Vols open as 9.5 favorites over A&M

Nighthawk is all over this already, but just to point out: the Vols played 6 games away from home last year. Won 4, lost 2.

You just want to consider the 2 losses, extrapolate a general conclusion from that? Not how it works.

And I think that's Nighthawk's point.
What conclusion did I extrapolate??? All I said was take it into account. The last 3 big road games they've failed badly. It's a bit of a concern to me that they seem unprepared on the road LATELY as a coaching staff and the crowd keeps affecting the team.
So that makes me concerned about the trip to Bama.

Lol all I'm saying is the last 3 big road games the team has been very unprepared and affected by the crowd. It's just a little concerning to me.

So LSU last year wasn't big? PITT last year wasn't big?

Seriously ALL teams are impacted by crowd noise on the road especially if the home crowd is really into the game. Last year and this year the target is squarely on our backs. That makes "home crowds" more active and louder. Bama is not easy regardless of noise, but I expect them to be really loud and rowdy after last year - we put the first loss on them. We took Dixieland Delight back.

What conclusion did I extrapolate??? All I said was take it into account. The last 3 big road games they've failed badly. It's a bit of a concern to me that they seem unprepared on the road LATELY as a coaching staff and the crowd keeps affecting the team.

It was UGA AT UGA. It was a very pumped-up South Carolina AT SC coupled with an unplanned injury to the Hooker. It was at UF - news flash, we have never faired well at UF.

Line down to -3 and the ESPN FPI (taken with a grain of salt) has dropped us to a 56% chance to win. Perhaps the Alabama effect hasn’t completely gone away? People see that aTm played close and it’s taken as a testament to how good they are..? I don’t know.

It was UGA AT UGA. It was a very pumped-up South Carolina AT SC coupled with an unplanned injury to the Hooker. It was at UF - news flash, we have never faired well at UF.
Yep and the team was woefully unprepared. It's a new year and new team but almost the exact same coaching staff. They've obviously got some road wins under their belt. I'm just concerned on these last 3 major road games that were huge and I feel the coaching staff failed. So cut me some slack if I'm worried about how this team comes out against Bama lol.
BTW, the SC excuse is a hard sell because Hookers injury happend when the game was basically out of reach.

So LSU last year wasn't big? PITT last year wasn't big?

Seriously ALL teams are impacted by crowd noise on the road especially if the home crowd is really into the game. Last year and this year the target is squarely on our backs. That makes "home crowds" more active and louder. Bama is not easy regardless of noise, but I expect them to be really loud and rowdy after last year - we put the first loss on them. We took Dixieland Delight back.
I really don't know where I'm losing you to explain what I'm saying.
I'm not discounting Heupels road successes at UT. All I said was RECENT. R-E-C-E-N-T. I further explained meaning the last 3 big tests were duds. Sure, they've only played in 1 road game but I want to factor in Georgia and SC because it's basically the same staff.

Reactions: volbound1700
I really don't know where I'm losing you to explain what I'm saying.
I'm not discounting Heupels road successes at UT. All I said was RECENT. R-E-C-E-N-T. I further explained meaning the last 3 big tests were duds. Sure, they've only played in 1 road game but I want to factor in Georgia and SC because it's basically the same staff.

You are being selective. If you include last season you need to include ALL of last season.

A lot of teams struggle and lose on the road - that is why it is known as a 'home field' advantage.

Yep and the team was woefully unprepared. It's a new year and new team but almost the exact same coaching staff. They've obviously got some road wins under their belt. I'm just concerned on these last 3 major road games that were huge and I feel the coaching staff failed. So cut me some slack if I'm worried about how this team comes out against Bama lol.
BTW, the SC excuse is a hard sell because Hookers injury happend when the game was basically out of reach.
. . .plus Hooker didn’t play defense so had little to do with SCs 63 points.

In some ways this will be A&M's first REAL road test. They did play Miami at Miami but that's hardly an intimidating venue and they got thumped. The Arkansas game was in Arlington supposedly a neutral site, but come on its still Texas. They looked just okay against the worst Alabama team in a decade or more at Kyle field. The only explanation I can see for the line falling from -9.5 to -3, -3.5 is a lot of money had to come in on A&M.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Having the Bye Week is going to help Tennessee in this one.

To defend Other Guy, I have been thinking the same thing. Tennessee has lost its MAJOR road games... but LSU.... LSU was a noon game and the crowd was not in it like UGA was last year or UF this year.

But Pittsburgh... did you see their crowd? Stadium was half empty. We also survived that game and didn't win it in dramatic fashion.

I have noticed a trend of Tennessee struggling on the road. A lot of SEC teams seem to be doing that lately not named Georgia.

Reactions: HalfullVol
When I watched A&M and Bama, I didn't see two great teams duking it out. I saw two (or at least 1), mediocre teams. Alabama's offensive concerns are still just as real as the previous week, A&M's secondary just let them down big time and couldn't cover Burton. Bama doesn't have just overwhelming talent at the skill positions, and frankly their RB room is just not very good. Jase McClellen is their best back and he's just above average. Maybe on par with Jabari small, though small has slightly better stats. Burton had a great game, but he was a virtual non-factor before that game. Bond is pretty decent as well, but that's truthfully all they have, plus a QB that is not very accurate.

A&M's offensive line looks like a weakness now. We've proven we can take advantage of that. If they are not able to consistently throw the ball, I don't think they have much a of chance. Johnson is a solid QB, but he likes to hold on to the ball and he makes mistakes. He's certainly not as good as Rattler and we saw what he looked like with a shaky offensive line.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
. . .plus Hooker didn’t play defense so had little to do with SCs 63 points.
HHs unforced injury fumble was a 14 point turnaround but you’re right he does not play D but that was still a big point in a game where a lot had went SCs way anyway

You had an unprepared Oline. That’s where it all started. Now we can go back and forth on why that was and why the coaches didn’t have them better prepared but the fact is right now our Oline is night and day better.

When I watched A&M and Bama, I didn't see two great teams duking it out. I saw two (or at least 1), mediocre teams. Alabama's offensive concerns are still just as real as the previous week, A&M's secondary just let them down big time and couldn't cover Burton. Bama doesn't have just overwhelming talent at the skill positions, and frankly their RB room is just not very good. Jase McClellen is their best back and he's just above average. Maybe on par with Jabari small, though small has slightly better stats. Burton had a great game, but he was a virtual non-factor before that game. Bond is pretty decent as well, but that's truthfully all they have, plus a QB that is not very accurate.

A&M's offensive line looks like a weakness now. We've proven we can take advantage of that. If they are not able to consistently throw the ball, I don't think they have much a of chance. Johnson is a solid QB, but he likes to hold on to the ball and he makes mistakes. He's certainly not as good as Rattler and we saw what he looked like with a shaky offensive line.
A lot of people are ready to crown Bama after that one (read: Josh Pate). I saw what you saw: an ugly slugfest between two teams with good defenses and offenses that are still struggling.

VN Store

Back