Vanilla

yuenglinguy78

I have really been wondering this through the first 5 weeks of this football season.

Do we run this vanilla scheme because the coaches don't believe we are good enough to run other plays or is it just bad coaching?

I was watching this game with some Georgia friends Saturday and I am sitting there basically calling the plays we were about too run. "up the middle" or "off the tackle".

The Georgia fans are sitting there asking me why we run a predictable offense. On 1st and 2nd down we run it up the middle and get 3 total yards and I am wondering if Scott is up in the booth and says "Ya know what? It's 3rd and 7, I bet they won't be thinking it's going back up the middle"

I get that the way the ball was getting thrown and the way passes were getting dropped that it was hard to call other plays, but running the same plays that didn't work the first 7 times probably won't work the next time you try it.

That's just my opinion. What do ya'll think about it?

Our offense is so telegraphed even UMass knew what plays we were going to run. It's a shame to watch Kelly run into stacked boxes every first down because they know it's a 5% chance we throw and if we do it'll be into the flat.

True! 2 run plays that everyone in stadium know are coming, then a 3rd and long incomplete pass! :banghead2:

Hello 4th down and punt!

Repeat above continuously!

At least the coaching staff doesn't surprise us with unknown plays....

Like all of you guys think, this may be the worst offense in college ball...

I think we would prefer to have a more unpredictable offense, but Dormady has not been able to make the throws consistanly so butch and Scott are hesitant to call the 1st and 2nd down deep balls and other passes. He has flashes of being a really good qb. I was at the GA game and it was tough to watch. So many drives where we ran 1st and 2nd down then expect Dormady to come in on third and long and convert. It's kinda not fair to him but then again it's his fault for not making the throws all season to give the coaches confidence in him

Two reasons, IMO

1) This offense is completely based on a mobile QB. They obviously don't trust Dormady to run, which severely limits their play calling

2) Jones truly believes his system is infallible and believes everything that goes wrong is because lack of execution, even though the offense is obviously not being tailored to player strengths

True! 2 run plays that everyone in stadium know are coming, then a 3rd and long incomplete pass! :banghead2:

Hello 4th down and punt!

Repeat above continuously!

*3rd and long with a 1 yard screen thatÂ’s dropped, misses the receiver, or gets stopped after a yard.

I know a lot of people have issues with the scheme. I'm no coaching guru, but can see slow developing run plays and pass routes as well as the passive blocking scheme for the oline.

But, the biggest problem I see are that the receivers are horrible.
Malone leaving and Jennings getting hurt left no experience. Butch has had major attrition at WR and made some really bad recruiting decisions.
-Choosing Preston Williams over Van Jefferson.
Not recruiting Jalen mcClesky and Ced's son.
The Vic Wharton saga.
Add Perry and a handful of other blue shirt prospects that never even got on campus.

In addition, you have questionable coaching and development.

Scott on several occasions has said he wanted to run more out of the pro-I. It seems apparent that Jones won't allow it. Scott appears to have had liberty in playcalling through the first 3 games. Jones appears to have taken that away in the last two. This is on Jones and no one BUT Jones.

Jones' O system is relatively complex. That's in part why he claims that players need to be in the program for 3 or 4 years before you expect them to play. Ultimately his idea is that the players need to "execute" his system... and that the system wins rather than depending on players to execute and play fast in something more simple.

Jones' system works in mid-majors when players need to be developed for 3 years before playing and expect it. It works where the speed of the game doesn't crush any system that doesn't allow players to execute at high speed all of the time. If you look at his record at Cincy... even same level teams that played more of a P-5 style always beat him. His system requires too much thinking until a guy has been in it for 3 or 4 years. This is why he keeps extending the date for when we should "reasonably" expect a roster with the right depth, experience, and talent.

Unfortunately, this mid-major thinking will never work against systems that allow highly talented young players to play well almost from the start. It will never allow the "depth" needed because the young players can never truly be ready to play. At the very best, his system would produce a really good season when the stars of a favorable schedule and a very experienced roster coincide.

Jones' system cannot tolerate inexperience at any position. That's why the WR group is such a critical problem right now.

