Vols Basketball

This is the same ole song and dance. Until we get a recruiter in here nothing and I mean nothing is going to change.

Exactly. You see what Bruce Pearl did with this program because he was a great recruiter. No excuse with the facilities and fan support that we are not one of the top 2-3 programs in the SEC.

wanna see shooting? watch Vandy carve that UT zone on Thursday. Hate to say it.

Sad isn't it? I saw our bracket and thought, wow, with a decent team we might make it to the Semis or Finals. You never know, since they aren't playing at TBA maybe the road team will come out and surprise everybody.

Belmont is not far from being a Butler type team under Brad Stevens if they aren't there already. As to why we don't get any of their players...well just look at the makeup of their roster...those type kids are the ones who get lost in the shuffle now...the type kids who only go to places like Belmont and make them consistent winners...of course Rick Byrd has a lot to do with that as well.

Like Butler? Brad Stephens went to back to back NCAA Championship games. Rick Byrd has done well at Belmont, but we don't have to go that far.

Exactly. You see what Bruce Pearl did with this program because he was a great recruiter. No excuse with the facilities and fan support that we are not one of the top 2-3 programs in the SEC.

And we won't know how Donnie can recruit until he can get past the NCAA. Bruce didn't have to replace his first roster, and he inherited the best 3 point shooter in SEC history and an NBA point guard.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
And we won't know how Donnie can recruit until he can get past the NCAA. Bruce didn't have to replace his first roster, and he inherited the best 3 point shooter in SEC history and an NBA point guard.

Many people have problems with this concept. Pearl inherited Watson, Lofton, and Smith...

Our roster is full of players that belong at ETSU or Belmont. ( Baulkman, Punter, Reese, Owens, Mostella,Carmichael)

Punter? You can't be serious. He averaged 10 PPG here. You act like the guy is a scrub. On top of that, he was second to Josh in steals this year.

Reactions: 4 people

Plus Pearl inherited a slightly better roster than Tyndall at Auburn and they're going to end up losing 20 games.

Silly. Brucie started out with good players. We do not have much right now. We will see in the next two years what we have.

Punter? You can't be serious. He averaged 10 PPG here. You act like the guy is a scrub. On top of that, he was second to Josh in steals this year.

Agree completely Punter is a legitimate SEC player. Then Mostella?? He was committed to play at Pitt(a pretty good basketball school) and he was also recruited by many other elite schools, so no he belongs in a big conference like the SEC. He is a freaking freshman let him grow and gain confidence.

Our roster is full of players that belong at ETSU or Belmont. ( Baulkman, Punter, Reese, Owens, Mostella,Carmichael)

Only one of those players has ever been through a major college offseason and you're already saying they're not sec caliber? Including our best shooter, a double digit scorer, and 3 true freshman who all played under weight. :worship::worship:

That doesn't even cover the fact they played without a true pg.

Only one of those players has ever been through a major college offseason and you're already saying they're not sec caliber? Including our best shooter, a double digit scorer, and 3 true freshman who all played under weight. :worship::worship:

That doesn't even cover the fact they played without a true pg.

Maybe Im being a little hard but to be honest, I don't see any of the players I mentioned making much of an I pact next season. Maybe Mostella, Owens and Carmichael can by their Jr. year. I hope they prove me wrong and show up strong next season.

We were top 3 with the last coach we had but he wasn't good enough for most of the fans. Stop complaining, you ran the guy out who had the third best winning percentage in the SEC. Just saying.

We were top 3 with the last coach we had but he wasn't good enough for most of the fans. Stop complaining, you ran the guy out who had the third best winning percentage in the SEC. Just saying.

All I'm saying about that is, thank god they did.

Reactions: 2 people
Like Butler? Brad Stephens went to back to back NCAA Championship games. Rick Byrd has done well at Belmont, but we don't have to go that far.

You didn't read my entire post...I said NOT FAR from being like Butler...this could be the year.

You didn't read my entire post...I said NOT FAR from being like Butler...this could be the year.

Oh I read it. And they aren't close to Butler. Like I said, Byrd has done well at Belmont, but Stephens had Butler in a different stratosphere. Has Belmont even been to a Sweet 16?

Last coach had 3 NBA caliber players on his roster. Last coach, with the best rebounding team I've seen here in my life time, had to coach in a play-in game to get us to the tournament. Last coach was the worst play drawer I've ever seen out of TO. Tyndall is one of the best I've ever seen for FYI purposes. Last coach wasn't knocking out recruiting either. He wasn't replacing Stokes and McRae with equal talent. Last year's roster was our last coach's best roster as a head coach and we still had to play a extra game just to get to the tournament. Don't try to sugar coat it either, that's what happened.

Anyone with basketball knowledge knew we were in trouble with our last coach. Many of us said play Moore. Go to zone. Run the floor. Push break. Look at Moore now. Thanks Tyndall! Thanks Tyndall for the zone that kept us in games with much lesser talent due to our inept last coach who recruited the likes of "good character people" instead of talent, outside Stokes, Moore, and Josh. Moore shouldn't count as Tyndall has made him the player he is right now by allowing him freedom with the basketball. Our last coach used us as a learning session to better himself, and then pulled the race card. He should thank us for allowing him to bring his hommies here with him who had very little basketball knowledge. At least our last coach learned his lesson and branched out on better assistant coaches when he went west coast.

