Very Telling Stat

CincyLadyVol

"The most telling stat that there is comes from her record over the past few seasons. In her last 52 SEC games, Warlick has lost 22 of them. Pat Summit lost 22 conference games over her final 16 seasons as coach".

This stat comes from a very fair and accurate story by the UT campus newspaper, "The Daily Beacon". Solid article pointing out truths about Holly and her coaching history since she took the helm.

After reading it, no matter how you slice it, Holly just isn't the answer and has had plenty of time, resources and talent to do so. The article puts it out there.

Yes. And the first year that Holly coached, the year she did better than preseason predictions, Pat Summitt was at all the practices, teaching. With Alzheimer's, near term memory is lost first. So, a coach couldn't make halftime adjustments or change defenses after a quarter, ect. But, she had so many years of teaching the game, and knew the game so well, that she could be and was an effective teacher at practices. So I think the team performed better than predicted because Pat Summitt prepared them in practices.

Last edited:
"The most telling stat that there is comes from her record over the past few seasons. In her last 52 SEC games, Warlick has lost 22 of them. Pat Summit lost 22 conference games over her final 16 seasons as coach".

This stat comes from a very fair and accurate story by the UT campus newspaper, "The Daily Beacon". Solid article pointing out truths about Holly and her coaching history since she took the helm.

After reading it, no matter how you slice it, Holly just isn't the answer and has had plenty of time, resources and talent to do so. The article puts it out there.

Times 1000.

Reactions: VolsGrad1989
Whether Holly is the answer or not is a valid discussion. I don’t feel good about the way they are playing but that is my opinion and I am not an expert! But, to compare her with the Legend Pat is a bit unfair as well. There is only one Pat and we were lucky she coached our school for many years!
As challenging as it is, let Holly be judged relative to her mortal peers. In that respect she is underperforming as well, just in my opinion.
Relative to UGa, UK and Mizzou talent levels it appears we just didn’t play up to our talent level! If we had played Baylor, Louisville and UConn maybe a different story?

Stick a fork in her sometime in Feb-Mar timeframe.

Then send her to UCONN, Kentucky, SCAR or some other SEC team to set them back a few years.

Her contract extension last year lowered her buyout considerably yet let her finish strong on last season's recruiting (gave her the appearance of longevity).

Reactions: cutiepie5
The biggest stat that will get the attention of the administration, is a lack of butts in the seats....

When enough people have had enough and stay away, things will change....

The biggest stat that will get the attention of the administration, is a lack of butts in the seats....

When enough people have had enough and stay away, things will change....

Unfortunately that is what it takes at Tennessee.

I was very concerned and I posted it here that team was not ready for the SEC. We struggled against a lot of teams in the non-conference that are not SEC quality. I still believe we will find a way to win 9 to 11 SEC games. That should start with Bama and if for any reason we lose to them again Holly should be gone without question no need for her to continue as coach even to the end of the season.

Women's college basketball has changed since Summit retired and passed. The SEC women's basketball more than other simply because of the SEC Network and the games available. The best girls want to come to this league so the challenge to win is much greater. Notre Dame, UCONN and a hand full of other teams garner talent too but not across the board like the SEC. I am not sure it's fair to compare Holly to Pat, based on that. I see many flaws in Holly's game strategy and that's probably enough for most of your fans...and rightfully so. You can make a Pat argument against anyone with the exception of Geno and it would be somewhat true...I'm just saying. Pat's situation was unique in many ways.

Women's college basketball has changed since Summit retired and passed. The SEC women's basketball more than other simply because of the SEC Network and the games available. The best girls want to come to this league so the challenge to win is much greater. Notre Dame, UCONN and a hand full of other teams garner talent too but not across the board like the SEC. I am not sure it's fair to compare Holly to Pat, based on that. I see many flaws in Holly's game strategy and that's probably enough for most of your fans...and rightfully so. You can make a Pat argument against anyone with the exception of Geno and it would be somewhat true...I'm just saying. Pat's situation was unique in many ways.

I think this is a good response. Another way of looking at the situation. And very true concerning comparing Pat/Holly. I appreciate a perspective I hadn't thought about in this scenario.

Personally, I want the team and program to do better. It is frustrating as a fan to watch some of the things happening on the court. Repeated errors and bad game decisions get old. So one questions why changes and improvements aren't being made, especially with "higher ranked" recruits?

I clearly understand that Holly is not Pat, but don't feel it is a bad thing to expect a little better than what we have seen, especially the last 3 or 4 years.

I also know Holly has a hard act to follow and emotions over Pat's illness/death play a part in fan's frustrations. A beloved coach was taken away far too soon. Many feel criticizing Holly is comparable to criticizing Pat.

Everyone mentions how nice Holly is as a person, but is that reason enough to keep her as head coach?

It is a very complicated situation. How to fix it without hurting Holly (she is, after all, a former Lady Vol herself) and dividing the fanbase is the million dollar question no one seems to have the answer to right now!

Reactions: 1reVOLver

Would you have a way to provide a link to that article ? I would love to read it. Thank you and go LV!

Fulmer seems to not have the guts to do his job as AD. He needs to go into the chancellor's office the board of trustees ...or whomever...be honest. Tell them "I enjoy the big salary....the perks of this job....clapping on the sideline when we win...but as far as the tough aspects of the job...I....I just don't like to fire people. I just can't do it. Holly is my friend...and I can't do it". There's no good reason to keep her. Even if recruiting takes a hit...which it won't....what good does it do to have a top class? Holly can't do anything with it anyway. She's proved that. And losing like she has with this top talent just makes it all the more frustrating and demoralizing. Its obvious Phil doesn't have the guts to do this job. Each day Holly remains as head coach...this once proud program falls just a little further into this chasm of crap....and makes it that much harder to dig out. But Phil is content to hide under his desk and plug his ears and cover his eyes from this tragic disgrace. If he was such a "Vol for Life" he would care enough not to allow this program to continue this free fall into disarray and destruction. Pffft. I don't give two s**ts about Phil's friends and trying to protect them while they continue to destroy this program. This isn't about Phil and his friendships. The fact she is still the HC is proof Phil is NOT doing his job. Even if he's waiting for the end of the season. Why wait? This team is going nowhere and everyone knows it. To delay it is just Phil being weak. Enough is enough.

Last edited:
Stick a fork in her sometime in Feb-Mar timeframe.

Then send her to UCONN, Kentucky, SCAR or some other SEC team to set them back a few years.

Her contract extension last year lowered her buyout considerably yet let her finish strong on last season's recruiting (gave her the appearance of longevity).
Unfortunatley none of those programs would take her …...

VN Store

Back