Two reasons, IMO

1) This offense is completely based on a mobile QB. They obviously don't trust Dormady to run, which severely limits their play calling
That's not true except to the extent that Dobbs' bailed the system out with impromptu runs. The problem goes much deeper than that. LOTS of coaches run a West Coast spread successfully with a passing QB. It isn't just that Jones' system will not work without a running QB... it doesn't work period. Dobbs' running just covered that up.

2) Jones truly believes his system is infallible and believes everything that goes wrong is because lack of execution, even though the offense is obviously not being tailored to player strengths

True on the first part. But it is very apparent that the biggest problem is that the O is just too complex.

The kicker there is that most complex systems make it difficult for the opposing D to recognize and stop plays... Jones' system has never done that. Again, what struck fear in D's last year was when the play broke down and Dobbs took off running.

Jones' system cannot tolerate inexperience at any position. That's why the WR group is such a critical problem right now.

I wish Jennings was still healthy, but I give props to Callaway for stepping up.

I tried to blame QD for everything, but once you go back alot of those dropped passes are catchable. I know that they aren't the best passes but if they hit you in the hands ya gotta come down with it.

If we can open the passing game up that would make JK life alot easier.

I have really been wondering this through the first 5 weeks of this football season.

Do we run this vanilla scheme because the coaches don't believe we are good enough to run other plays or is it just bad coaching?

I was watching this game with some Georgia friends Saturday and I am sitting there basically calling the plays we were about too run. "up the middle" or "off the tackle".

The Georgia fans are sitting there asking me why we run a predictable offense. On 1st and 2nd down we run it up the middle and get 3 total yards and I am wondering if Scott is up in the booth and says "Ya know what? It's 3rd and 7, I bet they won't be thinking it's going back up the middle"

I get that the way the ball was getting thrown and the way passes were getting dropped that it was hard to call other plays, but running the same plays that didn't work the first 7 times probably won't work the next time you try it.

CBJ is conservative.

He runs plays that are low risk. We had 4 turnovers being conservative. When we get loose with it we either get a TD or a TO.

That will never change much. He doesn't want to open it up he wants to execute the play and repeat about 85 times.

75% is good for his QB to read the defense right. Executing the is a different #. I've seen them make good reads but then fail to execute. They need more practice. I'm afraid 121 had too much free time.

They have been very sharp at times, but then other times it's like they take turns having brain farts.

The week off could not have been timed any better. No need to panic and act hastily. Take our time and get this thing figured out.

I remember when SC was a true gimme game. The worst part is, they really aren't any better now than they were then.

See y'all at Neyland.

Obviously, I think Scott can do a better job. BUT he did dial up a few touchdowns that we flat out missed because the ball was poorly thrown.

I think our quarterbacks have handcuffed the offensive coordinator, but that's no excuse to get shut out.

I wish Jennings was still healthy, but I give props to Callaway for stepping up.

I tried to blame QD for everything, but once you go back alot of those dropped passes are catchable. I know that they aren't the best passes but if they hit you in the hands ya gotta come down with it.

If we can open the passing game up that would make JK life alot easier.

My motto ..... if you can touch it you can catch it

Good coaches will build the offense around the talent they have.

Bad coaches (a la Jones) try to force a square peg through a round hole, repeatedly.

Vanilla, predictable, take your pick. Going with predictable, see the first play vs.ga. :ermm:

Offensive Scheme:

1st down - Run
2nd down -Run
3rd down - Pass
4th down - Punt

Sooner or later our opponents are going to figure this out....don't you think?:crazy:

OP, I'm not a coach, but my belief is that, regardless of how vanilla our offense is, or isn't, it is VERY clear that opposing D coordinators have pretty quickly figured out what we are going to do...even though we don't do it very well. We showed our cards in the GT game, and hasn't changed since then. This is why a team like UMass was able to hold us close, and why UGA slaughtered us. Even with a deficit of talent, if you know where the ball is going, you have a good chance of success. Our talent level may not be to UGA talent, but it is close. So, if our offense game plan is transparent to opposing team, AND execution of differentiated plays isn't there, you're doomed from the start.

The closest we got to scoring was the Georgia 29 yard line and in the second half we only got in Georgia territory one time. This offense is hot garbage. I feel sorry for John Kelly and a few others that are stuck playing in this crappy scheme.

VN Store

Back