Volleyball tonight @ TBA vs Illinois

Lady Vols take the first 2 sets....2 0 both very close sets. Illinois up late in the 3rd set 21 19.

Rowe is, by far, Tennessee’s strongest hitter and blocker tonight.

On the other hand, Tessa Grubbs looks tentative and isn’t having a great match. Overall, I love this team’s hustle!

Reactions: StrangeVol
Wow, what a great match! Very exciting, many long hard fought points, and many (I lost count), match points. Shame we lost, but they’re playing again Sunday in Illinois? Looks like it’s going to be an exciting season! GO LADY VOLS!
Almost forgot, we had a great crowd there, too!

Last edited:
That was a bitter pill to swallow after the promising play of the first two sets and with the tremendous and vocal crowd on hand. The difference, I feel like, was Illinois’ poise and big-game experience. Their volleyball conference is similar to our SEC football conference. Albeit a heartbreaking loss, it can prove positive over the long haul, especially if Grubbs can stay healthy.

Sadly, I didn’t realize that Callie Williams had left the team and joined Baylor. I liked her spirit and grit, but I guess Baylor is closer to home and the setter position was becoming crowded. Go Lady Vols.

Wow! What a match! What a crowd! Terrible outcome. :(

Our girls played about as hard as you can play and I honestly thought we were going to sweep them, and I also think we probably should have. We let them off the hook in the 3rd set when it seemed like our concentration wavered and Illinois adjusted by setting to a second hitter who delivered. We did not adapt, sadly.

On the bright side, we played some great floor defense and occasionally our blockers made their presence felt. The crowd was great! It was clear to me that the Illinois girls knew they'd been in a match. There are lots of opportunities to get better and we're pretty darn good right now!

Let's get even on Sunday! :)

The most amazing thing is the fact that both teams could play such a high-level match right here at the very beginning of the season. It didn’t have that first-game feel at all.

Wow! What a match! What a crowd! Terrible outcome. :(

Our girls played about as hard as you can play and I honestly thought we were going to sweep them, and I also think we probably should have. We let them off the hook in the 3rd set when it seemed like our concentration wavered and Illinois adjusted by setting to a second hitter who delivered. We did not adapt, sadly.

On the bright side, we played some great floor defense and occasionally our blockers made their presence felt. The crowd was great! It was clear to me that the Illinois girls knew they'd been in a match. There are lots of opportunities to get better and we're pretty darn good right now!

Let's get even on Sunday! :)

Do you know how many were there? Can you get good seats? We’ve not been in years...our daughter and friend were “towel girls/floor moppers”😃. Seriously, when we were there NO one was coming as fans. Planning to attend some games this year, know nothing about the sport so I hope we sit in a group that does. Second hitter? Defense? Blockers’ presence felt? Maybe I’ll learn! GLV!🏐🍊🧡

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
The most amazing thing is the fact that both teams could play such a high-level match right here at the very beginning of the season. It didn’t have that first-game feel at all.

Absolutely true! It says a lot about both teams but in all honesty, it probably speaks more of how good Illinois is already given they didn't (as far as I know) have a "preseason" trip to Europe and all the extra practice time. We did hang right with them 'til the end and it shows that our young ladies have no quit in them.

The other thing that was clear to all is that Illinois is no joke! If they are 5th in their league, good lord how good must the four teams above them be? We may not be on a par with the Big 10 in Volleyball, but we're not very far behind and as this match showed we are closing the gap quickly. I think it is very important that we play our best on Sunday. We may not win, but we must make it hard on them.

I have to give props to Jacqueline Quade (she is an All American for a reason) and both Megan Cooney and Ashlyn Fleming, the latter two came through in a major way in sets 3 through 5. Ms Quade is also VERY easy on the eyes. :)

Do you know how many were there? Can you get good seats? We’ve not been in years...our daughter and friend were “towel girls/floor moppers”😃. Seriously, when we were there NO one was coming as fans. Planning to attend some games this year, know nothing about the sport so I hope we sit in a group that does. Second hitter? Defense? Blockers’ presence felt? Maybe I’ll learn! GLV!🏐🍊🧡

First, there were around 3300 fans in attendance last night. A great crowd! Good seats are plentiful, it's TBA in which there are few bad seats. The term I used "Second Hitter" is not a volleyball term most knowledgable fans would recognize and is just my attempt to describe Illinois' change in attack strategy of involving hitters other than Quade to make it harder for our blockers to track Quade. As to "blocker's presence felt" it's my way of saying our blockers were well positioned and making it difficult on the other side at least some of the time. At other times I thought we didn't offer much resistance at the net.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
This match was lost in the third set, toward the end........LVs up a few points, made a nice block and got cocky....LVs server then served it deep out of bounds, and that was about it.....That is when their concentration faltered....LVs never got it back.

To be a top team, the other team is never out of it until the match is won. Our girls forgot that.

First, there were around 3300 fans in attendance last night. A great crowd! Good seats are plentiful, it's TBA in which there are few bad seats. The term I used "Second Hitter" is not a volleyball term most knowledgable fans would recognize and is just my attempt to describe Illinois' change in attack strategy of involving hitters other than Quade to make it harder for our blockers to track Quade. As to "blocker's presence felt" it's my way of saying our blockers were well positioned and making it difficult on the other side at least some of the time. At other times I thought we didn't offer much resistance at the net.
Who is the black girl that sends the ball over the net like a rocket? A couple of times she left us agape. Seemed very intense too. The first time I saw her hit one of those! Wouldn’t have wanted to be on the receiving end.

Who is the black girl that sends the ball over the net like a rocket? A couple of times she left us agape. Seemed very intense too. The first time I saw her hit one of those! Wouldn’t have wanted to be on the receiving end.

You may be thinking of #2 Alyssa Andreno, #16 Addisyn Rowe, or #21 Danielle Mahaffey. Each of these girls takes very hard swings. Rowe and Andreno are about as intense as it gets without going under the net and attacking the other team. Either of them could be who you're thinking about. :)

Last edited:
You may be thinking of #2 Alyssa Andreno, #16 Addisyn Rowe, or #21 Danielle Mahaffey. Each of these girls takes very hard swings. Rowe and Andreno are about as intense as it gets without going under the net and attacking the other team. Either of them could be who you're thinking about. :)
I could not decide who she was because all three of our young ladies are hammers!! If our Lilly was 2 inches taller she would be an AA like Quade!

Pretty sure the poster is referring to Andreno. I was commenting last night that her intensity reminded me of Kara Lawson, and that’s a high compliment at my house. But Rowe shows a lot of intensity, too. It’ll be a good year for Lady Vol volleyball, and a GREAT year if the passing and setting improves over time.

VN Store

Back