Vols flip Gooch from AUB!

Google is hard. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ https://ucfknights.com/sports/football/roster

16 OL listed on the UCF 2020 Roster
  • 7 between 310-335 lbs
  • 5 between 300-305 lbs
  • 4 lightest were 290 lbs

21 OL listed on the 2019 Roster (no COVID holdouts)
  • 8 between 310-335 lbs
  • 4 between 301-305 lbs
  • 6 between 290-293 lbs
Incidentally, here's the starting O-Line for the Kansas City Chiefs
  • Eric Fishcher - 315 lbs
  • Nick Allegretti - 320 lbs
  • Austin Reiter - 300 lbs
  • Andrew Wylie - 309 lbs
  • Mike Remmers - 303 lbs

What does any of that have to do with whether or not Gooch was "too big" to be on UT's oline?

Where has it been said that he wants small and nimble OL? I would think the fact that we just signed a JUCO kid that is 6-6 315 lbs would say otherwise? Plus if you look at UCF roster the OL isnt small. Looks completely different than what Butch was going for. Most seem to be around 6-4 to 6-6 and 290 to 315.

He is to big for the new offensive line.
gooch.png

If Gooch is "too big" for our offensive line, then what type of line are we trying to build?

Last edited:
Iowa State got turned around by recruiting tall guys and hanging weight on them, slow or not. Bum Phillips was quoted once about a good big man beats a great little man every time.
True. They also seem to have a formula for finding guys who can carry the weight. What they do considering the distance from Ames to any significant talent pool is pretty amazing.

Imagine a Gooch at H-back instead of offensive tackle...

Something like that is bound to show up in one of our goal line packages.

Too Big? I'd say just not athletic enough. I don't see his tape showing much pulling or the need to move much. The HS kids simply cannot get around him.

Here is a quote from a HS kid they are currently looking at:

"Elarbee pointed towards Brubaker’s explosiveness as a reason for sticking out on film. “One of his big talking points was about how the offense will be up-tempo,” the offensive tackle said. “Up-temp and fast break football. That’s the plan at Tennessee. He also said they want offensive linemen who understand what they’re trying to do in that scheme. "

gooch.png

If Gooch is "too big" for our offensive line, then what type of line are we trying to build?
I was asking where it was that Heupel said he wanted small and nimble, because that doesn’t go with what he had a UCF. Butch was going after guys that were 260 to 280. Big difference in that and guys at around 300. I would figure Heupel cares as much about foot speed as he does size?

I was asking where it was that Heupel said he wanted small and nimble, because that doesn’t go with what he had a UCF. Butch was going after guys that were 260 to 280. Big difference in that and guys at around 300. I would figure Heupel cares as much about foot speed as he does size?

I would think he values the ability to block on 6-7 plays in a 2 minute period without becoming so winded that you can’t stand up.

My post wasn't addressed to Huepel, it was addressed to @tennesseeduke , who stated that Gooch was "too big for the new offensive line."

Road grader and Rocky Top kinda sound good together. Love to see the return of the Tennessee Valley Authority that cleared the way for Cobb, Webb, Lewis Hardesty, and many more.

The last two guys who coached at UT and wanted "finesse" blocking and small "nimble" olinemen.
Screen-Shot-2016-04-16-at-10.09.26-PM.png
mahoneyh.jpg

How'd that work out?
Check out the O linemen that Bama has been recruiting out of high school. Most of them are in the 285-290 range to begin with and they build them up. Not come out of HS at 375 and hope he can drop it off.

Well, if football doesn't work out for him, perhaps a good challenger to Joey Chestnut????

VN Store

Back