Vols Line Play?

Randy Beaver

Hello, I recently moved to the Knoxville area from NW Arkansas after living there for about 3 years. We are transplanted Brits and we became fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks and big fans of NCAA football. We had a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that met monthly at Applebees restaurants around the area. Had some very passionate and heated discussions. Would love to start a new group in the Knoxville area. Anyway, enough about me.
Since moving here about 4 months ago, my wife and I have began following Vols football and became pretty big fans. Not so hard to leave the Razorbacks as they were hard to enjoy . However, my wife and I are very concerned with the lack of physicality on the offensive and defensive lines of Tennessee. Is it good enough to win in the SEC? We have been studying the physics/mechanics of blocking each night before bed. We watch some game film from this season, paying particular attention to the offensive line play. We pick a lineman and then role play that particular blocking technique from each play. We feel the best technique is when my wife is able to lock her hands just under my armpits near my breasts with her butt dropped below the level of my waist. I outweigh her and she is easily able to force me backwards each time she uses those mechanics. Tennessee offensive lineman seem to use that technique the majority of the time. So if they are being taught the right techniques, is this a problem with the strength and conditioning of our players? Because they are certainly not able to consistently get the push in SEC play that my wife is able to get on me. Anyone know what is being stressed in Vols strength program?

Hello, I recently moved to the Knoxville area from NW Arkansas after living there for about 3 years. We are transplanted Brits and we became fans of the Arkansas Razorbacks and big fans of NCAA football. We had a thriving couples NCAA football discussion group that met monthly at Applebees restaurants around the area. Had some very passionate and heated discussions. Would love to start a new group in the Knoxville area. Anyway, enough about me.
Since moving here about 4 months ago, my wife and I have began following Vols football and became pretty big fans. Not so hard to leave the Razorbacks as they were hard to enjoy . However, my wife and I are very concerned with the lack of physicality on the offensive and defensive lines of Tennessee. Is it good enough to win in the SEC? We have been studying the physics/mechanics of blocking each night before bed. We watch some game film from this season, paying particular attention to the offensive line play. We pick a lineman and then role play that particular blocking technique from each play. We feel the best technique is when my wife is able to lock her hands just under my armpits near my breasts with her butt dropped below the level of my waist. I outweigh her and she is easily able to force me backwards each time she uses those mechanics. Tennessee offensive lineman seem to use that technique the majority of the time. So if they are being taught the right techniques, is this a problem with the strength and conditioning of our players? Because they are certainly not able to consistently get the push in SEC play that my wife is able to get on me. Anyone know what is being stressed in Vols strength program?

You have breasts??

Come on guys. This appears to be a new VOL fan asking a very valid question; one that has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Behave. ;)

As for the original post, OL play has been subpar for a couple of years now. We have had a bit of an injury bug with the line, plus a former HC that wanted to use smaller/quicker linemen. Did not work out as this undersized group were subjected to five different strength coaches in five years. Last year they were coached by a person who was promoted from Offensive Quality Control to line coach. This year we lost our starting center after the first game and our best lineman by far to a health concern in the middle of the year.

The prognosis going ahead is a bit better. We are recruiting much larger and stronger linemen (even those coming in as preferred walk ons are bigger than some of our scholarship linemen) and they will have the same strength coach for the second straight year. We have a decent OL coach, and an Athletic Director that should be able to help the coach with advice. Our concern is keeping Phil Fulmer off the practice field so we don't get any more minor violations.

I hope my limited knowledge helps a little.

Greatest post of all time! You win!

I was thinking maybe the Olive Garden.

Randy, if you see Gerald Fitzpatrick or Patrick Fitzgerald at Applebees next week, tell them Seymour Buttz said hello.

Where at in England?

We originally hail from charming little place called Heckmondwike. Have you ever been there?

Thanks Pride85 for the informative post. It does sound to me like we might need a better strength and conditioning protocol as well as focusing on recruiting bigger, stronger lineman. If I get a chance later today or in the morning, I will tell you guys about a workout program that I've been using for years. It has kept me in tip-top shape.

I believe that safewords are now being utilized in the weight room to eliminate injuries by “crossing a consensual line” whilst still pushing the team to their physical limits and thusly increasing their collective tolerances in differing areas.
Seems to be working, far less injuries last year than in previous years.

Welcome to VN!

We only meet at Waffle House.

I was thinking maybe the Olive Garden.

th

No secret that the Vols were terrible last season on both lines. The reasons seem to be mostly the last coach that was here. He seemed to have decimated the talent and also the strength and physicality of not only the lines but the entire team. You may see a big difference this season at least that is the hope in both lines as they are now being managed to train and get physically stronger etc in the off season. Were trying to determine if Friend is the right coach to lead the offensive line. He will have a great incoming class and a bunch of guys that will be with him for their second season. He has been an excellent OL coach in the past didn't see much improvement from our guys as the season progressed. So a wait and see if were better on both lines no excuses not to be and you can certainly expect Tennessee fans to yell loud and long if we don't see some improvement in the lines, the entire team, and the won lost record.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
We originally hail from charming little place called Heckmondwike. Have you ever been there?

Thanks Pride85 for the informative post. It does sound to me like we might need a better strength and conditioning protocol as well as focusing on recruiting bigger, stronger lineman. If I get a chance later today or in the morning, I will tell you guys about a workout program that I've been using for years. It has kept me in tip-top shape.

Anndddd here we go. I bet he’s just here to advertise.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
Come on guys. This appears to be a new VOL fan asking a very valid question; one that has been discussed ad nauseum on this site. Behave. ;)

As for the original post, OL play has been subpar for a couple of years now. We have had a bit of an injury bug with the line, plus a former HC that wanted to use smaller/quicker linemen. Did not work out as this undersized group were subjected to five different strength coaches in five years. Last year they were coached by a person who was promoted from Offensive Quality Control to line coach. This year we lost our starting center after the first game and our best lineman by far to a health concern in the middle of the year.

The prognosis going ahead is a bit better. We are recruiting much larger and stronger linemen (even those coming in as preferred walk ons are bigger than some of our scholarship linemen) and they will have the same strength coach for the second straight year. We have a decent OL coach, and an Athletic Director that should be able to help the coach with advice. Our concern is keeping Phil Fulmer off the practice field so we don't get any more minor violations.

I hope my limited knowledge helps a little.

Thanks Pride, This forum is like many on here and reminds me of some training classes I have been in. People have no idea what your talking about or they can’t contribute anything intelligent to the conversation, so they make comments that they think are funny, but just further emphasizes their lack of knowledge about the subject.

Thanks Pride, This forum is like many on here and reminds me of some training classes I have been in. People have no idea what your talking about or they can’t contribute anything intelligent to the conversation, so they make comments that they think are funny, but just further emphasizes their lack of knowledge about the subject.
Thank you for this intelligent and informational contribution. Don't be such a stranger.

Reactions: MoodyVol

VN Store

Back