Vols BBall team might surprise you this season.

I'm going to wait awhile before declaring anything. Ga Tech was picked at the bottom of their conference like UT was. Now the ACC is better than the SEC so Tech would probably be picked higher if they were in the SEC, but Tech is not picked to do much this year. The positives is that we were still in the game with Punter and Moore not having their best night. Moore was 5-20 and Punter was 4-11 and cramping. We also were 9-17 from the FT line. That's atrocious. Hit a few more of those and UT wins.

Reactions: 1 person
I love how hard we competed and how our rebounding and defense made significant improvement from game 1.

We were good X/Os away from getting a solid road win

Nothing is exciting about it.

I have no issues with the fast pace style but when it slows down there needs to be a plan. There wasn't one tonight except 1 on 1 wild drives that led to TOs and bad shots

Loved the pace, but prolly should've slowed it down after the lead. Yeah, we got out of control and couldn't finish, but we'll get better...feel it in my bones...:)

GO VOLS!

And was better than the team we saw tonight

That's the point.

This talk about improvement and last years team would have lost by 25 is plain ignorant

So theoretically of last years team could play itself with both coaches and styles who would win? I think with Barnes and this style of play blow out Tyndall's turtles. Even though it's the same players.

If this team, which is pretty much the same players, had J Rich they would make the tourney.

I'm going to wait awhile before declaring anything. Ga Tech was picked at the bottom of their conference like UT was. Now the ACC is better than the SEC so Tech would probably be picked higher if they were in the SEC, but Tech is not picked to do much this year. The positives is that we were still in the game with Punter and Moore not having their best night. Moore was 5-20 and Punter was 4-11 and cramping. We also were 9-17 from the FT line. That's atrocious. Hit a few more of those and UT wins.

Like I said in the NCAA forum, our o will average at least 10 more ppg than last year. Tyndalll couldn't coach. The same players from last year but we lost J Rich. The offense still will score way more. They already look a million times better than last year.

So theoretically of last years team could play itself with both coaches and styles who would win? I think with Barnes and this style of play blow out Tyndall's turtles. Even though it's the same players.

If this team, which is pretty much the same players, had J Rich they would make the tourney.

Since you are the main one proclaiming how much improved this team is on offense let's look at the numbers.

Last years team scored exactly 1pt per Touch

This years team scores under that .95 a DECLINE of 3.5 PTs per game when comparing apples to apples of both teams playing the same pace.

Before you tell me well richardson is gone. The big 3 of punter, moore, and Richardson averaged 36.6 PTs per game last year while the big 3 with hubbs replacing richardson this year is averaging 50pts. Way way way more than that 3.5pt deficit from last year

Now it's WAY TO SOON to take these stats as gospel but it's also as equally too soon to say this offense is improved when in fact the numbers show so far it is actually worse.

Let's wait and revisit these numbers half way thru the season and it's worth discussing what is better but right now it's ignorant basketball IQ to see more PTs and say our offense is better

Like I said in the NCAA forum, our o will average at least 10 more ppg than last year. Tyndalll couldn't coach. The same players from last year but we lost J Rich. The offense still will score way more. They already look a million times better than last year.

Serious Short sightedness to only look at points scored when discussing this. Actually shows a low basktball IQ. I expected more from you

it fathoms me that I'm already seeing people saying "fire Barnes" I expected this ut team to be awful this year but we just went wire to wire with a decent Georgia tech team that had some crazy number of graduate transfers I think it was 4. Rick Barnes has this team playing hard and unfortunately we couldn't get shots to drop tonight and we only lost by 2. Keep your heads up volnation Rick Barnes will do a heck of a job on rocky top!!! Give him time.

Turn your Sarcasm Meter back on. It must have timed out somewhere along the way.

Offense and defense both looked better in the second half, we had taken control of the game it appeared and around that same time Punter starts suffering cramps. He did attempt to come back in and play twice, once he had to exit the game again, and the second time he remained in but clearly was struggling to even walk. It's no coincidence that during that final 10 minutes we looked like a much different team offensively and struggled to get very many points. This team already doesn't have a point guard, but take away arguably your best scorer and also the guy acting as a point guard and you're gonna notice a difference. Remove Richardson from last years squad and I'm guessing you're gonna see that offense look even worse as well.

I don't think the coaches suddenly forgot how to coach, for the first 30 minutes of that game we got good looks, our scored a much bigger team in the paint, and scored at a pretty efficient level. You can call it bad coaching if you want, but the evidence suggests to me it was more about Punter being injured the final 10-12 minutes than it was about X's and O's. With that being said, they have to figure a way out to get these cramps solved, Punter and Moore have to play 35+ minutes a night against good teams for us to have a chance, they can't continue to be missing minutes in the second half.

BTO

I went back with dvr to check when punter went out but I might have missed the first time I didn't realize there was two different times.

Did he come out before the 9min mark from the cramps? (I know he was in the very important 9-14min segment)

Punter was really bad all game to he honest but after the cramps he was like peyton said about himself on Sunday. Being tough actually hurt his team

Last edited:
One thing this year's basketball team can't do is disappoint me. That's because I'm not expecting much. Rick doesn't have much to work with yet and it looks like it's going to be quite some time before he has the horses to compete with the best of the SEC. We're currently at the bottom of the conference standings and likely to stay in the cellar for quite some time. So, there's really not much to look forward to unless this team has it in it to pull off some surprises. I'm not seeing any evidence of that right now.

