Vols picked 6th

Only Trey Smith...first team
Nobody on second or third teams.
That’s on offense, defense, and special teams.
Think about that, only one player considered in the top three in the conference at their position. :thud:

Reactions: 1 person

This should be easy for a Braniac

VolNation Board Guidelines -- Required Reading

1. Look both ways before posting. Please take a moment to scan the first page of the forum to see if a similar discussion exists before starting a new thread. Also, please don't start a new thread for every thought that pops into your head.

Reactions: 3 people
I think we'll finish higher than UK. Also Florida is to high. I'd be shocked if we finished higher than 4th though.

I think we will beat both Kentucky and Vandy and have a decent shot at beating Florida. I also think SC is too high at 2nd but somebody has to finish behind Georgia, I guess. The East looks really bad once again.

Reactions: 2 people
Florida being that high is a joke

Can't wait to beat them and see them sitting at the bottom in November.

With regards to our offensive time of possession last year, you’re right, it was bad. However, it was 28:09 per game, so we possessed the ball right at half of the game on average, and the statistic was badly skewed by the Georgia Tech where GT held the ball 41+ minutes vs our 18+ minutes. Also, we won time of possession by 4 minutes vs Florida but the defense gave up that inexplicable td pass at the end and we lost that game.

Amazingly, we also had more offensive time of possession than Missouri in that 50-17 beatdown loss.

Bottom line, yes, the offense was poor, but the defense was worse imho. They virtually never got off the field early by forcing 3 and outs or forcing a turnover. Teams just lined up and ran it down our throats. The argument can be made that the defense definitely cost us the Kentucky game by not being able to stop Ky on their last drive....they allowed the Wildcats to run it down their throats and score the game-winning TD last.....and obviously after giving us the lead on their previous possession, our offense cane up a yard or two short at the very end of winning the game. Imho, regardless of what the offense did or didn’t do, the defense, especially vs the run, was atrocious.

Agreed on a lot of your points, the defense against the run absolutely sucked, granted that could be skewed because of the GT game, but even if you take that out, we're still not making it above 120 in total run defense.

I was surprised our pass defense was so good, but I guess that begs the question is did teams see they could run on us and only pass when they absolutely had to?

Possibly. Even still, the offense was horrible, granted the defense didn't do itself any favors by not forcing some three and outs, we can also say our offense did no favors by not being able to extend drives.

Looking at time of possession a game we ranked 103 nationally, above ONLY Mizz out of the whole SECE. We were also 117 nationally PPG dead last in the SECE, where as on defense we were 89 nationally PPG allowed, which compared to SC at 25, UF at 69, UK at 75, Vandy 89 and Mizz at 97 which puts us as average.

Turnover margin we were 88 nationally which, put us above UF, Vandy, and Mizz.

The gap between 2-7 is very small. I think a lot of our issues came down to injuries and coaching. I believe we have the talent to compete with anyone in the East except for UGA. If we can stay healthy and the coaching makes some improvements to the team, I still say we can finish any where from 2nd to 4th.

6th place seems to imply a predicted record of 5-7. If you think there are five wins on the schedule, you quite likely are predicting wins over Kentucky and Vandy. It would follow that TN should have an excellent chance at home versus Missouri. Therefore, 6-6 and fourth would be the logical pick. 5-7 and sixth is a lazy prediction based on the fact that all of the other analysts have been saying the same thing. They all want to be wrong together. Utmost respect for anyone who will stick their neck out and pick 6 wins or more or 4 wins or less.

Surprise team is MSU, they have the best DL in the league and of all the new coaches, Moorehead is set up to be successful this year.

Preseason rankings mean nothing, UT was picked 3rd last year and finished 14th. This year, play physical, change the culture and make sure the other teams regrets having to play you.

Mizzou May surprise out of the east.

Surprise team is MSU, they have the best DL in the league and of all the new coaches, Moorehead is set up to be successful this year.

Preseason rankings mean nothing, UT was picked 3rd last year and finished 14th. This year, play physical, change the culture and make sure the other teams regrets having to play you.

I agree about Mizzou. So far, I have them finishing 3rd in the East.

I think we will beat both Kentucky and Vandy and have a decent shot at beating Florida. I also think SC is too high at 2nd but somebody has to finish behind Georgia, I guess. The East looks really bad once again.

