Vol uniform/helmet design discussion (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're a well spoken 18 year old, so don't take what I'm about to say as upsetting.

Talk to me about tradition when you're old enough to truly grasp what it means. I thought I knew what it meant at your age, but a dictionary definition and experience are two things far apart.

Speaking from experience... I picked apart the band uniforms when I got to UT as a mewling frosh. Ugly blue wool pants, a thick jacket and an ugly orange overlay? And this is supposedly one of the top bands in the country? Now, many years removed, I would give anything to put one on for one more opening of the T. It went from a thing of revulsion and "uncool" to one of my most prideful memories.

I'll tell you what would get me to change my mind, and that's the collected commenting of alumni players. I'd love to see what Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, Heath Schuler, et. al. have to say about it. If they, the men who have worn the uniform, are for it then I might be willing to check my stance. They've earned the right to comment. We're just dots in the stands, blips on a Neilsen computer.

FWIW, the former vols that are on twitter have made comments about wearing something once or twice and are in support of it. These include: Jayson Swain, Stallworth, Jakouri Williams, Cedric Houston, Tee Martin, Leonard Little, etc, etc. Not any huge former vol names in there of the likes of Peyton, Al, and Heath like you mentioned; but former vol players none the less

You're a well spoken 18 year old, so don't take what I'm about to say as upsetting.

Talk to me about tradition when you're old enough to truly grasp what it means. I thought I knew what it meant at your age, but a dictionary definition and experience are two things far apart.

Speaking from experience... I picked apart the band uniforms when I got to UT as a mewling frosh. Ugly blue wool pants, a thick jacket and an ugly orange overlay? And this is supposedly one of the top bands in the country? Now, many years removed, I would give anything to put one on for one more opening of the T. It went from a thing of revulsion and "uncool" to one of my most prideful memories.

I'll tell you what would get me to change my mind, and that's the collected commenting of alumni players. I'd love to see what Peyton Manning, Al Wilson, Heath Schuler, et. al. have to say about it. If they, the men who have worn the uniform, are for it then I might be willing to check my stance. They've earned the right to comment. We're just dots in the stands, blips on a Neilsen computer.

reading this just made my day. I hope that soon, I too can put on one of those uniforms with what the band really wore, Pride. I understand if they wont be comfortable, from what I hear, they are all over 50 years old. Civil War styled unies!

And let me state what i have stated before already. Bands are the only part of any organization that can get away with what they wear. The black on the band is there because it simply looks sharper. Bands aren't supposed to look tacky! My band at high school recently got new unies and they look GREAT. but, they're mostly black and white. However, white IS one of our colors and it blends well with our purple and gold, so it works. Its whatever looks good that counts! in BAND.

I would not mind if CLK brought back the 2002 away uni's(the ones with the thick metallic orange stripe on the side of the jersey and pants). I thought they looked cool but hated the stripe on the pants with the traditional home jersey. I think it would be a good alternative to the all white with very little orange away uni's. Use them and the traditional white jersey/ orange pants uni's.

its not breaking tradition its just changing eras out with the old boring fulmer era in with the new exicting kiffin era and its just for big games anyway and if ur saying the change of something is breaking tradition then i guess when we tried to run the spread this past year i guess we broke tradition thats just the way i look at it

So you're saying for "big" games like Florida, Alabama, Georgia..you want to wear black? For a big game you want to copy everyone else?

Yeah...way to establish your identity....be Team #299384 to wear black.

So you're saying for "big" games like Florida, Alabama, Georgia..you want to wear black? For a big game you want to copy everyone else?

Yeah...way to establish your identity....be Team #299384 to wear black.

I'd bet we wore black before most of those teams...

ihtZt.jpg

Would it really be copying UGA?

g7uCc.jpg

Looks like they copied us.

BTW, I'm just messing around and adding fuel to the fire.

dude those are straight terrible. Even if we go black that would be a nightmare of a jersey. It makes Oregons all yellow jerseys look good.

dude those are straight terrible. Even if we go black that would be a nightmare of a jersey. It makes Oregons all yellow jerseys look good.

I actually played a game of NCAA 10 with the yellow helmet and the yellow pants, w/white jersey. It looked like piss.

But those, those are just in another dimension of awesome.

People should ask Bobby Bowden about the black gimmick. He has tried them twice and he is 0-2. Georgia once 0-1. Looks like they were really excited.

People should ask Bobby Bowden about the black gimmick. He has tried them twice and he is 0-2. Georgia once 0-1. Looks like they were really excited.

One of the few good things about us wearing black would be that we couldn't possibly look any worse than FSU when they do it.

Dude FSU's blacks are ten times better than what ours would be. I love the black unis but I hate the orange and black combo. It makes me think halloween not awesome jersey. FSU and UGA's are sick as much as I hate them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot or out of college.

I just finished my last year and it kills me that I will never open the T again...:cray:

There's something magical about the moment it opens. Even if the rest of Pregame was crap and some idiot missed Chart 2, when that form locks in and the crowd is screaming so hard that you can't hear the sound coming out of your own instrument there is no doubt you're a part of one of the most exciting traditions in all of college football.

reading this just made my day. I hope that soon, I too can put on one of those uniforms with what the band really wore, Pride. I understand if they wont be comfortable, from what I hear, they are all over 50 years old. Civil War styled unies!

The uniforms are regularly retired and repurchased; there are actually not that many old unis left. Great care is taken to put only the best looking ones on field.

Best of luck to you in your quest to join the Pride! Feel free to PM me if you have any audition prep questions.

Dude FSU's blacks are ten times better than what ours would be. I love the black unis but I hate the orange and black combo. It makes me think halloween not awesome jersey. FSU and UGA's are sick as much as I hate them. Anyone who thinks otherwise is an idiot or out of college.

The black goes horribly with their gold helmets. FSU have great colors and should never be messed with, like ours. But I guess I'll just be an idiot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back