Offense and defense both looked better in the second half, we had taken control of the game it appeared and around that same time Punter starts suffering cramps. He did attempt to come back in and play twice, once he had to exit the game again, and the second time he remained in but clearly was struggling to even walk. It's no coincidence that during that final 10 minutes we looked like a much different team offensively and struggled to get very many points. This team already doesn't have a point guard, but take away arguably your best scorer and also the guy acting as a point guard and you're gonna notice a difference. Remove Richardson from last years squad and I'm guessing you're gonna see that offense look even worse as well.

I don't think the coaches suddenly forgot how to coach, for the first 30 minutes of that game we got good looks, our scored a much bigger team in the paint, and scored at a pretty efficient level. You can call it bad coaching if you want, but the evidence suggests to me it was more about Punter being injured the final 10-12 minutes than it was about X's and O's. With that being said, they have to figure a way out to get these cramps solved, Punter and Moore have to play 35+ minutes a night against good teams for us to have a chance, they can't continue to be missing minutes in the second half.
it's evident neither Punter or Moore will be able to play 30+ much less 35+ in an uptempo scheme.
There are ways to manage a player's time so that they have at least serviceable legs in the last 10 of a game.
Coaches and staff need to find the solution, soon.

Boy, that beginnning pace was fast. I like it. I don't like the turnovers but those will subside as we get used to making decisions at that pace. I will hit the points I have seen most as I skim through this thread. We will need to develop a couple more guys on the bench to get 5-8 more minutes out of our bench if we are to keep this pace up. I like the dribble attacking mindset. With the new no hand check rule, it puts you on the line more. First road game, hectic pace, equals missed FTs. The guys that missed them aren't automatic but we need to get to at least 70% as a team to finish in the top 8 of the SEC. Those of you that say there was no offense being run in the 2nd half when the game slowed down may be looking at offense in different terms than this team. Offense to this team will be push with the dribble and the pass to the rim or open wings, then look for a pick n roll motion. There were actually a couple of pick n roll actions that they used last night that I thought were top shelf quality but sometimes when you don't put the ball in the hole the play looks like the problem. This team can shoot it well enough to give people problems this year but they have to be able to develop a rhythm within the pace. Reece has to develop a specialty. My opinion is he needs to take 200 3's from the top of the key everyday and make that the one shot we can depend on him taking. I understand he is taking a knife to a gun fight in the paint and he plays hard but he needs another way to help us. That would also allow him to play with McGhee and put some sort of size on the floor. McGhee is playing hard as heck for that starting spot. I like Punter, Hubbs, Moore, Reese, McGhee to start then you have two guards and a post that can come off the bench and still have the flexibility to move Moore/Reese around. We all have to understand that Punter and Moore will have to force somethings offensively until Baulkman starts hitting 3 threes per game and we find another ball handler. I know it is tough to watch but it will work. Mostella is a tough nut to crack. he should flouish in the fast pace but sometimes he looks like he is having to think way too much. He is fast, fearless in the paint and has a stroke but until he can keep someone in front of him on the perimeter he will never be able to play long enough to truly grow. I hated that I couldn't make it work to go to that game but hope to see them at Auburn on Jan 2. Go Big Orange!

Reactions: 2 people
Since you are the main one proclaiming how much improved this team is on offense let's look at the numbers.

Last years team scored exactly 1pt per Touch

This years team scores under that .95 a DECLINE of 3.5 PTs per game when comparing apples to apples of both teams playing the same pace.

Before you tell me well richardson is gone. The big 3 of punter, moore, and Richardson averaged 36.6 PTs per game last year while the big 3 with hubbs replacing richardson this year is averaging 50pts. Way way way more than that 3.5pt deficit from last year

Now it's WAY TO SOON to take these stats as gospel but it's also as equally too soon to say this offense is improved when in fact the numbers show so far it is actually worse.

Let's wait and revisit these numbers half way thru the season and it's worth discussing what is better but right now it's ignorant basketball IQ to see more PTs and say our offense is better

It really doesn't matter about points per touch. We will have way more touches this year. If you can't see the o is better idk what to tell you.

We didn't score 70 on a major college team until the 15th game of the season.

It really doesn't matter about points per touch. We will have way more touches this year. If you can't see the o is better idk what to tell you.

K-town

It doesn't matter how many touches??

You are aware that the other team has exactly the same amount of touches we have correct?

Surely you are smart enough to realize that.

K-town

It doesn't matter how many touches??

You are aware that the other team has exactly the same amount of touches we have correct?

Surely you are smart enough to realize that.

We could win by 50 against Duke or lose by 50 to Carson Newman and K-town is going to have the same response: "Donnie Tyndall sucked and his offense was terrible."

And an exhibition team scored 83 on us this year. Which would have been 2nd in points given up all of last year

You see there is a flip side to scoring more points. Shockingly, I guess, the other team gets the ball when we don't have it.

VN Store

Back