Vols In the Combine

Hyams Reported Bituli, Darrell Taylor got invites... No JJ, No Quez, No DWA.... How is Does Quez not get any love. Seems he was more a victim of bad QB play than his talent. Thoughts?

The NFL Draft is LOADED at WR this cycle.
That's why.

Jennings and Calloway will still be drafted and make NFL teams. Both are very good.

Reactions: WiscVol and MAD
Hyams Reported Bituli, Darrell Taylor got invites... No JJ, No Quez, No DWA.... How is Does Quez not get any love. Seems he was more a victim of bad QB play than his talent. Thoughts?
He also said.....
VFLs Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway, both wideouts, are expected to attend the Combine. The deadline for accepting an invite was Monday. Jennings had a strong showing in the Senior Bowl; how he runs at the Combine could determine how high he’s picked.

One source who attended the Senior Bowl said he thinks Jennings will be drafted in rounds 5-7 although several projections have him going in the 3rd round. The source said some teams don’t have Jennings on their board due to character concerns.

Reactions: Sara Clark
Jennings didn’t get an invite? That’s really surprising to me. I wonder if he even runs a 40 at our pro day if him and his agent think it will be a detriment to getting drafted high

Is anyone actually surprised by this though?
I am somewhat. He had a dispute with a lame duck head coach. No he shouldn't have made the video but I didnt even think it was a huge deal at the time. It's not like he's had any legal troubles or failed drug tests that I'm aware of.

He also said.....
VFLs Jauan Jennings and Marquez Callaway, both wideouts, are expected to attend the Combine. The deadline for accepting an invite was Monday. Jennings had a strong showing in the Senior Bowl; how he runs at the Combine could determine how high he’s picked.

One source who attended the Senior Bowl said he thinks Jennings will be drafted in rounds 5-7 although several projections have him going in the 3rd round. The source said some teams don’t have Jennings on their board due to character concerns.
The character issue came back up from the Vanderbilt incident. Some teams just don't want to take a chance with the WR field so stacked this year. Seems like they only invite 16 or so each
I think all three of them get a real shot because of their versatility on special teams as well as their toughness.

I am somewhat. He had a dispute with a lame duck head coach. No he shouldn't have made the video but I didnt even think it was a huge deal at the time. It's not like he's had any legal troubles or failed drug tests that I'm aware of.

Teams have shown a willingness to put up with LOTS worse if they think they're getting a good player.

This is somewhat sad news if true. Seems to me..he's more than redeemed himself in the "character department."

Yep. I don't see anyone w that viewpoint unless looking from afar.

Plus, some draft sources say rnd 5-7 bc their organization is preparing to snag someone in Rd 1. We'll see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sara Clark
He also said.....

That incident at Vandy is gonna cost him a lot. Unfortunate really because pretty sure it wasn’t on purpose

Callaway's struggles against physical corners is why he's likely to not get drafted, nothing to do with QB play.

Reactions: k-town_king
That incident at Vandy is gonna cost him a lot. Unfortunate really because pretty sure it wasn’t on purpose
I have to disagree with you on this one RT140. IMO his forty speed and the amount of receivers in this years draft will hurt him the most. Not the non call Vandy crap. Still say someone will pick him around the third round.

Reactions: RockyTop140
Callaway's struggles against physical corners is why he's likely to not get drafted, nothing to do with QB play.

He absolutely WILL get drafted.
He adds value as a return man and deep threat.
Yes QB was awful for past 3 years. You can't say it has NOTHING to do with it when the QB is responsible for getting him the ball.

But Calloway has plenty of highlights displaying his big play ability. He'll run 4.39 and junp close to 37". Calloway would have kept a guy like DaRick Rogers on the bench if it were between the two. He just didn't have a QB.

You watch and see...

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan
He absolutely WILL get drafted.
He adds value as a return man and deep threat.
Yes QB was awful for past 3 years. You can't say it has NOTHING to do with it when the QB is responsible for getting him the ball.

But Calloway has plenty of highlights displaying his big play ability. He'll run 4.39 and junp close to 37". Calloway would have kept a guy like DaRick Rogers on the bench if it were between the two. He just didn't have a QB.

You watch and see...
I'm a big fan of Callaway's and believe he's a good receiver that will play in the NFL. This class has a ton of quality WRs and he's rated generally around 30th. Without the combine it's gonna be tough to showcase his skillset alongside the top guys. If he runs a 4.39 laser at pro day he'll get drafted, if he runs an average time he'll go somewhere as an undrafted free agent, hopefully to the Titans. I think there is going to be a bunch of really good WRs that won't get drafted this year because of the sheer number of talented wideouts. I have no idea how fast he is but as you know 4.39 is jet fast.

JJ, coming into the 2019 season, is a guy that I (wrongly) thought was overrated by Vol fans. He had never been our top receiver and wasn't the fastest guy around.

After seeing how he performed in his final year, I think someone gets a steal on him in the middle rounds. He finds a way to get open even against faster DBs and he's a huge asset in the running game.

I dont believe JJ has character issue, however i do believe he is a fiery competitor that could be misunderstood... JJ was here 5 years and how many off field issues did he encounter... Zero

Reactions: LittleVol

VN Store

Back