Vols climb to #8 in AP Poll

Just keep reminding them that one Elite Eight is the history. Rankings during the season are nice, but their place in history has to be written in March (not to put any unnecessary pressure on them though).

After 5 games, I feel this team is better than the Schofield, Grant, Bone team of 2 years ago.

Doesn't mean they will go further in the dance, but they are really fun to watch.

Anyone feeling bad for Coach Cal in seeing his record and basically suspending a player for bad conduct?

Reactions: FlVols
After 5 games, I feel this team is better than the Schofield, Grant, Bone team of 2 years ago.

Doesn't mean they will go further in the dance, but they are really fun to watch.

Anyone feeling bad for Coach Cal in seeing his record and basically suspending a player for bad conduct?
They definitely have the potential to be but not sure I’d put them quite there yet. That team had some intangibles which we’ve yet to see from this one. This team hasn’t had any adversity yet. That team had an incredible grit and determination to win. Emotional leaders like Admiral and Grant. Fulk has shown that same determination, but we’ll see how the chemistry of this team evolves.

At this point I don’t agree but I do see the potential to become better. This year’s team is deeper as we dropped off a cliff after the first sub on the prior team.

Reactions: Fun coupon VOL
I hope they drop a spot or two after struggling with winless SC Upstate. Keep them focused on the prizes.
I understand the sentiment, but the fact that we are calling a 20-pt win that was cushioned by some incredible makes from 3 by Upstate (some VERY well defended or 5 feet beyond the line) a struggle, is a testament to this team's ceiling. We still held them to 60 points despite those incredible makes from deep.

No one voting in those polls is looking at a 20-pt win and thinking we deserve to drop. They just won't pay that much attention to anything but the outcome.

Last edited:
Wouldn't crown them best of TN until they at least emerge from Mizzou with a W. First road game against a ranked team that plays tough defense and has already beaten Witchy and a ranked Ill.
I'll be VERY impressed if they win this one. (Not that I'm not already impressed with them.)

I understand the sentiment, but the fact that we are calling a 20-pt win that was cushioned by some incredible makes from 3 by Upstate (some VERY well defended or 5 feet beyond the line) a struggle, is a testament to this team's ceiling. We still held them to 60 points despite those incredible makes from deep.

No one voting in those polls is looking at a 20-pt win and thinking we deserve to drop. They just won't pay that much attention to anything but the outcome.
This team reminded me of that one guard from Colgate we played in the tournament two years ago. He kept throwing up prayers and would not miss. Just one of those nights.

Definitely think we will end up top 10, top 5 is very possible. We’re a ways away from being able to compete with Gonzaga though. They look like one of the best NCAAB teams of the past 10 years. It’s insane what they’re doing.

Reactions: BUBear
We should schedule Texas lol
Actually, Barnes should schedule the entire old BIG XII South each season (Baylor, Oklahoma, Okie Lite, Texas and Texas Tech...A&M is an SEC game and an easy win). Throw Jamie Dixon and TCU in too for a easy P5 win.

I think Tennessee is Top 5, but Missouri will not end up Top 25.
Would normally agree, but I wouldn’t bet on Mizzu not finishing as a top 25 team this year. They’ve been very solid on offense so far, for a Cuonzo squad.
And not to pick knits, but I’m not sure Tennessee is or will finish top 5. The great thing is this team doesn’t need a top 2-3 seed to be dangerous and have a good chance for a run in the tournament. Just keep getting better and peak at the right time

They definitely have the potential to be but not sure I’d put them quite there yet. That team had some intangibles which we’ve yet to see from this one. This team hasn’t had any adversity yet. That team had an incredible grit and determination to win. Emotional leaders like Admiral and Grant. Fulk has shown that same determination, but we’ll see how the chemistry of this team evolves.
Golfballs, there you go, bringing a mature perspective to this whole fandom thing! :cool:

Would normally agree, but I wouldn’t bet on Mizzu not finishing as a top 25 team this year. They’ve been very solid on offense so far, for a Cuonzo squad.
And not to pick knits, but I’m not sure Tennessee is or will finish top 5. The great thing is this team doesn’t need a top 2-3 seed to be dangerous and have a good chance for a run in the tournament. Just keep getting better and peak at the right time
I think Missouri will be an NIT team most likely this season.-

Agreed. That team also had inside/outside scoring and go to players.

This team does have more depth, more length, and more overall speed. All the things that hampered the great run from 2 years ago.

VN Store

Back