Vols 10 greatest comeback wins in school history

dduncan4163

Have at it Hoss
Tennessee football: Vols 10 greatest comeback wins in school history

Here's the list for yall that despise slideshows.

10. 2016 No. 11 Tennessee Volunteers at No. 25 Georgia Bulldogs
9. 2001 No. 6 Tennessee Volunteers at Kentucky Wildcats
8. 2016 No. 19 Florida Gators at No. 14 Tennessee Volunteers
7. 2015 No. 19 Georgia Bulldogs at Tennessee Volunteers
6. 2007 Vanderbilt Commodores at No. 19 Tennessee Volunteers
1991 (Sugar Bowl) Virginia Cavaliers vs. No. 10 Tennessee Volunteers
2014 Tennessee Volunteers at South Carolina Gamecocks
1998 No. 10 Arkansas Razorbacks at No. 1 Tennessee Volunteers
2005 No. 10 Tennessee Volunteers at No. 4 LSU Tigers
1991 No. 13 Tennessee Volunteers at No. 5 Notre Dame Fighting Irish

3. Nov. 14, 1998
No. 10 Arkansas Razorbacks at No. 1 Tennessee Volunteers

Final score: Tennessee Vols win 28-24

"This comeback is memorable for many reasons. Tennessee football beat an undefeated team in the top 10 at home in November with this one after reaching No. 1 the week before, they went on to win the national title, and there was an insane play to cause it all.

We’re obviously talking about that Clint Stoerner fumble. But the Arkansas Razorbacks gave a much bigger scare to the Vols in the first half. Stoerner and co. built a 14-0 lead and then later extended it to 21-3.

Heading into the game 8-0, there were questions if they were legit under first year head coach Houston Nutt. With such a lead to validate those questions, there were serious concerns about the Vols being able to come back since Tee Martin was having a rough day. But Martin made it respectable with a first half touchdown to Peerless Price, cutting it to 21-10.

In the second half, Martin scored a touchdown while the Hogs had a field goal to make it 24-17. That wouldn’t make this seem like much of a comeback. But at that point, the offense went completely cold. They got another field goal but could not completely close the gap, despite the defense coming to life and a blocked field goal returned the other way.

A safety on a bad snap during a punt wasn’t even going to be enough, as down 24-22, the Vols were stopped on four downs. So, with under two minutes to go and looking to run out the clock, Arkansas looked to be in the clear. That’s when the fumble happened, as Stoerner tripped over his own offensive lineman on a generic handoff.

Billy Ratliff recovered, the Vols were back in business. With their newfound momentum, they simply turned to Travis Henry. The power back filling in for an injured Jamal Lewis touched the ball every play on the next drive and carried UT into the end zone to get them that first lead of the game. It was a comeback that took forever, but it happened."

I remember every one of these games fondly but the 98 Arkansas game is my favorite Neyland and Vol memory. I'll never forget the stumble fumble. Neyland was a madhouse. Billy Ratliff and Travis Henry became Tennessee folk heros that day.

Last edited:
For me the great thing about the 2016 UGA game is that is the game my kids really got excited about the game. I think we all have that game when we remember, usually with our dads, just going nuts and realizing UT football was special. For me it was the '86 Sugar Bowl when we demolished Miami. My dad was pretty laid back and I remember him jumping up and down, screaming, pumping his fist. It was great and from that moment on I knew Tennessee football mattered. I was 11 years old. My kids were 11, 9, and 7 when we watched that 2016 game together. When Jennings caught that Hail Mary pass we were all dancing around the room like crazy people. I have no doubt that is a memory they will never forget.

3. Nov. 14, 1998

"This comeback is memorable for many reasons. Tennessee football beat an undefeated team in the top 10 at home in November with this one after reaching No. 1 the week before, they went on to win the national title, and there was an insane play to cause it all.

We’re obviously talking about that Clint Stoerner fumble. But the Arkansas Razorbacks gave a much bigger scare to the Vols in the first half. Stoerner and co. built a 14-0 lead and then later extended it to 21-3.

Heading into the game 8-0, there were questions if they were legit under first year head coach Houston Nutt. With such a lead to validate those questions, there were serious concerns about the Vols being able to come back since Tee Martin was having a rough day. But Martin made it respectable with a first half touchdown to Peerless Price, cutting it to 21-10.

In the second half, Martin scored a touchdown while the Hogs had a field goal to make it 24-17. That wouldn’t make this seem like much of a comeback. But at that point, the offense went completely cold. They got another field goal but could not completely close the gap, despite the defense coming to life and a blocked field goal returned the other way.