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Zo, cough, last coach for using UT for your personal agenda because you got your feelings hurt and couldn't hack it here. Thank you Zo for using UT, our university, as a steeping stone for your hommies who weren't qualified to teach most D-II schools...

Last edited:
Pearl did inherit a handful of good players, but he still recruited very well. He landed some big time transfers too in Smith and Prince. He also signed several outstanding classes.

Last coach had 3 NBA caliber players on his roster. Last coach, with the best rebounding team I've seen here in my life time, had to coach in a play-in game to get us to the tournament. Last coach was the worst play drawer I've ever seen out of TO. Tyndall is one of the best I've ever seen for FYI purposes. Last coach wasn't knocking out recruiting either. He wasn't replacing Stokes and McRae with equal talent. Last year's roster was our last coach's best roster as a head coach and we still had to play a extra game just to get to the tournament. Don't try to sugar coat it either, that's what happened.

Anyone with basketball knowledge knew we were in trouble with our last coach. Many of us said play Moore. Go to zone. Run the floor. Push break. Look at Moore now. Thanks Tyndall! Thanks Tyndall for the zone that kept us in games with much lesser talent due to our inept last coach who recruited the likes of "good character people" instead of talent, outside Stokes, Moore, and Josh. Moore shouldn't count as Tyndall has made him the player he is right now by allowing him freedom with the basketball. Our last coach used us as a learning session to better himself, and then pulled the race card. He should thank us for allowing him to bring his hommies here with him who had very little basketball knowledge. At least our last coach learned his lesson and branched out on better assistant coaches when he went west coast.

So, from the bottom of my heart, thank you Zo, cough, last coach for using UT for your personal agenda because you got your feelings hurt and couldn't hack it here. Thank you Zo for using UT, our university, as a steeping stone for your hommies who weren't qualified to teach most D-II schools...

Wow, now that's a rant.
Would agree with most of it, except the race card part.
Zo's biggest reason for leaving was the lack of support for the program by the admin.
I'll go a step further. If this admin would put a 10th of the effort into building a men's basketball program that UK does, we wouldn't be looking at 15-15 right now.
That goes all the way back to when Pearl was fired.

Hubbs and Punter will be very good for us next year, so I think it'll be Moore, Hubbs, and Punter that are the best players for us next year!

That might be good enough to finish in the top half of the OVC but I'm sorry, if that's the best we have we will finish last in the SEC next year. Truth hurts but we better brace ourselves.

That might be good enough to finish in the top half of the OVC but I'm sorry, if that's the best we have we will finish last in the SEC next year. Truth hurts but we better brace ourselves.

Nothing we can do about it. Tyndall is an unreal X and O coach who's hands are tied due to the NCAA. Because of the NCAA we lost a top 100 player for this upcoming class. The NCAA will probably lay it down on Tyndall while Syracuse and UNC get a few smacks on the wrist. Booger picker isn't going to fight for Tyndall and Hart can't really fight for him either since Jimmy the booger picker is his boss, unless he wants to be out a job.

It also didn't help that Zo was an average recruiter at best. Zo is half our issue right now as he recruited 2 solid players since Stokes, Moore and Josh. He also never recruited a true PG (outside maybe Larry Austin???), mainly because he ruined them with his offensive system aka Golden, etc. No true PG = bad basketball. No pure shooters = bad basketball. No post scorers = bad basketball. We just don't have the pieces needed to win consistently, and we can't go obtain those needed pieces right now due to the NCAA. We are stuck. It is what it is. We just have to hope guys like Hubbs and Willie develop this offseason. Would have been nice to have kept Thompson from last year along with Phil Cofer... Again, it is what it is. Zo needed to go, and so did the players who didn't want to be here.

Nothing we can do about it. Tyndall is an unreal X and O coach who's hands are tied due to the NCAA. Because of the NCAA we lost a top 100 player for this upcoming class. The NCAA will probably lay it down on Tyndall while Syracuse and UNC get a few smacks on the wrist. Booger picker isn't going to fight for Tyndall and Hart can't really fight for him either since Jimmy the booger picker is his boss, unless he wants to be out a job.

It also didn't help that Zo was an average recruiter at best. Zo is half our issue right now as he recruited 2 solid players since Stokes, Moore and Josh. He also never recruited a true PG (outside maybe Larry Austin???), mainly because he ruined them with his offensive system aka Golden, etc. No true PG = bad basketball. No pure shooters = bad basketball. No post scorers = bad basketball. We just don't have the pieces needed to win consistently, and we can't go obtain those needed pieces right now due to the NCAA. We are stuck. It is what it is. We just have to hope guys like Hubbs and Willie develop this offseason. Would have been nice to have kept Thompson from last year along with Phil Cofer... Again, it is what it is. Zo needed to go, and so did the players who didn't want to be here.

agreed

VN Store

Back