VolNotes:Florida week, vol.II

Seems there is something of a calm before the storm right now. The teams are pretty much laying low, the media is more interested in the boredom bowl up north between the golden domers and the Big Blue.

Saturday at 3:30p on CBS, the SEC season officially blows the doors off the 2007 season.

So let the national media (espn) act like they are talking about the week's important games. I'm sure it is pure coincidence that all of the games that have their attention are to be on ABC/ESPN. Here in SEC country, we know where the storm is brewing.

God I love this time of year...

VolNotes....

TFP:Cut on his boy EA
David Cutcliffe is generally considered to be a straight shooter as well as a quarterback guru.
If those are both accurate statements, Vols senior Erik Ainge must be pretty good.
“He’s playing really, really well,” Cutcliffe said Tuesday. “He’s playing like a big-time player there. From managing protections to throwing the ball to making decisions to timing.
“He’s playing, in my opinion, as good as anybody out there, period.”

Cutcliffe said Ainge’s mechanics and fundamentals “are so much better” than they were during his junior-season re-emergence.
“We would not have done nearly as well to this point if he hadn’t played as well as he has,” Cutcliffe said.

And our punter?
Britton Colquitt said he expected to play Saturday at Florida.
“I feel almost 100 percent,” Colquitt said. “I feel like I’m going to be 100 percent for Florida. Every day, I can tell a big difference in how I feel. I feel really good this week. There’s a little soreness, but not pain. It’s rehab soreness and bruising.”

Colquitt said he hoped to kick off this week, but that punting remained the priority.
“(Kicking off) is kind of scary, because that’s how I did it, but I’m not going to go out there thinking about that,” he said. “I have to make sure it’s loose enough and warm enough where I’m not going go out there and just swing away.
“If I could do it this week, I’d love to do it. I just don’t know. I haven’t been able to try.”

Brent Vinson is now listed on the Vols’ offensive and defensive depth charts.
Coaches still feel the 6-foot-2 speedster could have a bright future at receiver, but Fulmer said senior cornerback Antonio Gaines’ torn ACL put the secondary in a “precarious” situation.
Most recruiting services had Vinson as one of the nation’s highest-rated incoming receiver recruits.
Although he is one of the team’s best athletes, his difficulties in learning the offense have him buried at third team on the depth chart. He and fellow freshman Art Evans are listed second on the depth chart behind freshman Eric Berry at left cornerback.

TFP: Q&A Austin Rogers
Q: What's the most hurtful thing you've ever read or heard about yourself?
A: "Probably that I'm a white guy who couldn't make plays in college. I'm too slow and I wouldn't be able to make big plays. I heard some tough criticism, but it's all motivation in the end."

Q: Has anyone ever blatantly underestimated your speed in a game?
A: "A couple of times. My true freshman year, I lined up against Vanderbilt playing gunner on the punt team. Two guys came to double-team me and I split them down the middle and made the tackle. When they were coming to block me, you could tell they were like, 'He's a white guy; he's got nothing.' I took them by surprise."

Q: What was your "Welcome to college football" moment?
A: "Two-a-days my freshman year. I came across the middle to catch a pass and it was either Kevin Simon or Omar Gaither who just laid me out. I was on the ground like, 'Well, this is college football.' "

Q: You spent a lot of time with Erik Ainge over the summer. What's he like?
A: "He's kind of weird sometimes because he's from Oregon. You can't blame him -- he's from Oregon so he can't help it. Erik's got a great girlfriend and he's a nice guy, but those West Coast guys are a lot different than us Tennessee boys."

Q: Is this a good time to get the Gators, before their defense gains experience?
A: "Yeah, I think so. They're young, but they're still athletic so I think they'll still press us up on the line and make the receivers make plays. We've made plays this year, but not the huge plays. We haven't proven ourselves. They're going to make us do that."

Q: Who's the funniest person on the team?
A: "Has to be Arian Foster. He's a real comedian, or at least he tries to be. He's always running his mouth trying to make people laugh."

Q: Who's the best defensive back you've gone up against?
A: "Reggie Nelson at Florida (who left for the pros this year). You think about guys who are physical and fast. That's Reggie Nelson and LaRon Landry."

TNsean:More on EA Sports
Phillip Fulmer said Ainge has as much command of the offense right now as any UT quarterback since Peyton Manning.

One of the positives for UT is Ainge will enter the game as one of the nation's most precise and mistake-free quarterbacks. He hasn't thrown an interception this season (83 pass attempts), is completing 66.3 percent of his passes, and has thrown to 11 different players.

We would not have done near as well to this point if he hadn't played as well as he has," Cutcliffe said.

Ainge said the turning point came last season when the Vols' lost to Florida at Neyland Stadium. Trailing 21-20 late in the game, UT faced a fourth-and-16. Ainge forced a pass to receiver Robert Meachem, but the ball was picked off, sealing the Florida victory.
Ainge admitted Tuesday that receiver Lucas Taylor was open, and while a 10-yard pass completion wouldn't have made a first down, it would have put UT within field-goal range.
"That was the point when I really realized what Coach Cutcliffe has been saying: 'Lay it off, you don't have to throw it past the sticks, let the guys make plays,' " Ainge said. "That's the way I look at it. One play to get five, 10 yards, and having that mental approach is kind of what I've taken from that game to now."

