Vols practice #5

Trolling... Whatever you are seeing, it isn't apathy. Heupel was an outstanding and exciting hire. If you are holding out for Gruden, you have issues. I imagine you probably are as mad as anyone, because most Vol fans are NOT mad about this hire. I can't guess why you think that other than pure projection. Or just trolling. Which is where we started.

My client is currently and happily employed with the Las Vegas Raiders.

East TN will always hold a special place in Coach Grudens heart however.

I find myself hoping for the best like the beginning of last year when I predicted we would go at least 7-3. I just have to state the obvious reality we are in now and then I will not be disappointed like last year.
Its totally different circumstances then last year. New coaches, scheme, and full offseason program. You also have a ton of SR's and another large group of 2nd-3rd year guys. Tell me how many times last year did you say to yourself "if only we could score some damn points"??? Wasnt a game that I didnt say that. They were a 3-7 team true enough but that wasnt lack of talent. To me they hired a coach that addresses the biggest need which is QB play. We Tennessee has a QB they win simple as that. If you fix the Qb room you fix the team.

Its totally different circumstances then last year. New coaches, scheme, and full offseason program. You also have a ton of SR's and another large group of 2nd-3rd year guys. Tell me how many times last year did you say to yourself "if only we could score some damn points"??? Wasnt a game that I didnt say that. They were a 3-7 team true enough but that wasnt lack of talent. To me they hired a coach that addresses the biggest need which is QB play. We Tennessee has a QB they win simple as that. If you fix the Qb room you fix the team.
I agree with much of what you state. However while the coaching will hopefully be better, the roster is not nearly as good from a talent or depth standpoint. Especially on defense. I also have concerns about the Qb room. I’m not convinced we have a quality SEC Qb on the roster.

If you got a chance to watch a guy do the same job for you for 3yrs and you loved his work. Why wouldnt you hire him at your next job??
I have doubts. It looks like favoritism or desperation IMO. I do not believe that Heupel was the best candidate for us in the whole country who would of taken the job.

I find myself hoping for the best like the beginning of last year when I predicted we would go at least 7-3. I just have to state the obvious reality we are in now and then I will not be disappointed like last year. Who knows about Heupel? He could be a future Saban in disguise but he is in a tough situation now.
Admittedly the past decade has taken a toll on VOL fans. Maybe my recent root canal was due to excessive tooth-grinding.:eek:

Reactions: ArdentVol
I have doubts. It looks like favoritism or desperation IMO. I do not believe that Heupel was the best candidate for us in the whole country who would of taken the job.
I like the Heupel hire, but I agree he's in a tough spot.

My biggest concern is the secondary. Close 2nd is LB depth. It seems to me like we only have 3 SEC LBs on the roster and one of them (Harrison) is a situational pass rush guy. There's not a player in our secondary I'm excited about.

Reactions: sjt18
I like the Heupel hire, but I agree he's in a tough spot.

My biggest concern is the secondary. Close 2nd is LB depth. It seems to me like we only have 3 SEC LBs on the roster and one of them (Harrison) is a situational pass rush guy. There's not a player in our secondary I'm excited about.
CB and LB are pretty big concerns. UT may be OK at safety. The DL is deep and has "bodies" but none have shown elite talent... but they're getting the best coaching they've had too.

I think he was the best calculation. I think those you might consider better would have demanded more security in their contract... which would have shackled UT in the "out years". I like Heupel but honestly part of his appeal as a hire is that he would be much easier to get rid of than a "hot name"

He's a talented guy. He may succeed. If he does then UT looks like geniuses who finally have their act together. If he fails then you get through whatever the NCAA does... save some salary and go hunting a top name coach.

Its not desperation if I already have a guy identified. Heupel doesnt check your box but he may be exactly what the AD wanted. There is no evidence that says Huepel wasnt one of the best candidates. His resume is as good as anyone else's. Since Fulmer we tried the prodigy approach(Kiffin), legacy approach(Dooley), Salesman approach(Jones), & the defensive mastermind(Pruitt). Going with a qb guru cant be worse then any of those hires. Look at the Tennesee football history and anytime we were any good we had a real QB. To me this is the best hire for the program.

