Very good learning experience for whole team

hatingbamaisawayoflife

very young team with 2 tough games...siena not really.
learning each other and CBP's system.
have a long way to go but have so much potential..
when they learn to consistently make the 2 footers...must have missed another 10 of those tonight.
they are going to be tough.
tough rotation problem for bruce that he is so good at working out but its so early that it hasn't settled in for him.
this team is going to be very good.
played very disciplined team and should learn from that as well.

This team better figure out a way to beat a zone and start playing with some form of intelligence.

they will.
very very young.
this was great for them.
December is going to be fun.
but man .....if this team gels right...March could be AWESOME

We had NO defense and very spotty offense. They'd better learn to not leave even a bench player who has been struggling wide open for 3. That killed us.

Friday was a learning experience. We knew coming in that our defense is currently atrocious. A loss is a loss, no learning experience.

Gonzaga is a very good team. Don't get so down on them.

Negative on the lack of defense. It wasn't our best effort, but we still held our own most of the time. It's tough guarding a team with so many weapons...inside and out and athletic too.

It's December...this team is overachieving already. Give them time and they will continue to do so.

I understand being down a little , but come on vol fans you've got the potential to be really good and advance farther than you've ever been. Think POSITIVE , the seasons early ! :good!:

Pearl's teams categorically struggle (offensively) against zone defenses, but his defenses make up for the offensive ineptitude.

Our team is going to have a hard time beatingany talented zone-defensive team this year.

That's okay -- we're extremely young and we're not going to win as many games as last year.

We'll be fine. Our guys are still young and Gonzaga is a very experienced team. We'll get our revenge on January 7th.

then you would just throw away the tape from tonight?

i mean there's no reason to look at it right?
Nah, not at all. It's just that... losing sucks.

Not that anyone expected to win every game, of course, but you can learn from mistakes/poor play in wins, too.

then you would just throw away the tape from tonight?

i mean there's no reason to look at it right?

Not saying that in the least. Saying we don't need to lose to learn from
in game mistakes.

You saying we can't learn from winning game tapes?

I don't like losing at all, but this game was far from a disaster. We gained great experience and should have plenty of film to watch for the future. Gonzaga turned it into primarily a half-court game, had no trouble with our press, and played a zone D that we just didn't answer -- way too much 1-on-1 ball, which is not what we are designed to do. We also made a great run to get it back within 6 and blew an easy opportunity to cut it to 4, when most of us thought it was over. We didn't lay down, an if we could have capitalized on a couple of key possessions (or if the Zags weren't shooting the lights out of the arena), it could have come down to a last shot.

Tough to watch us lose, but we beat two quality teams in the tourney and held our own against a possible Final Four candidate.

Live and learn, Vols, live and learn. . . .

I don't like losing at all, but this game was far from a disaster. We gained great experience and should have plenty of film to watch for the future. Gonzaga turned it into primarily a half-court game, had no trouble with our press, and played a zone D that we just didn't answer -- way too much 1-on-1 ball, which is not what we are designed to do. We also made a great run to get it back within 6 and blew an easy opportunity to cut it to 4, when most of us thought it was over. We didn't lay down, an if we could have capitalized on a couple of key possessions (or if the Zags weren't shooting the lights out of the arena), it could have come down to a last shot.

Tough to watch us lose, but we beat two quality teams in the tourney and held our own against a possible Final Four candidate.

Live and learn, Vols, live and learn. . . .

I gotta agree. Once this team gels and learns how to play together on defensive, they'll be one hell of a team. They have loads of potential.

This loss is pretty comparable to losing to Texas last year in the Legends Classic. I think the team learned a lot from it and got a lot better from there on. The same will happen this year.

I'm not for the "losing early on is a good thing" either, but you're going to lose sometime...

All in all, i think it was a fairly successful tournament for Tennessee. They got some great experience playing against elite teams. This team will definitely be ready for the SEC.

Gonzaga was hitting on all cylinders tonight. Im not as worried about the offensive end as I am with the defensive end. It seemed at times that people were completely lost on d. Part of that had to do with the incredibly talented and disciplined Gonzaga team, but its something that needs to be worked on. Im glad were playing a hard schedule. The only way to get better is by playing the best opponents out there.

The Zags played very well. It's not the end of the world to drop a mini-tournament championship game this early in the year, especially when you are off, the other team (a solid top-10, and maybe top-5 squad) is playing at the top of their game, and you make a good run to have a chance at the end.

The Zags played very well. It's not the end of the world to drop a mini-tournament championship game this early in the year, especially when you are off, the other team (a solid top-10, and maybe top-5 squad) is playing at the top of their game, and you make a good run to have a chance at the end.

Agreed. The defensive effort and concentration are my concerns, not personnel.

VN Store

Back