Vols open as early favorites over Florida

This game will be won or lost between the ears of the players and it will be Heupel’s job to encourage, motivate, and get the players‘ minds set up correctly. It is more psychological prep than anything else. And from what I see of Heupel and the interaction between him be the players, I think Heupel is by far the best coach we have had in that arena in a very long time. Definitely worlds better than the last Three Stooges

Pretty good chance Florida comes into Knoxville at 1-2 with losses to Utah and Kentucky.

Would mean an 0-2 start in the Swamp. UF may very well suck, but I haven’t seen many 0-2 starts in the Swamp including with some really bad teams.

Then again, rarely have the first two home games been a top 10 team followed by a “not your Dad’s Kentucky” team.

Reactions: VolPack22
Pretty good chance Florida comes into Knoxville at 1-2 with losses to Utah and Kentucky.
I don't understand why everyone thinks they suck this bad.

Sure they were just 6-6 last year but until the team quit on Mullen after the LSU game they were a tough team to beat (2 point conversion away from taking Bama to OT and had no problem with us). And it wasn't that long ago that they went 8-2 in an all-SEC schedule.... They didn't just all of a sudden end up with crappy players. I think people are overlooking them. Probably an 8-4/9-3 team this year.

Side note... does anyone know why they literally have 19 quarterbacks on their roster??? Seems a little excessive...

Florida Gators Roster | ESPN

All of you predicting a Tennessee victory in this game are forgetting the most important thing….

It’s not about talent, it’s not about home field advantage, it’s not about them having a first year coach, it’s that we LITERALLY FORGET HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL when we play them.

The whole football concept completely blows our mind when we step on the field against them. Last year they held us to our lowest point total of the season, we scored more against the best defense in the country (Georgia) than we did against them.

And on the other side of that coin, Samford hung 52 on them. South Florida put up 20 on them. We scored 14 points.

Stop predicting wins against Florida

But please for the love of God Heupel don’t let Billy Napier come in to Neyland and win. But I sure won’t be shocked if that is exactly what happens. Since 2000 we are 4-17 against Florida and during that time they have had 7 different head coaches. They had a 11 game win streak from 2005-2015 and are currently on a 5 game win streak. Why would anyone bet on Tennessee to beat Florida at this point???
It's ridiculous. Every time we play them they play like they KNOW they are gonna win and we play like "we would like" to win.

Sure they were just 6-6 last year but until the team quit on Mullen after the LSU game they were a tough team to beat (2 point conversion away from taking Bama to OT and had no problem with us). And it wasn't that long ago that they went 8-2 in an all-SEC schedule.... They didn't just all of a sudden end up with crappy players. I think people are overlooking them. Probably an 8-4/9-3 team this year.

Side note... does anyone know why they literally have 19 quarterbacks on their roster??? Seems a little excessive...

It’s not a matter of them sucking, it’s just that people underestimate Utah. They are coming off winning the PAC-12. Kentucky plays a style of football that matches up well to Florida in recent years. I’m just being a realist whenever it comes to their schedule.

Would mean an 0-2 start in the Swamp. UF may very well suck, but I haven’t seen many 0-2 starts in the Swamp including with some really bad teams.

Then again, rarely have the first two home games been a top 10 team followed by a “not your Dad’s Kentucky” team.
Exactly, I’m not saying you guys will suck but having to play the defending PAC-12 champ and Kentucky out of the gate is not a good start.

Nope. UK is going to underperform. Especially on offense. They lost their top 3 performers at WR last year totaling over 2k in yardage production. Wandale alone had 1300 yards and was basically their entire offense. Rodriguez could be out week 1 due to the DUI. If that happens take Miami OH and the points. UK offense will sputter. Sounds crazy but I’m calling it.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
It’s not a matter of them sucking, it’s just that people underestimate Utah. They are coming off winning the PAC-12. Kentucky plays a style of football that matches up well to Florida in recent years. I’m just being a realist whenever it comes to their schedule.
It's realistic to think UF will win both those games. Time will tell if they actually do but it is a realistic expectation.

All of you predicting a Tennessee victory in this game are forgetting the most important thing….

It’s not about talent, it’s not about home field advantage, it’s not about them having a first year coach, it’s that we LITERALLY FORGET HOW TO PLAY FOOTBALL when we play them.

The whole football concept completely blows our mind when we step on the field against them. Last year they held us to our lowest point total of the season, we scored more against the best defense in the country (Georgia) than we did against them.

And on the other side of that coin, Samford hung 52 on them. South Florida put up 20 on them. We scored 14 points.

Stop predicting wins against Florida
I'm not a prophet but the last time I predicted a win against Florida, we won. Just saying...

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Some many times...so many years...so many hopes....dashed. Their QB, RB, CBs and DEs will all play like Heisman contenders only to s..t the bed the next week. However, they'll play NFL caliber football with UT comes to town.

iu

iu

Reactions: UTwild82

That’s a weird QB roster for sure. I know it counts at least 3 guys who have transferred, another couple are guys who play other positions, and then another few I’ve never heard of (must be walk-ons or something).

Reactions: bpalmer28
Gary Danielson will be talking about "a new number 15 for Heisman" when Florida comes to Knoxville. He'll be drooling all over himself.

Makes me want to throw up.

UT should win.

I like Heupel. I support him. He has me believing in "hope". That said, this game is a test of all that he has preached about leadership and culture. He likely has the better team. He has a year head start. Can he destroy whatever psychological block that has kept UT from beating UF? That will go a long way toward proving what he is as a HC.

Just my gut instinct, FL will have more trouble with Kentucky and TN than Utah.

I respect them and I know they’re good, but I don’t see them rolling into the Swamp, 110 degree heat and humidity, insane crowd noise, the buzz surrounding AR, new staff, etc and Utah just waltzes out of there with a win.

I will be far less surprised if UF enters the game 2-0 than 0-2.

UK isn't as talented in spite of winning last year. Utah just shouldn't be able to come to G'ville and win.... ever.

Just my gut instinct, FL will have more trouble with Kentucky and TN than Utah.

I respect them and I know they’re good, but I don’t see them rolling into the Swamp, 110 degree heat and humidity, insane crowd noise, the buzz surrounding AR, new staff, etc and Utah just waltzes out of there with a win.
All I know is that Utah is 21-7 (16-2) in their last two full seasons. Played in the PAC-12 Championship both of those seasons, winning one of them. They shouldn’t be overlooked.

They shouldn’t be overlooked.

Certainly won’t be. Unranked Florida vs top 10 Utah. First game of year and the fact that UF is playing an opponent they can certainly lose to means the Swamp will be in its full glory. And again, it’ll be a thousand degrees.

Utah hasn’t been to anything close to Florida in September in terms of heat and humidity.

Reactions: UTwild82

VN Store

Back