Vols on CBS

We should be on CBS for the Missouri game, if you look at that week, there is no better game going on as most of the conference plays cupcakes that week and we actually may be the only sec conference game that week.

Better announcers? Are you for real? Don't you know Verne and Gary suck! I hate Verne's voice and Gary knows nothing of football, nothing he says ever makes sense or comes remotely close to coming to fruition.

Well deputy, to each their own..they must be doing something right because CBS has had them as the announcers for years now..

Well deputy, to each their own..they must be doing something right because CBS has had them as the announcers for years now..

Now I do have to concede the validity of your argument. Look no further than Chris Berman, one of the last bastions of excellence in the realm of sportscasting, as a strong testament to the direct relationship between longevity and quality.

We should be on CBS for the Missouri game, if you look at that week, there is no better game going on as most of the conference plays cupcakes that week and we actually may be the only sec conference game that week.

I'm thinking Ole Miss - Arky.

When was the last time the Vols didn't play on CBS the entire season? We'll need to upset Ole Miss to get Bama at 3:30, if we don't we might be on ESPN2 and SEC Network all season.

They pick their game 12 days in advance so how we do vs ole miss won't matter. Here are the games that week:

TBD Ole Miss @ LSU
TBD Mississippi State @ Kentucky
TBD South Carolina @ Auburn
TBD Alabama @ Tennessee
TBD Vanderbilt @ Missouri

I think there is a decent chance that TN/Alabama is the CBS game. Its rivalry and would draw big tv ratings. LSU is fading fast I don't think they'll get it on. Although Kentucky has a good chance to be 6-1 that week if Mississippi State is 7-0 that would be a good matchup to put up too.

Tennessee's next best chance to be on CBS would be this week, especially if they upset either ole miss or alabama and beat south carolina:

TBD Ole Miss @ Arkansas
TBD Missouri @ Tennessee
TBD Vanderbilt @ Mississippi State

CBS plays the best football games, has the better announcers and has a much better overall production of a game than espn, or abc. no one can beat their theme song either. in 1998 we beat both arky and fl on CBS with Sean mcdounagh and terry Donahue calling those games. Perhaps the best announcing duo ever for college football
Well, I must say that I thought they were pretty good, although I love Mike Patrick and his (Holy Cow) lines. Uncle Verne is getting long in the tooth and making a lot of mistakes and I just flat out can't stand Danielson.I thought Musburger and the Jesse Palmer did a pretty good job saturday. The ex Gator qb actually said he thought that the hit on Driskell was not targeting and then he said he didn't think it should even be a penalty. Replays proved him correct and that became the ruling.

They pick their game 12 days in advance so how we do vs ole miss won't matter. Here are the games that week:

TBD Ole Miss @ LSU
TBD Mississippi State @ Kentucky
TBD South Carolina @ Auburn
TBD Alabama @ Tennessee
TBD Vanderbilt @ Missouri

I think there is a decent chance that TN/Alabama is the CBS game. Its rivalry and would draw big tv ratings. LSU is fading fast I don't think they'll get it on. Although Kentucky has a good chance to be 6-1 that week if Mississippi State is 7-0 that would be a good matchup to put up too.
A Kentucky team at 6-1 BEFORE November. Say it couldn't be possible?

Reactions: 1 person
When was the last time the Vols didn't play on CBS the entire season? We'll need to upset Ole Miss to get Bama at 3:30, if we don't we might be on ESPN2 and SEC Network all season.

I bet it's on because of the Kiffin circus..

Reactions: 1 person
CBS picks its games based on fan base size/viewing numbers as much as (well actually, probably more so than) it does team rankings.

They're going for eyeballs, not the best games.

I can tell you for 100% it has nothing to do with fan base size. It is 100% about the match up and the two teams ranking and what it means in the overall SEC and national standings from the outcome of that game !

ALL SEC teams get at least ONE game on CBS. A team cannot appear more than 3 times or they would show alabama or auburn every week. This is a deal the SEC had with CBS per contract

I can tell you for 100% it has nothing to do with fan base size. It is 100% about the match up and the two teams ranking and what it means in the overall SEC and national standings from the outcome of that game !

Not really true. Just have to look at last season.

In fact, especially in the east that season - where we saw a smaller-base school doing well in the "overall SEC and national standings category" - here's how CBS responded with its programming:

Oct. 18 - CBS picked #15 UGA (4-2) vs a 3-loss Vanderbilt, passing on a #14 Missouri (5-0) playing a #22 Florida (4-2) (this was also a double-header week).

Oct. 26 - (As much as I love this rivalry) - CBS picked Tennessee (4-3) vs #1 Alabama (7-0), passing on #20 South Carolina (6-1) vs #5 Missouri (7-0) [the two teams leading in the East Division race].

Nov. 2 - CBS picked a 4-3 unranked UGA vs an unranked 4-3 UF over 3 conference games involving ranked SEC teams ranked #8, #14, and #10 (two of these were smaller fan base schools: South Carolina and Missouri).

Even, Nov. 23 - CBS picked a #9 Texas A&M (8-2) vs #18 LSU (7-3); this one's only significant because both these teams were mathematically eliminated from winning the Western Division - and thus the SEC Championship - at this point; games that were passed: #8 Missouri vs #24 Ole Miss.