"He's giving our guys a chance to make some plays," UT receivers Coach Trooper Taylor said. "He's not taking sacks. He's getting rid of the football and playing smart. Right now, (the coaching staff) is at the point that we can just give him a signal, and he can control the rest of it."

GVX: X-Man..."Bring It"
Xavier Mitchell shared his mindset with the media on Tuesday as he prepares to defend against Florida quarterback Tim Tebow, who is well known for his physical running style.
"Bring it," UT's senior defensive end said. "That's what goes through my mind. I think that's everybody's mindset."

"He wants to run the ball and that's fine with me," Mitchell said of Tebow. "We thrive on hitting quarterbacks. If he wants to lower his shoulder, we'll lower ours too and bring the hat."
Mitchell said Tebow might have surprised some defenders last year when he attacked defenders instead of protecting himself.
"We know he's not going to slide," Mitchell said, "so that won't be an issue."

Montario Hardesty said he hopes his ankle is 100 percent by Saturday.
"It's improved a lot from California to Southern Miss," the sophomore said. "Hopefully, it'll improve that much this week and I'll be good to go."

Despite public opinion to the contrary, Taylor said UT hasn't relied solely on short and intermediate routes. Taylor said the Vols have thrown the ball deep (i.e. 20 or more yards) six more times this season than they did at this point last season.

Dan Brooks said he expects junior Demonte' Bolden and sophomore Dan Williams will retain their starting spots, although Brooks wouldn't guarantee it.
"There's going to be competition every week all season, I think, with this group," Brooks said.

Anthony Parker said he's plenty willing to turn over some snaps to UT's second-string interior linemen, as the Vols did last week.
"It definitely helps, being able to rotate guys and give guys a break," Parker said.

Some eyebrows were raised when UT's depth chart was released. Former Fulton star Dennis Rogan was listed above highly touted junior college prospect Nevin McKenzie at safety. Fulmer said the two were even and he expected McKenzie to be the nickel back. As for Rogan, he figures to be a factor in UT's secondary soon.
"Dennis is a really fine athlete with a lot of speed," Fulmer said. "We're trying to get him on the field."

Yes, there is a storm a brewing friends. I love watching a good storm...bring it.

Go Vols!!!

Interesting quotes on Ainge. I have to agree that he has certainly played pretty well to this point. SEC play has been a mighty struggle for him recently. I hope the O finds a way to stay on track. Now, lets plug some of the defensive holes.

This is a good thing:
QUOTE FROM AUSTIN ROGERS:
We've made plays this year, but not the huge plays. We haven't proven ourselves. They're going to make us do that

STatistically, Rogers and Taylor are having good years...but they havent proven themselves....yet.

Q: You spent a lot of time with Erik Ainge over the summer. What's he like?
A: "He's kind of weird sometimes because he's from Oregon. You can't blame him -- he's from Oregon so he can't help it....

You'd think Austin was talkin' 'bout Milo....:p

it's friday for me.....to bad tomorrow isn't really Saturday!!

Very good informative: thanks from those of us away ffrom Vol Central (K-ville). All we hear about is Urban-ball down here. Seems there is something of a calm before the storm right now. The teams are pretty much laying low,

Brent Vinson is now listed on the Vols’ offensive and defensive depth charts.
Coaches still feel the 6-foot-2 speedster could have a bright future at receiver, but Fulmer said senior cornerback Antonio Gaines’ torn ACL put the secondary in a “precarious” situation.
Most recruiting services had Vinson as one of the nation’s highest-rated incoming receiver recruits.

I welcome Vinson to step over to defense. wasn't a recruited and signed 'athlete'. PLsyed both ways in high school. Has blazing 4.6 speed, great hands and surprizingly not getting the offensive scheme. He is bright as a light bulb, with 3.7 GPA. He will come around, his raw talent will get him on the field more and more as the season unfolds. He is such a good athlete playing on defense will be a good fit for him. With a deep WR corps (deep as in options, not necessarily talent), Brent needs to get on the field and would certainly be a good fit at CB as would Eric be a better fit at SS or Roving Safety. It remains to be seen. I think we need Vinson at CB to keep Berry at SS than to place Berry at CB and leave Parrish:no: at SS.

As always, thanks for the low down OWH!! You are making me way too optimistic about this weekend.

Ainge is playing out of his mind right now. Let's hope everyone else matches his focus and intensity. We've got this!

GOOOOOO VOLS!! :rock:

Florida's defense will not stop Ainge. Their LB's are capable of stopping our run, but their camp admits their DT's will have a difficult time wiht our OL. Be encouraged! It always seems Ainge plays better in the bigger games, he is a kool kat! I keep looing for a weakness in the guy and he keeps performing. He needs to keep his no interception streak going this week. One mistake in gatorville can cost you BIG!
We can do this!!! I've gotta a feelin' !

once again thank you owh. I'm becoming quite the fan of Ainge, and I bought one of those "ainge you glad we got clausen" shirts a few years ago after the LSU game. He's quite the passer.

VN Store

Back