Vin Scully

someone else

So Vin Scully, the great iconic sportscaster, passed away at age of 94 yesterday. Here in SoCal, lots of tributes are being aired to him... too many stories to tell. For 67 years, he was the voice of the Dodgers (1950-2016)... longer than any other sportscaster for any one team in any sport in the world.

On the Roger Lodge sports show this afternoon on AM radio, Roger aired an interview he did with Vin Scully 10 or 12 years ago before an Angels-Dodgers game. Vin was talking about what excited him about sports growing up as a young child in NYC... it was the roar of the crowd. And he mentioned that when he was 7 or 8 (born in 1927), he would listen on his radio to college football and hear the roar of the crowd... in the Tennessee-Alabama game...

RIP Vin Scully... you were a great one.

I saw that same interview. That was really cool to hear that.
He did a great baseball movie called For Love of the Game (Kevin Costner) and he played the Yankees Announcer. A classic Scully quote: "Sinski hasn't had a legged double since the Reagan Administration"

Not a fan of LA or NY but Vin was undeniably one of the all time greats. Posted in the HOF at Cooperstown with Bob Gibsons glove and hat from his no hitter are these immortal words by Vin….”he pitched as if he were double parked”…referring to the how fast Bob pitched!

Being a Cardinals fan, it's hard not to mention Jack Buck, but Vin Scully was/is simply the master of that craft.

A funny side note: For years as a child and teen, I admired him and had heard him broadcast countless times, but I had never noticed his name in print. Before finally seeing it, I thought his name was "Vince Cully."

Absolutely Great . RIP. But this is on Vol Football Forum?
It will be OK.. Not often any diehard sportster is good/gentlemanly enough to be recognized across the sport world by friends and enemies alike. One thing that sets these people apart is their always noting any player of any sport that more or less exceeds being just good but great with sincere praise. IE. the above Bob Gibson statement.

My favorite TV broadcaster was Skip Carey, but Vin Scully was amazing on the NBC Saturday Game of the Week. Especially considering he carried Joe Garagiolla. Joe was a good color man, but wasn't always up to date with his knowledge of players.

Reactions: pismonque
It will be OK.. Not often any diehard sportster is good/gentlemanly enough to be recognized across the sport world by friends and enemies alike. One thing that sets these people apart is their always noting any player of any sport that more or less exceeds being just good but great with sincere praise. IE. the above Bob Gibson statement.

Yep I remember Bob Gibson. Speed Freak. Amphetamines were the reason Bob was so fast.

My favorite TV broadcaster was Skip Carey, but Vin Scully was amazing on the NBC Saturday Game of the Week. Especially considering he carried Joe Garagiolla. Joe was a good color man, but wasn't always up to date with his knowledge of players.

Don't be dissing Joe! You'll have all of St. Louis storming your house with torches and pitchforks!!! :)

Absolutely Great . RIP. But this is on Vol Football Forum?

I didn't expect a Los Angeles-based baseball announcer born and reared in NYC to mention that it was college football as a kid that piqued his interest listening on the radio... and then the game he mentioned, the *only* game he explicitly mentioned was Tennessee-Alabama... no mention of Notre Dame, Michigan, Army, Yale, or the other greats of that period. Kinda surprising to hear Tennessee mentioned in that context... a quick reminder of the scope and longevity of the rivalry between Tennessee and Alabama...

When he did NFL games, he pronounced Atlanta as the Faalcuns. As a true Atl fan, I always dissed on him. But an LA fan would really love him. Of course in those early days, Atl got no respect, no respect at all.

From the "Cool story bro" file:

My girlfriend and I had dinner with Vin at John Elway's Steakhouse at the Ritz Carlton in Denver back in 2010. He had come in a day early due to an off day for the Dodgers, and was having dinner alone next to us. I was in town to speak at a conference. I told him I was an ex-pro myself and I just had to come over and introduce myself and shake his hand because he was the best. He could not have been more warm and inviting, pretended like he knew me (he didn't), and asked us to please join him for dinner he would love the company. So we did, and it was two hours of lifetime memories.

God speed Vin. I'll see you down by the river one day.

He will always be associated with baseball and the Dodgers, but one of his top 5 calls was the Montana to Dwight Clark playoff TD to beat Dallas. Can you imagine a broadcasting career that included the Kirk Gibson WS homerun and Don Larsen's WS perfect game? Not a Dodgers fan by any means but Vin Scully was pure class from what I've read and heard and one of, if not the best.

I didn't expect a Los Angeles-based baseball announcer born and reared in NYC to mention that it was college football as a kid that piqued his interest listening on the radio... and then the game he mentioned, the *only* game he explicitly mentioned was Tennessee-Alabama... no mention of Notre Dame, Michigan, Army, Yale, or the other greats of that period. Kinda surprising to hear Tennessee mentioned in that context... a quick reminder of the scope and longevity of the rivalry between Tennessee and Alabama...

Thanks for that. Had no Idea. Scully was definitely one of the Best; neck and neck with Jack Buck Imo.

Another cool fact was that the hated giants named their visiting pressbox in honor of Vin Scully. Even had a plaque commemorating Vin's last regular season game called in 2016. I'm a lifelong Dodger fan and hate the giants like I do gators, but that was pretty classy.

He was truly a great. He had such a unique voice. In the vain of Harry Carey, John Ward, Donnie Most. RIP Sir

Speaking of Donnie. This is still one of the funniest reactions ever. I don't think I hate Florida like Donnie hated Detroit LOL.

Another cool fact was that the hated giants named their visiting pressbox in honor of Vin Scully. Even had a plaque commemorating Vin's last regular season game called in 2016. I'm a lifelong Dodger fan and hate the giants like I do gators, but that was pretty classy.
Yeah, I've been a Dodgers fan since the mid-70s myself, so no love lost for the Giants here. But I was at Oracle Park for the Dodgers game Wednesday night, they day after Vin died, and they did a really nice video tribute to him and moment of silence before the game, and continued to run tribute quotes from various people between innings the whole game. And the crowd showed nothing but respect. So props to all of them for that.

But that's the thing with Vin. Postgame interviews throughout the league on Tuesday had folks talking about him. He was just a solid dude, a solid baseball guy, and just so good at what he did. His friendly voice was in my house nearly every spring and summer evening for many years and I already missed him.

RIP Vin

VN Store

Back