A safety on a bad snap during a punt wasn’t even going to be enough, as down 24-22, the Vols were stopped on four downs. So, with under two minutes to go and looking to run out the clock, Arkansas looked to be in the clear. That’s when the fumble happened, as Stoerner tripped over his own offensive lineman on a generic handoff.

Billy Ratliff recovered, the Vols were back in business. With their newfound momentum, they simply turned to Travis Henry. The power back filling in for an injured Jamal Lewis touched the ball every play on the next drive and carried UT into the end zone to get them that first lead of the game. It was a comeback that took forever, but it happened."

I remember everyone of these games fondly but the 98 Arkansas game is my favorite Neyland and Vol memory. I'll never forget the stumble fumble. Neyland was a madhouse. Billy Ratliff and Travis Henry became Tennessee folk heros that day.
Don't forget the 1984 Alabama game and the 1973 Duke game;)

Without a doubt the 1991 Notre Dame game is number one. Biggest comeback from a deficit against Notre Dame at their home stadium in school history. Down 31-7 with only seconds to go in the first half and converting that into a 35-34 win.

I watched that game with my Dad and he was convinced we had no shot. Once the dominos started to fall in our direction, there was no way we were going to be denied the victory that day. I am pretty sure the reason Lou Holtz hates UT so much is due to the fact we came back and won that game. I was 8 years old in 1991 but it seems like yesterday.

The comeback win VS Arky in 98 (arguably the best game I have watched live) is number one with the miracle in South Bend being a close second.

Last edited:
For me, the 2005 LSU game will always be #1. Me and my buddy were one of the dozen or so (all jokes aside... of the 92,000ish people who were there I'd be shocked if any more than 500 were UT fans) who made the trip down there for a Monday night game. I'm not sure how many of you guys have been to Baton Rogue, but to be able to witness a comeback like that in that hostile of an environment was an absolutely priceless experience.

I understand their rationale for making many of these selections but, if they are going to include the 2007 Vanderbilt game, they simply must include the 1987 game vs. the Commodes. I believe that, technically, it still holds the distinction of being the largest deficit from which we have come back to win.

Vandy played the most flawless quarter of football that I have ever seen them play against Tennessee and, early in the second quarter, led us, 28-3. That is, until the Big Orange ground game got untracked. We slowly and methodically scored five straight touchdowns to take a 38-28 lead before prevailing by the final margin of 38-36.

IMO, that '98 game against Arkansas has to be #1 on the list. If Tennessee lost that one, adios MNC game for that season.

That game had more impact on the remainder and outcome of the season than any other game on the list.

3. Nov. 14, 1998

I remember every one of these games fondly but the 98 Arkansas game is my favorite Neyland and Vol memory. I'll never forget the stumble fumble. Neyland was a madhouse. Billy Ratliff and Travis Henry became Tennessee folk heros that day.

YouTube "The Greatest Game". It shows the highlights. Billy Ratliff WILLED that to happen. He came off the ball so hard, he knocked the O lineman for Arkansas back in to Stoerner. I think he stepped on Stoerner's foot. It's awesome. It's about 6 minutes long and has cool old school background music, too.

Last edited:
Whole lot of recent stuff on here. Not sure if that's a good thing or not, I'm leaning towards not since several of these the overall season was rough.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
I watched that game with my Dad and he was convinced we had no shot. Once the dominos started to fall in our direction, there was no way we were going to be denied the victory that day. I am pretty sure the reason Lou Holtz hates UT so much is due to the fact we came back and won that game. I was 8 years old in 1991 but it seems like yesterday.

Just think, if Floyd Miley was unable to fly things might have turned out different!

I understand their rationale for making many of these selections but, if they are going to include the 2007 Vanderbilt game, they simply must include the 1987 game vs. the Commodes. I believe that, technically, it still holds the distinction of being the largest deficit from which we have come back to win.

Vandy played the most flawless quarter of football that I have ever seen them play against Tennessee and, early in the second quarter, led us, 28-3. That is, until the Big Orange ground game got untracked. We slowly and methodically scored five straight touchdowns to take a 38-28 lead before prevailing by the final margin of 38-36.

John Ward was on fire in that game. I was at the game itself, so I missed the actual broadcast, but we listened to the recap on the drive home, and we couldn't quit laughing at some of the calls he made.

VN Store

Back