Vols practice 4/22

I realize there are some DL guys nursing injury, but it’s nice to read Omari Thomas’ name running with the 1st D. He and Jabari Small, both from Briarcrest, got their feet wet last year. Hope they both make a big splash this year. They seem to be good Dudes.

Bailey taking first reps certainly throws a wrench in the narrative that some were pushing. Maybe rumors of him being a bust or a bad fit were a little premature.
I've been arguing that point the entire time. I live in GA, so I have had the chance to watch the kid a few times. He played in an uptempo offense in high school, and broke records in one of the toughest classifications in the country. The kid can absolutely play in this system. Just give him time to develope bc all the other QB's have been in college longer then he has and have actually had real offseason programs.

Pretty much said all the QBs looked the same but all looked sharp.
He has been spinning all spring. When it began to look like HB was 3rd, he began to beat the drum that none of them are any good. Him saying they all looked the same... probably means Maurer did look better. I've started to pick up on just some subtle but very consistent ways he's reporting.

I truly and honestly do not care who the starter is. I just want them to play well and score lots of points. Maurer gets picked on a lot and most of the divisions seem to fall along the Maurer vs HB lines... but IMHO I think the forgotten man may still be the guy who ends up with the job- Hooker.

He has been spinning all spring. When it began to look like HB was 3rd, he began to beat the drum that none of them are any good. Him saying they all looked the same... probably means Maurer did look better. I've started to pick up on just some subtle but very consistent ways he's reporting.

I truly and honestly do not care who the starter is. I just want them to play well and score lots of points. Maurer gets picked on a lot and most of the divisions seem to fall along the Maurer vs HB lines... but IMHO I think the forgotten man may still be the guy who ends up with the job- Hooker.
I can see Hooker taking the job for sure. That's the safe pick.

Kinda makes me think of Jeremy Pruitt with the safe pick...

I think he's the QB Pruitt wished JG was.

I have to think Heup may not want to sacrifice some aggression for safety though. He may prefer to have someone push the ball down the field more regardless of risk. I don't think Hooker ever really aired it out at VT. One of my best friends is a huge VT fan, watches every game and he has no idea if Hooker can push the ball down the field.

I could see Hooker getting the start and later on getting supplanted by someone who can move the ball down the field at a more explosive rate.

You have to imagine against some of the big boys on our schedule we will find it very difficult to run the ball and if we aren't running the ball too well we need the ability to connect on passes down field.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc

Price said Maurer was the most accurate today...followed by Hooker.

I can see Hooker taking the job for sure. That's the safe pick.

Kinda makes me think of Jeremy Pruitt with the safe pick...

I think he's the QB Pruitt wished JG was.

I have to think Heup may not want to sacrifice some aggression for safety though. He may prefer to have someone push the ball down the field more regardless of risk. I don't think Hooker ever really aired it out at VT. One of my best friends is a huge VT fan, watches every game and he has no idea if Hooker can push the ball down the field.

I could see Hooker getting the start and later on getting supplanted by someone who can move the ball down the field at a more explosive rate.

You have to imagine against some of the big boys on our schedule we will find it very difficult to run the ball and if we aren't running the ball too well we need the ability to connect on passes down field.
He didn't do much at VT, he is not going to do much for us except for a few broken plays.

Bailey taking first reps certainly throws a wrench in the narrative that some were pushing. Maybe rumors of him being a bust or a bad fit were a little premature.
Anyone who actually watched Bailey play last year could see he was miles ahead of the rest of our QBs including Maurer. Wasn’t likely he would suddenly cease looking like the five-star surrounded by three-stars

Reactions: BennesseeVols
I find it interesting that Bailey is having accuracy issues...So many last year were hanging all over his comp %..... without realizing he was completing most passes under 5 yards... now that it seems to be more attacking, he is struggling..

Reactions: 1vol8
I noticed folks insisting JMilton5 as an email in the UT student directory indicates Joe Milton (#5 at Michigan) is enrolled.

Hooker has been wearing #5 all Spring.

Milton may be coming, but he's not wearing #5 unless Hooker wants to go back to #2 that he wore at VT.

I'll admit I was against Dee at RB, but it's looking promising now. When's Whitehead finally moving LB. Long overdue imo.
He showed some serious promise in the few snaps he took last year. Hopefully he balls out hard this fall.

I think Milton just wanted to throw water on his transfer leaking out early. He will announce its TN tomorrow on the Tweeter machine.

d.ubben

a.price

t.wallace

p.brown

Can not think of four better examples of UT football than those in attendance. Each had great careers. We desperately need the greats from the past to come and shed some love, knowledge and just what it means to represent this wonderful university.

VN Store

Back