Vol gear history

PlanetVolunteer

So I was wasting time watching old vol highlight films from the 60's and it got me thinking about how no one wore orange to the games back then. Even in the 70's it didn't seem like much of a thing.

Got me wondering when did fans start wearing their team colors? It seems like it all just started happening across all sports at around the same time.

Figured some of you oldies might have some interesting input.

The athletic House.3 tv channels. No computers except at Glocker business building,no cell phones.You had to get out,talk to someone,little choice as to game wear.Back in the60's,to get Addidas,Puma shoes or gear,you needed to be on a track team.Nike was just a twinkle in someone's eye.

I remember there was a place in West town mall where you could get a customized UT football jersey made....This was in the mid to late 70's..I can't remember the name of it but I got one made there and wore it to every home game and thought I was the stuff! LOL...It looked so damn nice however by todays standards it was probably pretty drab...But man I loved that jersey....For a little kid who mowed yards for pocket money in the summer I thought it was a pretty big deal anyways.

I remember there was a place in West town mall where you could get a customized UT football jersey made....This was in the mid to late 70's..I can't remember the name of it but I got one made there and wore it to every home game and thought I was the stuff! LOL...It looked so damn nice however by todays standards it was probably pretty drab...But man I loved that jersey....For a little kid who mowed yards for pocket money in the summer I thought it was a pretty big deal anyways.
Things sure have changed.
Remember when this was Smokey?
DCE0965F-87B2-46DD-923E-E33D71EAB23C.jpeg

Things sure have changed.
Remember when this was Smokey?
View attachment 472741

I've never actually seen this (frightening) version of Smokey, but that's very interesting. My mind immediately goes to Wilfred.

Back in the 60's, men wore jackets and ties at UT games...
I would say those with jackets and ties we're in the minority. I went to my first game in '68 and I seem to recall most people wearing jeans or shorts and t-shirts. Most of the t-shirts back then were white with orange letters. Can't remember when they started making the shirts with orange cloth, but I know we had them when I was in school in the late '70s and early '80s.

So I was wasting time watching old vol highlight films from the 60's and it got me thinking about how no one wore orange to the games back then. Even in the 70's it didn't seem like much of a thing.

Got me wondering when did fans start wearing their team colors? It seems like it all just started happening across all sports at around the same time.

Figured some of you oldies might have some interesting input.

My crowd and I wore everything orange and white we could get our hands on, starting in the mid-1970s. Trouble was there wasn’t much to choose from — not many manufacturers. Very few sports-only retailers and nothing online of course. Our biggest get in those days was a pair of white Adidas sneakers with the three orange stripes down the side. That was a big deal and hard to find at first.

Bingo! You pretty much had to have something made then. At the Athletic House.

There was a small amount of stuff made. I remember some student booster club made a BEAT AUBURN tee shirt I bought from a member.. Really cheap material, used for fund raising reasons I am sure. But comparing then to now? Yeah, the competitive nature of sportswear companies has definitely increased the choices.

Reactions: VolPack22
The athletic House.3 tv channels. No computers except at Glocker business building,no cell phones.You had to get out,talk to someone,little choice as to game wear.Back in the60's,to get Addidas,Puma shoes or gear,you needed to be on a track team.Nike was just a twinkle in someone's eye.

had a #5 jersey with my name made at Athletic A in late 70’s early 80’s. It was more like a thick t shirt with longer sleeves that stopped at the elbow. Still have some wine as every one of my 4 kids have worn it through the years. Thanks believe Olchewsky (sp) wore that number when it was made.

Reactions: VolPack22

VN Store

Back