shocked by him leading the competition at LT. I know I am. That's not a knock on the guy. It's just a surprise. That's all.

Well, I am encouraged that Dayne Davis was a Basketball player who moved well for his size at a good Basketball school. Being able to move is a must at LT just hope he doesn't get overwhelmed at SEC level. I've seen it happen to high-rated 5 Stars over and over. Last year was a big problem there and QB's suffered.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Is your problem with him simply because he is from Sullivan East? Do you know anything about him at all? The coach seems to have high praise for him and he is listed at 6' 7" and 325. He has the size. Just because he didn't go to a "Big Name" school doesn't mean he can't play. He is in his third year in the program.
We have had walk-ons play at a decent enough level over the last few years (Gilliam, Sullins, etc). If he outplays the stud recruit, let him have it. I like the move. I would prefer him at RT though. You have to show elite foot speed to play LT in this league. That would be my concern. That's mostly why Cade can't do it, but this kid has longer arms at least.

LT seems to be a point of concern. With Morris moving on to greener grass, is it so hard to believe that Wright moves to left tackle? IK he’s not practicing there but he WAS a 5* LT in HS just like Morris. If there’s no one else that can get the job done and all of our qbs being right handed, I wouldn’t be surprised to see the switch
Would love to see a serviceable T come through in the transfer portal as well. We badly need a T, C, and 2 LBs at least

Reactions: 1vol8
A targeting call and a cramp and we are suddenly out of LBs!
Yep. Wouldn't surprise me if we see guys like Len'Neth Whitehead and Dee Beckwith get some practice reps at LB in case of an emergency. Whitehead played some LB in high school and Beckwith has the athletic ability. Tee Hodge could also probably make a tackle if he needed to.

Reactions: SayUWantAreVOLution
Have been waiting for Akporoghene to make some noise.
This kid was very raw out of HS .. he looks the part ..big strong ... but he just doesnt move weel enough ..stiff ... not agressive enough .. doubt he ever plays a important role here .. I said that when he was signed and folks on here jumped my case .. but I see what I see ...

Would love to see a serviceable T come through in the transfer portal as well. We badly need a T, C, and 2 LBs at least
I watched Wanya Morris and Darnell Wright compete at the elite 11 2018. Wanya was already committed to UT whereas Darnell was undecided at that point. They seemed to be going back and forth as the top LTs in the country and flip flopping the #1 spot throughout the year. Darnell is every bit capable at LT and quite frankly I’d be less worried if they made the switch now. It’s much easier to find a guard to play in a zone the size of his wingspan than it is to find a big man with feet quick enough to read and react off the edge rusher. JMO

As for LB, that’s where I’m concerned the most. Sure it would be nice if Henry T were there but he’s one body. Crouch is no LB anyway and I personally think he screwed himself listening to Pruitt trying to be something he’s just not. If it were me I’d tell him “experiment is over. You’re a RB on my team or the portal is 👉”.

I think the offense will get much better and put up points. I expect to see more turnovers as a result as well. But I think defensively we get worse because I think we’re going to be soft in the first and second levels.

Reactions: b_gann and Volle
You don’t realize when others aren’t being serious.
My bad if I jumped the gun but that’s what blue font is for. A lot of people think exactly what you posted and it couldn’t be farther from the truth. My apologies

Is our starting LT really going to be a kid from Sullivan East? Mercy.
If he earns it... would that necessarily be a bad thing? I didn't want Morris to leave... but to be honest I never saw him play like a 5*. Mizzou has produced good OL's almost every year since joining the SEC. They seldom get 4/5* OL's. They've had a knack for finding diamonds in the rough and then building them into good players and units.

This kid was very raw out of HS .. he looks the part ..big strong ... but he just doesnt move weel enough ..stiff ... not agressive enough .. doubt he ever plays a important role here .. I said that when he was signed and folks on here jumped my case .. but I see what I see ...
You seem to have held up well. Getting use out of that left eye?

Is your problem with him simply because he is from Sullivan East? Do you know anything about him at all? The coach seems to have high praise for him and he is listed at 6' 7" and 325. He has the size. Just because he didn't go to a "Big Name" school doesn't mean he can't play. He is in his third year in the program.

Very true. Anyone remember a guy named Jason Witten from podunk Elizabethton in the Tri-Cities? Seems he turned out pretty decent.

Yeah no kidding I always root alittle more for the home state boys to do well for themselves, he's obviously getting the job done..Good Job big man

VN Store

Back