Very Clear Matchup Wise Where We Struggle

VOLSBEERS1992

4 losses: Purdue, Kansas, UNC, Miss St.

Edey, Dickerson, Bacot, Tolu Smith all had monster games.

When we have played elite centers, they have absolutely destroyed us. Teams without an elite center we've had little issues with. Going to be interesting throughout the year if we can improve against elite bigs and also going to be an interesting thing to check out when the tournament bracket comes out at the end of the year as far as matchups go.

The fact is that we are short of experienced big men in the post. Aidoo and Awaka are it and then its the freshmen, Estrella and Phillips. Barnes doesn't seem willing to go to them now that he has begun trimming the rotation.

Not inserting Estrella when Aidoo fouled out is an odd decision.
As a future hall of fame coach at a major program not having a monster big on the roster that can actually take over a game is an odd decision as well.
I've mentioned the lack of big ole uglys several times. I'm usually met with something like..relax boomer the game has changed.
Uh huh..

Not inserting Estrella when Aidoo fouled out is an odd decision.
As a future hall of fame coach at a major program not having a monster big on the roster that can actually take over a game is an odd decision as well.
I've mentioned the lack of big ole uglys several times. I'm usually met with something like..relax boomer the game has changed.
Uh huh..
JPE hadn't played all game, so inserting him there would have been strange. Awaka still only had 4 fouls at that point and had obviously been the preferred option to sub for Aidoo all game.

Not playing JPE at all against Ole Miss at home was probably as good a signal that he wasn't going in last night as anything.

The fact is that we are short of experienced big men in the post. Aidoo and Awaka are it and then its the freshmen, Estrella and Phillips. Barnes doesn't seem willing to go to them now that he has begun trimming the rotation.
Teams that win tournament are usually the ones that can go inside/out depending on matchups. Barnes teams seem to always be unbalanced.

There was no inside game at all in the first half. Too many attempts from 3 pt range when the drive to the basket was open. And not trying enough to draw fouls. There is no consistency from this team and I really wish talking heads would quit saying this is a final four team. Unless they get more consistent and actually attempt a better inside game, they won't get past sweet sixteen. 8 of 29 from 3-pt range? And at least 4 of those missed in the first half could have been layups or at least closer attempts to the basket when the MS State defense was drawn away from the basket. 5 minute scoring droughts won't get anyone very far.

Both the Freshmen need to get some experience before the tournaments start. All the top team have very talented and very big positions 5 players. We have yet found a way to stop them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
There was no inside game at all in the first half. Too many attempts from 3 pt range when the drive to the basket was open. And not trying enough to draw fouls. There is no consistency from this team and I really wish talking heads would quit saying this is a final four team. Unless they get more consistent and actually attempt a better inside game, they won't get past sweet sixteen. 8 of 29 from 3-pt range? And at least 4 of those missed in the first half could have been layups or at least closer attempts to the basket when the MS State defense was drawn away from the basket. 5 minute scoring droughts won't get anyone very far.
When they are not hitting from outside, they dribble around for 25 seconds with Vescovi passing up shots where he has a defender closer than 5 feet And then take a hale Mary with 2 seconds to go.

If they are not hitting from outside, this team has no ability to create in the paint Except maybe Z Sometimes JJJ.

I like Barnes but he needs a coach who specializes in recruiting and teaching quality big men to be successful.

When they are not hitting from outside, they dribble around for 25 seconds with Vescovi passing up shots where he has a defender closer than 5 feet And then take a hale Mary with 2 seconds to go.

If they are not hitting from outside, this team has no ability to create in the paint Except maybe Z Sometimes JJJ.

I like Barnes but he needs a coach who specializes in recruiting and teaching quality big men to be successful.
I’m curious, do you watch every game completely, and closely? Last night was a little off as far as passing and assists, but your first paragraph is interesting. Even in other games when they’re not hitting from outside, generally they’re passing and moving the ball quite well. You’re absolutely wrong on that part, at least for the most part.

I’m curious, do you watch every game completely, and closely? Last night was a little off as far as passing and assists, but your first paragraph is interesting. Even in other games when they’re not hitting from outside, generally they’re passing and moving the ball quite well. You’re absolutely wrong on that part, at least for the most part.
Do watch, I don’t see enough shot creation. It seems to be all motion and lacks inside out.

Your “they dribble for 25 seconds” is just wrong. They generally pass way more than they dribble.
My point was it is moving all around the outside of arc and a team that plays tight D stops the VOLS from opening the floor without strong inside play or effective penetration. Keeping ball behind arc for 25 of the 30 seconds results in wasted position most times.

I saw a lot of that last night. That’s why physical perimeter D teams with an effective big stops the VOLS many times.

Coach Barnes has true man love for basketball wings and PG's, but not so much NBAish type PF's and/or C's. Until he has a consistently strong inside game to match the outside, we probably won't do any better in the tournament than we have done so far under him. Live by the 3, die by the 3.

Some zone D might be effective against a quality big man. I know man is what we do - and generally do it very well - but when you don't have an answer for Tolu Smith, Zach Edey, Johni Broome, etc., you mix it in. Estrella and Phillips could be used in a zone as opposed to trying to guard an experinced 4/5 all alone. I imagine Knecht would be a much better zone defender also.

Some zone D might be effective against a quality big man. I know man is what we do - and generally do it very well - but when you don't have an answer for Tolu Smith, Zach Edey, Johni Broome, etc., you mix it in. Estrella and Phillips could be used in a zone as opposed to trying to guard an experinced 4/5 all alone. I imagine Knecht would be a much better zone defender also.
There you go. I love a good, effective zone mixed in there.

Georgia has a big who looks like oshwiebe(?) formerly of the kittens. Not a scoring threat like he was,but good bulk. He had inside presence and shot a lot of ft's versus Arky. Awaka and Aidoo better watch fouls and draw some also. Stegemen(sp) is another small venue and ex gator coach has them doing faily well at 12-3.

Last edited:
My point was it is moving all around the outside of arc and a team that plays tight D stops the VOLS from opening the floor without strong inside play or effective penetration. Keeping ball behind arc for 25 of the 30 seconds results in wasted position most times.

I saw a lot of that last night. That’s why physical perimeter D teams with an effective big stops the VOLS many times.
The refs let everyone play overly physical especially early in the first half and it took our guys too long to adjust. Too many turnovers

It's not necessarily an "inside game" that's lacking, it is taking advantage of guys like Knecht and JJJ using ball screens and P&R to get better looks, be it at the rim or elbow jumpers, which JJJ is deadly with. Also, Aidoo has proven to be a really good roll guy in the P&R, as we saw against Ole Miss. It's the 3's late in the shot clock that would drive me crazy as a coach.

VN Store

Back