Vols looking at grad transfer WR Velus Jones

Experience beats talent sometimes. It certainly compliments it all the time.

We’ve had some guys leave and ball out elsewhere. Who’s to say that can’t work both ways?

Reactions: VolForLife83
I guess they're thinking depth but I would prefer that younger players get the reps. USC has great depth at WR and Helton has been underwhelming in his talent evaluation, but we've got Gibbs, Palmer, Keyton, Tillman and the 2 freshman coming in. If we want more depth go steal a 3 star from a lesser school or grab a juco (there are 2 listed on ESPN's Top 50 jucos who are being recruited by 3rd tier teams) rather than a 1 and done

Reactions: MemphisVol77
If he couldn't make it on the field at USC, why give him a spot on our roster? He would only have 1 year of eligibility.

Because USC is simply reciprocating...One year for Jones vs one year of Drew Richmond. Probably a fair trade ;)

Reactions: LittleVol
Take the USC name out of the equation. He doesn't appear to have any more potential than our current roster. I hope to get the pass rusher from Temple and recruit a young speedster at WR if possible. However, he may be the fallback plan.
Everyone in the country wants the edge rusher from Temple. Jones we recruited and he has ties to our staff (Tee). He's got tremendous speed and would be a contributor, especially as a KR. He is worth a good look.

Reactions: tbones0711
In looking at the receiving stats, I didn't realize Josh Palmer had more catches than Callaway this year.

But Callaway is definitely a bigger playmaker. Think that's what will really hurt next season; we have some guys who can get open and catch the ball, but it's tough to find guys like Jennings and Callaway who can break tackles and make big plays. Hopefully, we find some players to step next year.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
I would rather get a proven edge rusher bth. I like our young WRs and with Palmer being the leader as a senior I think he has a JJ year.

Reactions: savannahfan
No, you're right. It's not a fair evaluation, just that they're unproven. I think Keyton and Tillman both have a lot of potential.

Agreed! Palmer made some great catches this past season...His catch against KY was TOP 10 plays of the week worthy....

I like how they look.....I just don't see any of them demonstrating enough speed to create a lot of separation down the field.
But, it's too hard to truly evaluate because NONE of our current QBs ever give them a decent chance to prove it because they always UNDERTHROW deep balls....

Agreed! Palmer made some great catches this past season...His catch against KY was TOP 10 plays of the week worthy....

I like how they look.....I just don't see any of them demonstrating enough speed to create a lot of separation down the field.
But, it's too hard to truly evaluate because NONE of our current QBs ever give them a decent chance to prove it because they always UNDERTHROW deep balls....
Shrout throws a pretty deep ball....i would like to see Velus outrun the cannon arm

Shrout throws a pretty deep ball....i would like to see Velus outrun the cannon arm

Maurer threw the best deep ball that we had all year against UGA to Callaway......

Shrout threw a deep ball to Callaway against USCe....threw it over to an open part of the field that Callaway had to adjust and go get..but he didn't throw BEYOND Callaway.

But no argument about his arm strength--he's the strongest arm...and still can't throw it beyond them.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I think Palmer could have a really big year next year. I'm also excited to see if Gibbs can live up to the hype he seems to have generated around campus this year.
We lose a lot but theres some players coming back.

Keyton is another

Not really. Our WR corps is gonna be pretty good.
We’ll have some pretty good options but how many decent WR is enough? I’m thinking at least 8 and it’s looking like we’ll have 7 if all the unproven guys and incoming guys turn out to be decent. And I’m sure our coaches would like to have the option of redshirting some guys.

Reactions: savannahfan
We need experience at wide receiver even if it's just to increase competition in the WR room. Winning this year is the only way we recruit better. I say we take him

I think it makes sense. Bring an experienced, mature WR to help that group grow and compete. Looking to bolster that position in 2020 and grad transfer is a good option.

VN Store

Back