Reactions: Myrtleturtle
All this enthusiasm about practices is telling. One freakin' page of VN comments about the 5th spring practice? Unless Huepel can and actually does get this turned around on The Hill stick a fork in the UT football program. it's done, nobody will care any longer. Sad sad sad
Just another ray of sunshine

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Its not desperation if I already have a guy identified. Heupel doesnt check your box but he may be exactly what the AD wanted. There is no evidence that says Huepel wasnt one of the best candidates. His resume is as good as anyone else's. Since Fulmer we tried the prodigy approach(Kiffin), legacy approach(Dooley), Salesman approach(Jones), & the defensive mastermind(Pruitt). Going with a qb guru cant be worse then any of those hires. Look at the Tennesee football history and anytime we were any good we had a real QB. To me this is the best hire for the program.
It’s simply a bad look for White to bring the coach he he hired three years ago from a non P5 school. On paper it looks lazy.

It’s simply a bad look for White to bring the coach he he hired three years ago from a non P5 school. On paper it looks lazy.
But Why does it look crazy on paper?? Hiring Freeze during an investigation looks crazy on paper. Even mentioning Kiffin's name as a candidate looks crazy on paper. The fact that he got any attention at all from the fan base shocked me. What difference does it make where he level he came from. The guy played at a high level, and coached high level offenses at OU & Mizzo which aint even close to a comparison talent wise. If u can coach you can coach doesnt matter where you do it

But Why does it look crazy on paper?? Hiring Freeze during an investigation looks crazy on paper. Even mentioning Kiffin's name as a candidate looks crazy on paper. The fact that he got any attention at all from the fan base shocked me. What difference does it make where he level he came from. The guy played at a high level, and coached high level offenses at OU & Mizzo which aint even close to a comparison talent wise. If u can coach you can coach doesnt matter where you do it
it looks safe or
Lazy or incompetent or desperate for White. May not be anything to it or all 4 may apply.
Just my opinion.

A bad look? We get it, you don’t like white or huepel. Or is it they just didn’t hire the guy you wanted now you want to be an a$$ and down talk heupel. Is he a good coach at this level? Who knows? He may turn out just like the last 3 jacka$$es they hired. Until then, I intend to be respectful and give the man a chance to prove himself. I guess you believe to just talk 💩 about him without seeing the product on the field first.

A bad look? We get it, you don’t like white or huepel. Or is it they just didn’t hire the guy you wanted now you want to be an a$$ and down talk heupel. Is he a good coach at this level? Who knows? He may turn out just like the last 3 jacka$$es they hired. Until then, I intend to be respectful and give the man a chance to prove himself. I guess you believe to just talk 💩 about him without seeing the product on the field first.
Actually I was disappointed with the hire because there was info from some here we were going to pay big money for the home run hire and we failed. If you look at my posts the last few days I have stated like you that Heupel may be a bust or a future Saban. Still it was a bad look for White to just bring the HC from his previous stop. It still looks lazy even today.

Don’t worry. He’ll change his tune the moment CJH wins his first game. Then he’ll be back to calling him trash the moment he loses his first game. It’s a vicious cycle for fly by night fans.

Actually I was disappointed with the hire because there was info from some here we were going to pay big money for the home run hire and we failed. If you look at my posts the last few days I have stated like you that Heupel may be a bust or a future Saban. Still it was a bad look for White to just bring the HC from his previous stop. It still looks lazy even today.
But then again it may be the smartest and best move by white. I’ll let the man prove himself one way or the other first.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Were Butch & Dooley qb guru's?? How many top 5 offenses did they coach? Dooley won more then 6 games once before he got the job and Botch followed Kelly's coat tail from CMU to Cincy which means he didnt build anything before he got the job here. This aint the same situation and you dont need a rockstar name to be a good HC. We shall see how this all plays out.

Reactions: TrippieRedd

VN Store

Back