Vince Dooley discusses UGA/UT schedule change

Says everyone voted on it and for the change. Also could expect eliminating permanent cross-divisional games. Probably why Auburn/UGA is moving before they go to three rotating SEC cross-divisional games each year.

Vince Dooley discusses upcoming schedule changes

I could be misreading, but it looks more like the author brings up that point as a possibility and Dooley agrees that the removal of permanent cross-divisional games could be one possibility, rather than Dooley saying that’s the direction that the conference is preparing to move.

Dooley just seems to mainly be on the “SEC needs to move to 9 conference games” line of thought.

I agree with all of it. The cross division opponents have to logically rotate just to ensure that you play everybody every few years and have schedule parity. Basically the whole issue is whether to preserve UGA/Auburn and TN/Bama.

There was a time when we played Ole Miss, Auburn and Georgia Tech every year and hardly ever played Georgia and Florida. Then the schedule changed and the sun still came up the next day.

I love the traditional cross division permanent games, and Bama for sure is traditionally important. That being said, if you're looking for fairness across the board, a four year, 9 game conference game rotation is one of best solutions I've heard. At the end of the day, Bama's historical run has also throttled any momentum we ever developed, where we're falling on the sword in the name of tradition. The only evenly contested high end SEC matchup, of say the top 8 is UF/LSU, over the past 10 years.

I love the traditional cross division permanent games, and Bama for sure is traditionally important. That being said, if you're looking for fairness across the board, a four year, 9 game conference game rotation is one of best solutions I've heard. At the end of the day, Bama's historical run has also throttled any momentum we ever developed, where we're falling on the sword in the name of tradition. The only evenly contested high end SEC matchup, of say the top 8 is UF/LSU, over the past 10 years.

I'm not interested in fairness, I want the opportunity to stomp bama very year.

During this "historical run", how many times did losing to them keep us from going to Atlanta?

This is loser mentality.

1. Saban won't be at Alabama forever.

2. I want the opportunity to beat Saban coached Alabama every year while he's still there.
This is the problem with advocating for the end of peranent crossover opponents. If you do it in the middle of a losing streak, you get accused of this.

I don't care about who's beating who. It just makes sense to me to rotate everybody.

The idea to eliminate divisions (like we did in basketball) still seems like the best idea to me. 8 games, 3 permanent rivals (ours probably end up being Bama, Kentucky, and Vandy), and then 5 rotating opponents that we play every other year. Works out so that we play every SEC team every 2 years and get a home game versus everyone every 4 years.

In the current ridiculous system, we can go 12 years without a home game against some SEC opponents.

I like the rivalry games BUT it makes zero sense for some teams to have the Bama or LSU every year when some teams have Ole Miss or Arkansas. Some rivals are much easier than others

Reactions: LocoVol
I'm missing something, if conference games are going to expand to 9 you'd play everyone in 3 years, even if you kept the 1 fixed cross-rival. So why is he saying talks of dropping those games to meet the 4 year timeline?

VN Store

Back