Vol baseball approved for artificial turf in LNS

Has anyone asked the players what they prefer to play on? I imagine they were consulted to some degree....not that they had the deciding decision however I'm sure their opinion was listened to and most have played a fair amount of games at the Perfect Game facility over the last few years.

CTV just wants it bottom line. This way he can practice 40 a week no matter what NCAA says

If it rains it is ready ASAP

This will take some getting used to I suppose. I'm not a fan of playing baseball on turf. How many times have we had base runners slide past the bag because they aren't used to playing on turf. Now I can't make fun of Vandy playing on turf, which blows chunks.

Whatever. Just Win.

guess it was inevitable and I do get the reasons, but...guess, I'm getting too old...:D

GO BIG ORANGE!

This will take some getting used to I suppose. I'm not a fan of playing baseball on turf. How many times have we had base runners slide past the bag because they aren't used to playing on turf. Now I can't make fun of Vandy playing on turf, which blows chunks.

Whatever. Just Win.

As long as they have that anchor down crap, we can make fun of Vandy.

Reactions: RollerVol
Vanderbilt turf took a lot of getting used to, especially with sliding into bases.
Several players on both home and visiting teams have slide several feet past 2nd base and tagged out.

Vanderbilt turf took a lot of getting used to, especially with sliding into bases.
Several players on both home and visiting teams have slide several feet past 2nd base and tagged out.

It was at first, for sure. I believe kids are seeing it so much more they are adjusting. Just off the top of my head I know we played on it at Cincinnati last year for 3 games, at ETSU for one, Vandy every other year, Mizzou every other year, and starting this season, KY every other season. Also played at perfect game this fall in scrimmages. Becoming more common.

As an old guy that loves baseball, I prefer to watch games on grass. But it’s completely understandable why teams would do this.

I’ve never played on artificial turf, but I’m told infielders get a more predictable and consistent hop from the ball.
It’s definitely more consistent but it comes in way faster

i wonder what happens to the folks who maintained the grass field? don't need to mow it, line it, water it etc...

As an old guy that loves baseball, I prefer to watch games on grass. But it’s completely understandable why teams would do this.

I’ve never played on artificial turf, but I’m told infielders get a more predictable and consistent hop from the ball.

I'm normality a baseball traditionalist but the new field turf is amazing. It's really not much faster than a short grass and you get the prettiest perfect hops. It's an infielders dream.

I'm normality a baseball traditionalist but the new field turf is amazing. It's really not much faster than a short grass and you get the prettiest perfect hops. It's an infielders dream.
Got the scoop on this particular turf. It has varying lengths to simulate infield grass/dirt, etc. Also has embedded granules to help cool it down with a quick soaking on hot days. Amazing technology, and a great move for the program

Reactions: sbm362
Honestly, the worst part about the turf is all the black pellets filling up your shoes. 😁

Real turf is best. I imagine some dystopian future where all grass is extinct and there’s nothing but plastic grass. Even on golf courses and in people’s lawns. Because it’s more economical. Then we all suffocate, collapsing, and softly bouncing off the recycled tire lawns. Sad!

Reactions: txbo

VN Store

Back