Viewing Games Without Cable or satellite Subscriptions

Understand where you're coming from on this. I would test the ROKU thing before giving up DirecTV. Won't switch to DISH now because they basically lied. Told me originally I could subscribe for 12/mos without being forced to agree to a 24/mo contract. Then when I was proceeding subscribe saw the fine print telling me the opposite. Chat? Yeah. "Oh, no you have to agree to 24/mos to get the discount for 12/mos." BYE.

I have a feeling you arent going to see many SEC games this season --- Deerpark can set you straight about this onine stuff that ist going to happen

I have a feeling you arent going to see many SEC games this season --- Deerpark can set you straight about this onine stuff that ist going to happen

You might be right, despite my now also looking into the Mohu amplified Sky 60 antenna. And foreign streaming of American sports events. Which is why I'm testing avenues of cable cutting now before football season.

im a ROKU watcher....here is my setup (I'm in Austin, TX btw) I watch CBS games easily through HD antenna on the TV - easy enough.....I watch ESPN games on WatchESPN using TWC logins from my buddy that subscribes to TWC....simple enough I just had to ask, they aren't paying extra so it isn't a big deal.....the few games that aren't on TV vipboxus.co as suggested before. I also HDMI from a tablet so that my main laptop is not put at risk.

Reactions: 1 person
im a ROKU watcher....here is my setup (I'm in Austin, TX btw) I watch CBS games easily through HD antenna on the TV - easy enough.....I watch ESPN games on WatchESPN using TWC logins from my buddy that subscribes to TWC....simple enough I just had to ask, they aren't paying extra so it isn't a big deal.....the few games that aren't on TV vipboxus.co as suggested before. I also HDMI from a tablet so that my main laptop is not put at risk.

This is pretty much my setup in east TN as well. I only pay for my home biz internet.
-Roku box with a high capacity USB hard drive plugged in to watch movies and TV series I download using the Roku media player channel to access the drive.
-Login info from a friend's ATT account to watch ESPN and other Roku channels that require it.
-ABC, NBC, CBS & Fox are crystal clear over the air along with using USTVNow occasionally.
-Netflix & Hulu+ because I dvr'd everything anyhow.
- Tablet with HDMI to TV for anything else.

2 sites every cord cutter needs to know about are cokeandpopcorn and tubeoffline for keeping up with broadcast TV series. For VOLS games this season, take the beer to a buddies house or become friends with the right folks and watch a stream at home.

Hope this helps & enjoy the extra cash savings from cutting the cord.

Reactions: 1 person
You guys who posted the recent ROBKU info: THANK YOU.

Here's some stuff I saw while nosing around. Most of you probably already know it but for those who don't:

SEC games will continue to be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU since ESPN is the conference's primary rights holder. In addition, ESPN eyes airing approximately 45 football games annually on the SEC Network when it starts in 2014.
Source: http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/what_does_the_sec_network_mean.html

CBS will still broadcast SEC games??????
Source: SEC on CBS Announces 2014 Football Schedule > SEC > NEWS

The dirty on the SEC Network
Source: FootballScoop's Guide to the SEC Network announcement

FWIW.. I just checked now.. I have ATT uverse internet.. but I DO NOT subscribe to the TV service just yet..(that will probly change when football season starts)

But even without the TV service on my account I can go to watchESPN and do everything... stream current channels or watch the games they are streaming on ESPN3.. or ESPNGO for mobile..

I am guessing that because they provide both internet and cable it just automatically works and ESPN does not have the power to see if u subscribe to the TV service or not when you use your ATT login...

Its working perfectly

(If they are smart this will get fixed before the season starts)

Last edited:
The other issue that you need to consider is that internet providers are now starting to cap the amount of data that you can use in a month. You go over - you pay more. These companies are not going to stand by and allow people to have unlimited internet service for which they can use for alternate ways of viewing TV. It may work now, but trust me on this, it will change. I work in the cable industry and this is a big issue. Personally, I don't have an issue with it. But, they don't ask my opinion.:birgits_giggle:

The other issue that you need to consider is that internet providers are now starting to cap the amount of data that you can use in a month. You go over - you pay more. These companies are not going to stand by and allow people to have unlimited internet service for which they can use for alternate ways of viewing TV. It may work now, but trust me on this, it will change. I work in the cable industry and this is a big issue. Personally, I don't have an issue with it. But, they don't ask my opinion.:birgits_giggle:

It's the nature of capitalism, Pirate. All I can say for now is just like it is a car salesman goal to get as much money out of buyers as possible, it's my goal to save myself from being leeched dry. When the game changes, I'll change strategies. I think someone out there, if not already, will build a box or device that captures broadcasts and resist electronic bullets designed to kill them. At some point leeched people revolt.

For me at the moment, I'm just tired of seeing my monthly payments climb despite being a very loyal customer. But worse, the snide attitudes of their customer service people. If I get de-Vols-ed at home, OK, good excuse to find ways to attend games in person. I do have a sweet arrangement of a free stay at a guesthouse all but in walking distance to the stadium. Free garage parking offered by the city. I just need time to attend more games. I'm certain if forced to, really forced to, I'd find a way to be at more games. Then there's vendors like Stubhub.

I have owned three generations of the Roku, and my biggest problem was setting up a Roksbox server/client to stream my existing media from my home computer and NAS.
I have since that debacle purchased a WD TV Live box, which streams as much as the Roku and can also have a USB ClearChannel tuner to access cable TV over the internet, AND it streams my existing content from my network.

If you're JUST streaming from the internet, the Roku is robust for that application. If you want to do anything with your existing content, I'd advise either a different steamer or a compact HTPC (like a Zotac ZBox).

I too have a WDTV live box and wonder if you could give a little more info on how the usb tuner works with the internet ?

FWIW.. I just checked now.. I have ATT uverse internet.. but I DO NOT subscribe to the TV service just yet..(that will probly change when football season starts)

But even without the TV service on my account I can go to watchESPN and do everything... stream current channels or watch the games they are streaming on ESPN3.. or ESPNGO for mobile..

I am guessing that because they provide both internet and cable it just automatically works and ESPN does not have the power to see if u subscribe to the TV service or not when you use your ATT login...

Its working perfectly

(If they are smart this will get fixed before the season starts)

I think this is up to the provider. As I posted above, I was able to watch in this situation with Cox for years, but last year it stopped working for the good content (even though it accepts my login as valid). It is obviously possible to "tier" access somehow, if the provider wants to.

Looks like you are doing some solid research. I would be very interested in knowing what you decide to do and how it works for you. Can you get a good signal for Network TV with OTA Antenna?

Yes you can get crystal clear OTA HD network, PBS, ABC,NBS,CBS,FOX...... with an OTA Antenna.
It's actually a better picture than you receive via cable as it is unfiltered.

Remember Radio Shack ? Pop in there, spend about $75 dollars and get a outdoor setup with mast. You will be laughing all the way to the bank.

Cut the "cord" three years ago. Had a Roku for years, unless I'm missing something you must provide a cable television access account to view WatchESPN. Oh the app is free on Roku but you still need the account info.

VN Store

Back