Vols in the 2023 NFL Draft

The Artful Dodger

Fist Baller
While once again Tennessee will be having minimal players drafted, most likely in the later rounds in this year's draft, UT's 2023 draft prospects look much more promising. Heup has developed better than any coach we've had in a while and if all goes well Tennessee could get back to it's culture of sending many highly drafted prospects to the next level. Which would have a snowball affect for the future, especially if recruiting continues to trend upward.

Here is a list of players that I believe CAN (not necessarily will) be drafted next year, and their position ranking heading into the 2022 season according to draftcountdown.com. Of course, all these player rankings can change depending on how this year goes.

Offense
Hooker #6 QB
Tillman #25 WR
Hyatt #51 WR
Small #40 RB
Fant #36 TE
Warren #37 TE
Carvin #64 OG
Mays #13 C

Defense
Baron #29 Edge
Bailey #53 DL
Whitehead #48 LB
Eason #52 LB

Special Teams
McGrath #22 K

By no means do I think we will have 13 players drafted but this is just a guide to show the status of our draft eligible prospects heading into the 2022 season. I could see 6-8 players being drafted, which would still be a huge step up for the program.

Movers: Hooker and Tillman could move up and possibly even receive some 1st round grades (Especially Hooker).
Players that could put themselves in a position to be drafted with good seasons: Byron Young, Darnell Wright, Jerome Carvin, Jaylen Mccollough, Trevon Flowers, Jeremy Banks. (Was really surprised that Young or Carvin wasn't on any draft board.)

Let me know yalls opinions on were the Vols will land in the 2023 draft.

I think Byron Young could easily be a 2nd round pick if he stays healthy and gets better. Pass rushers are always at a premium in the draft.

Tillman maybe 2-3 round, although WR is always stacked in the draft so he would have to really wow every single game this season to get that high.

I always hoped Wright would be great but he just hasn't lived up to his 5* ranking. Now he's moving back to the right side? Not a great sign iyam.

Hooker needs to be a more consistent passer to get drafted.

The rest are just meh/late round at best in the NFL unless they really turn it on this season.

Reactions: The Artful Dodger
I think Byron Young could easily be a 2nd round pick if he stays healthy and gets better. Pass rushers are always at a premium in the draft.

Tillman maybe 2-3 round, although WR is always stacked in the draft so he would have to really wow every single game this season to get that high.

I always hoped Wright would be great but he just hasn't lived up to his 5* ranking. Now he's moving back to the right side? Not a great sign iyam.

Hooker needs to be a more consistent passer to get drafted.

The rest are just meh/late round at best in the NFL unless they really turn it on this season.
Young not being there surprised me too. Martinez and Garner have good track records of sending prospects to the draft. I have a feeling they will further develop a few of these players into draftable prospects. 31tds 3 picks and the 2nd highest passer rating in the country is pretty consistent. Hooker will be drafted but still has work to do to move into the early rounds.

cart2-5ac101f5f1592.jpg

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Young not being there surprised me too. Martinez and Garner have good track records of sending prospects to the draft. I have a feeling they will further develop a few of these players into draftable prospects. 31tds 3 picks and the 2nd highest passer rating in the country is pretty consistent. Hooker will be drafted but still has work to do to move into the early rounds.
He's a great college Qb, no doubt. I really want him to take the next step. If he can get over the 70% mark, and make some really big throws in big games/pressure situations, he will jump up the board.

Reactions: The Artful Dodger
Indeed, this entire thread should be predicated with something we are not very familiar with as a fan base. Continued health and player development.
Yes. I should have implied this. I don't think Heupel and his coaches will all of a sudden forget how to develop but health is key considering how thin at a lot of positions we are. I am also hoping that the recent trend of Tennessee players that may not have the highest grade but perform well in workouts and the combine continue. If that is the case then we could see these draft grades rise.

You have our 4th string RB being drafted to the NFL at LINEBACKER next year? - While we have one of the top returning tacklers at LB already going in thag same draft.

Hooker, Tillman, and Carvin will get drafted. Cooper probably stays another year. Baron is the only one on defense that I would say might. I'd say Small will stay another year unless he has a monster year.

Great. Now I have to think about how big a reload 2023 season will be.

I'm happy concentrating on this draft, and this season.

thankyewverymuch

VN Store

Back