I figure UGA will be first. USCe and Mizz will be 2 and 3, no particular order. 4 and 5 will be UT and UF, again not sure about the order. Leaving Vandy and UK fighting not to be last. I don't buy Mullen this year as much as most. Next year they might be good again. It's weird to bet on Mizz that high but their offense should be explosive again and as you said minus UGA the East is bad.

I'm not as sold on Mizzou as some people. Sure, Lock is great. Probably top 3 QB in the conference. They started out 1-5, and then beat SEC powerhouses Florida (edit: 4-7*), Tennessee (4-8), Vandy (5-7), and Arkansas (4-8) to end the season. 3 of those 4 teams now have new coaches, and then there's Derek Mason. Also lost to a 6-6 Texas team in their bowl. They lost some good starters, and then hired Derek Dooley of all people.

Lock is going to have to put the team on his back like Dobbs did in order to win games. After this year all bets are off. I don't know much about Barry Odom, but their recruiting for 2019 is absolutely atrocious so far.

Agreed on a lot of your points, the defense against the run absolutely sucked, granted that could be skewed because of the GT game, but even if you take that out, we're still not making it above 120 in total run defense.

I was surprised our pass defense was so good, but I guess that begs the question is did teams see they could run on us and only pass when they absolutely had to?

Possibly. Even still, the offense was horrible, granted the defense didn't do itself any favors by not forcing some three and outs, we can also say our offense did no favors by not being able to extend drives.

Looking at time of possession a game we ranked 103 nationally, above ONLY Mizz out of the whole SECE. We were also 117 nationally PPG dead last in the SECE, where as on defense we were 89 nationally PPG allowed, which compared to SC at 25, UF at 69, UK at 75, Vandy 89 and Mizz at 97 which puts us as average.

Turnover margin we were 88 nationally which, put us above UF, Vandy, and Mizz.

The gap between 2-7 is very small. I think a lot of our issues came down to injuries and coaching. I believe we have the talent to compete with anyone in the East except for UGA. If we can stay healthy and the coaching makes some improvements to the team, I still say we can finish any where from 2nd to 4th.

Pass defense wasn’t much better than the putrid run defense. You hit the nail on the head when you said teams knew they could just run on us and they abandoned the pass. Yet, when a few teams did decide to throw on us, they had great success.....Shurmur had a field day, Locke threw 4 tds despite his running game going for 430 yards.

I'm not as sold on Mizzou as some people. Sure, Lock is great. Probably top 3 QB in the conference. They started out 1-5, and then beat SEC powerhouses Florida (edit: 4-7*), Tennessee (4-8), Vandy (5-7), and Arkansas (4-8) to end the season. 3 of those 4 teams now have new coaches, and then there's Derek Mason. Also lost to a 6-6 Texas team in their bowl. They lost some good starters, and then hired Derek Dooley of all people.

Lock is going to have to put the team on his back like Dobbs did in order to win games. After this year all bets are off. I don't know much about Barry Odom, but their recruiting for 2019 is absolutely atrocious so far.

I totally forgot about Dooley. I might have adjust my prediction for them down now, just on general principle.

Full media predictions:

WEST

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas

EAST

Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Glad we get the best of the west this year

tenor.gif

Got 'em right where we em'!
Seriously tho,how many times have the preseason ranking been right from top to bottom?
If our Vols can finish anywhere between 2-5 it would be a pretty good first year. The teams in that range are pretty even so it's gonna be fun to watch.

I know we have some here that still kneejerk defend Jones but if he was as bad as many of us think then a significant improvement is realistic. UT becomes that "surprise" team and Pruitt gets respect.

Nonetheless, this isn't a "year zero" or a "pass". Coaches prove as much when they don't have a great roster as they do when they have a loaded roster. Maybe more. I hope he can get the best out of the talent he has on the roster.... something Jones never did.

I want the #6 printed and put in every locker and on every piece of equipment in the workout complex.

Pruitt is actually quite lucky. The bar couldn’t be any lower.
No way this team has 6th in the east talent.

Full media predictions:

WEST

Alabama
Auburn
Mississippi State
Texas A&M
LSU
Ole Miss
Arkansas

EAST

Georgia
South Carolina
Florida
Missouri
Kentucky
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

Picked next to last.....where have I heard that Before? Coach Barnes, do you recall??

VN Store

Back