Volcabulary Questions: What does Coach Heupel mean by... ?

BruisedOrange

Well... known member
Below are some words Coach Heupel used in his post-Spring Practice press conference. What do the players understand these words to mean?

FITS
Of a safety, Heupel said "...he’s physical and great at making plays in open space when we’ve had scrimmage days. He’s been great in his fits. I like his growth. "

Of offensive linemen, he said, "I think alignment is one thing, but then also your fits off of that is something that we have to continue to grow in."

CUT-UPS
Of a qb, Heupel said "We’ll lift when we get done with our spring ball next week. He has a chance to go back through spring cut-ups and really evaluate himself and how we operate and function."

Of the wide receivers, he said "They need to get on the back end of spring ball, revisit the installs, revisit the cut ups, grow in their strength here as we go through the summer,"

SIGN
On what he wanted to see at practice today, Heupel said, "You see guys align, sign and play ball and make plays."

PRESSING
Of the running backs [not defensive backs] he said "...without looking at the video, probably had their best day as far as pressing line of scrimmage, hitting holes, playing with really good pad level at the end of the runs, finding a way to get plus two."

-------
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable explanations (but maybe not so much for blind guesses and bad puns).

Feel free to use this thread to post your own questions about jargon. I think informed fans always get more from the game. Heck, by fall, we might become so edumacated, we'll be throwing Grey Poupon.

I thought you were going to reference how he tends to not speak in complete sentences. That annoyed me at first because sometimes when they talk like they didn’t graduate the 6th grade they really are total idiots. But heupel is a really intelligent guy. And he’s already proven to be an amazing coach and the exact guy we needed imo. Maybe I’m jumping the gun a bit but I don’t think so. I guess I said all that to say he can use whatever slang he wants because we know he’s a hell of a coach

Last edited:
My guess that sign means that after they line up they gesture (sign) to other players what their responsibility is based on the way the opponent is lined up. "hey I have inside responsibility", etc.
I think you're probably right, but honestly, I've never heard that one.

Sign is what you do when you make a good play; and Fits is what you throw when you don't. Ain't that rite Mrs Mull?
Wampler's farm sausage and a bunch of ooooooold folks on here are the only ones who are gonna get your reference. (I'm only 49, but my parents had the Mulls singing hour on tv every Sunday morning while getting ready for church when I was a kid.)

J. Bazzel and Lady Mull were part of our lives growing up in east TN. It was a Sunday morning tradition to watch the Mull’s Singing Convention while getting ready for church. They were about as famous as the Johnny Majors Show or Bill Dance Outdoors!

Sign is what you do when you make a good play; and Fits is what you throw when you don't. Ain't that rite Mrs Mull?

J. Bazzel and Lady Mull were part of our lives growing up in east TN. It was a Sunday morning tradition to watch the Mull’s Singing Convention while getting ready for church. They were about as famous as the Johnny Majors Show or Bill Dance Outdoors!
File "discussing the Mull's Singing Convention" as a topic I'd never thought we'd discuss on here. Loved watching the Rev and Lady Mull.

Fits, cut-ups, pressing, is way better than shower discipline, Germans seeing the invasion, snap and clear, eye discipline, leadership reps, heart champions, bricks, and he gives us the best chance to win.

Reactions: GenRRN
Nothing is as famous as Bill Dance Outdoors. Still got the hat.

Below are some words Coach Heupel used in his post-Spring Practice press conference. What do the players understand these words to mean?

FITS
Of a safety, Heupel said "...he’s physical and great at making plays in open space when we’ve had scrimmage days. He’s been great in his fits. I like his growth. "

Of offensive linemen, he said, "I think alignment is one thing, but then also your fits off of that is something that we have to continue to grow in."

CUT-UPS
Of a qb, Heupel said "We’ll lift when we get done with our spring ball next week. He has a chance to go back through spring cut-ups and really evaluate himself and how we operate and function."

Of the wide receivers, he said "They need to get on the back end of spring ball, revisit the installs, revisit the cut ups, grow in their strength here as we go through the summer,"

SIGN
On what he wanted to see at practice today, Heupel said, "You see guys align, sign and play ball and make plays."

PRESSING
Of the running backs [not defensive backs] he said "...without looking at the video, probably had their best day as far as pressing line of scrimmage, hitting holes, playing with really good pad level at the end of the runs, finding a way to get plus two."

-------
Thanks in advance for your knowledgeable explanations (but maybe not so much for blind guesses and bad puns).

Feel free to use this thread to post your own questions about jargon. I think informed fans always get more from the game. Heck, by fall, we might become so edumacated, we'll be throwing Grey Poupon.

Defensively a fit is a specific location a player must get when defending the run. For example the linebacker may be taught to fit off the outside leg of the defensive end on a power/counter play if the defensive end is spilling (taking on the block with his inside shoulder to force the ball carrier outside).

Cut-ups are individual plays taken out of order and normally sorted by offensive/defensive play call. For example he may ask an assistant to make a cut-up of inside zone plays vs odd front defenses.

Sign-the signal from the sideline that tells them the play. So he's telling them to line up, look to the sideline to see the play call that is being signed to them, and then play ball.

Pressing-in a zone run scheme you want your running back to attack the line of scrimmage (press the line of scrimmage) before he cuts (commits to a gap). This gives the offensive line more time on their double teams because it forces the linebackers to play slower. If he cuts too soon, the play will not have time to develop (the lineman will have less time on their double and less time to react to the LB).

Reactions: BruisedOrange
I think @Vol8188 did a nice job. Just a couple of possible adds.

A fit may not be a commitment to a particular gap or leverage on a blocker. I think it is more broadly being in position to fill your responsibility which overlaps with someone else's. Last year you saw the star make a lot of plays but there were other guys covering and anticipating cutback lanes. Those guys were in position to react to more than one redirection of the play.

Good description of cut ups. Someone else may help with this but I think it also involves multi-screening different aspects of a play.

Pressing also involves getting defenders to commit to help OL's create lanes. A little like a dribbler using a screen in basketball forcing the defender to either go under the screen or try to climb over it. Either way, it offers an opportunity.

Reactions: Vol8188
Wampler's farm sausage and a bunch of ooooooold folks on here are the only ones who are gonna get your reference. (I'm only 49, but my parents had the Mulls singing hour on tv every Sunday morning while getting ready for church when I was a kid.)
Wamplers Wamplers it’s great sausage
Made right here in Tennessee
Don’t say sausage, just say Wamplers
For the best in quality.

I knew a guy who moved here to Bammer, and was not from the south. He told the coach, "hey coach, let's run that ass hole play again." The coach was like, "what did you say son?" I think he meant Iso play.

VN Store

Back