In fact, from an article AL.com wrote last year (mainly want to point out the bold part, though the underlined parts could be kind of relevant as well):

The SEC East's road to Atlanta now goes through Columbia, Mo. But CBS won't be showing that path the next two weeks when Missouri, a new kid on the SEC block, plays Florida and South Carolina.

Put it this way: Tennessee and Vanderbilt, who are both winless in the SEC, will soon have a combined four CBS appearances this season compared to none for SEC East leader Missouri.

CBS, which has the first pick of SEC games, cited several factors for its selection choices: national rankings, standings, star power, injuries, rivalries, tradition, and past ratings.

Prior to Missouri's win at Georgia last week, CBS selected Georgia-Vanderbilt and Auburn-Texas A&M as its doubleheader for this Saturday. (It's Vanderbilt's first appearance on CBS in more than a decade.) Missouri-Florida will be shown on SEC Network syndicated affiliates at 11:21 a.m. Central.

After the Missouri upset, CBS opted for Alabama-Tennessee on Oct. 26. Missouri-South Carolina will be on ESPN or ESPN2 at 6 p.m. (CBS has already used a six-day window for the week it picked Georgia-Tennessee. CBS wouldn't say how many of those windows it can exercise in a season.)

"For us, the good news is the level of competition and quality across the conference is at such a high level that we feel we have more than one choice," said Dan Weinberg, CBS senior vice president of programming.

CBS' viewership for its first four SEC games averaged a 4.9 rating, up 48 percent from last year. The overnight rating for last week's Florida-LSU game was a 3.4.

SEC on CBS Ratings in 2013

Game Rating
Alabama-Texas A&M 8.6
Florida-Tennessee 2.8
Georgia-LSU 4.6
Georgia-Tennessee 3.5
Florida-LSU 3.4 *

* Florida-LSU is an overnight metered market rating.

Airing Missouri-South Carolina next week would have carried a risk CBS usually doesn't take. Forty-seven of the past 50 SEC regular-season games on CBS involved at least one of the SEC's traditional powers (Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU and Tennessee).

The exceptions over the past four years: Missouri-South Carolina in 2012 (2.5 rating), South Carolina-Arkansas in 2012 (1.8 rating), and Mississippi State-Arkansas in 2011 (1.9 rating). Those rank among CBS' lowest-rated SEC games over that period.

Missouri was on CBS twice last year, drawing a 2.1 in its 32-point loss to Alabama and a 2.5 in its 21-point loss to South Carolina.
The Missouri ratings were discussed "no more than any other factor we talked about," Weinberg said. "Obviously a closer game is on some level a game that has more appeal just because there's more drama than a blowout."

A wrinkle got thrown into Missouri's SEC East title hopes when quarterback James Franklin was injured last week. Franklin is out for multiple games.

"Injuries are a factor, but only one of many factors," Weinberg said. "We're looking holistically at our potential options. Do we focus on a key injury here or there? Yes. But not any more than other things. Who are the schools involved? What kind of star power do they have? What kind of appeal do they have across the country?"

CBS often picks the highest-ranked available team, particularly if that school is ranked No. 1. Alabama has been No. 1 all year, but has so far appeared only once on CBS.

Alabama-Tennessee offers more recognizable names than Missouri. On the other hand, there's the risk of an Alabama-Tennessee blowout that could cause viewers to tune out.

CBS was slow to broadcast the rise of SEC newcomer Texas A&M and Johnny Manziel last year and aired the Aggies only once, for their late-season win over Alabama. That's not to say Missouri has a Manziel (it doesn't), or will necessarily keep winning.

But at the moment, Missouri is one of only 14 unbeaten teams in the Football Bowl Subdivision. Alabama is the only other SEC team without a loss.

Missouri's performance is "one of a lot of really compelling stories in the conference this year," Weinberg said. "It's amazing the quality of play that continues to be seen on the field. Here's Missouri, in just their second year in the conference, and really making a tremendous amount of noise."

You may hear about Missouri on CBS. You'll just have to watch it elsewhere.

Last edited:
Not really true. Just have to look at last season.

In fact, especially in the east that season - where we saw a smaller-base school doing well in the "overall SEC and national standings category" - here's how CBS responded with its programming:

Oct. 18 - CBS picked #15 UGA (4-2) vs a 3-loss Vanderbilt, passing on a #14 Missouri (5-0) playing a #22 Florida (4-2) (this was also a double-header week).

Oct. 26 - (As much as I love this rivalry) - CBS picked Tennessee (4-3) vs #1 Alabama (7-0), passing on #20 South Carolina (6-1) vs #5 Missouri (7-0) [the two teams leading in the East Division race].

Nov. 2 - CBS picked a 4-3 unranked UGA vs an unranked 4-3 UF over 3 conference games involving ranked SEC teams ranked #8, #14, and #10 (two of these were smaller fan base schools: South Carolina and Missouri).

Even, Nov. 23 - CBS picked a #9 Texas A&M (8-2) vs #18 LSU (7-3); this one's only significant because both these teams were mathematically eliminated from winning the Western Division - and thus the SEC Championship - at this point; games that were passed: #8 Missouri vs #24 Ole Miss.

In fact, from an article AL.com wrote last year (mainly want to point out the bold part, though the underlined parts could be kind of relevant as well):

I can appreciate that long long amount of information but who do you want to trust someone that works for CBS or something you read?

VN Store

Back