Vacation / Travel

Aint campers great? We did get one when ours were 2 & 6. Over they years they were growing up we towed that sucker from Knoxville to Bar Harbor & Acadia NP Maine, all over New England, Maryland, Washington DC, Civil War sites like Gettysburg. Amish Pennsylvania, Niagra and over the Great Lakes in Canada. Historical sites like Kitty Hawk & Outer Banks lighthouses. Really, just up & down Atlantic coast & down past Miami over to & up & down the Gulf side. Up I-75 to Michigan's Upper Penninsula. Then out west. Tombstone, Natural Bridges, Park City where Winter Olympics were, through Cornfield ... er ..uh Kansas.

You will have fun. You will see the real America in ways folks who only "fly over" to "all inclusive" vacation "destinations" never will. We literally wore ours out. Had to sell it for salvage & scrap. Wouldn't try to sell as usable. Wife cried when we left it there.

But, leave yours at home sometimes. Maybe fly to Cancun for two weeks. But for most of that, rent a SUV and drive all over the Yucatan to the Mayan ruin sites, like Mayapan, Tulum & Chichen Itza.

I hope we can do this when we retire. We've traveled quite a bit, but never at a relaxed pace. Would love to just wander for a month or so at a time all over the US.

Reactions: 1 person
Places down that way its pretty easy to get away from the crowds. Pass-A-Grille beach is one place not far from where he stayed that is mostly a locals only beach because of the location. Thats why I cant stand Destin, Panama City, or pretty much anywhere along the panhandle. It's just too crowded and touristy. Another great secluded spot a few miles further South is Siesta Key off Sarasota.

The secret's out on Siesta Key, but it's still less crowded than many of the Tampa/St. Pete beaches and better (my opinion). Lido beach is also very nice.

You live on the beach? If so, I hope your golf scores suck next time��

I live less than a half mile walk from the beach. Right where the Chesapeake Bay drains into the Atlantic in Va Beach. It's not a bad spot at all I must say. Just too many Navy folk for my taste, but I digress. :)

I miss the Smokies terribly though.

I saw Book of Mormon up there last year. I've never seen a show that I thought was that funny that so many people just didn't get. It was great.

There are definitely moments where you realize the creators of South Park made it. Of course we're fans of that too so we found it hilarious

The secret's out on Siesta Key, but it's still less crowded than many of the Tampa/St. Pete beaches and better (my opinion). Lido beach is also very nice.

Turtle Beach at Siesta Key had to be re sanded after one of the hurricanes carried it away. First time we camped there it was privately owned and the edge of our trailer was a few feet off a sugar sand beach. I could get up just about about 3 or 4 in the early morning, go piss in the ocean, and get back in bed without waking up.
After the hurricane, they sucked coarse ocean bottom sand from a mile or so offshore a pumped it out to rebuild the beach. Campground was force sold to the county and added to a county park there on the tip of Siesta. County did away with the four sites closest to the gulf and put in ugly fake looking "natural area". But I guess the turtles still come to lay their eggs and you can watch hatchlings scamper to the sea if your lucky.

I hope we can do this when we retire. We've traveled quite a bit, but never at a relaxed pace. Would love to just wander for a month or so at a time all over the US.

We've had a camper since our son was about 7. He's 35 now. We still love cruising around in it. We do a couple of trips to the Sierras every year and one extended trip to MT/WY/ID/WA for 3 to 5 weeks and a couple of local trips around SoCal. Its great to have your hotel on your truck and just go wherever you want.

Here's where I was last week for a conference...

Edit..... the conference was actually indoors.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 2
Here's where I was last week for a conference...

Edit..... the conference was actually indoors.

You didn't happen to see a coyote chasing a roadrunner did you?

Pearl Harbor and me. Hawaii is awesome and not near as expensive as people let on. We did it for 12 days at about 4K. Friends told us we would need at least 10k. We did everything.....go if you can. I drove/walker everywhere and was in awe of it everything constantly. It was like living in Jurrasic park without the dinosaurs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: 2 people
Pearl Harbor and me. Hawaii is awesome and not near as expensive as people let on. We did it for 12 days at about 4K. Friends told us we would need at least 10k. We did everything.....go if you can. I drove/walker everywhere and was in awe of it everything constantly. It was like living in Jurrasic park without the dinosaurs.

I have a friend from there that I went to school with. She goes every year to see her family and posts pictures on Facebook, it's stunning.

We've had a camper since our son was about 7. He's 35 now. We still love cruising around in it. We do a couple of trips to the Sierras every year and one extended trip to MT/WY/ID/WA for 3 to 5 weeks and a couple of local trips around SoCal. Its great to have your hotel on your truck and just go wherever you want.

I'm jealous. Maybe hopefully someday we can do something like that. It sucks being poor. :)

I'm jealous. Maybe hopefully someday we can do something like that. It sucks being poor. :)

When we got our first truck camper we weren't rich by any means. I think I paid $3k for the truck (72 Chevy C20) with the camper. That was back in the mid 80s.

My latest rig is a 97 F250 with the 7.3 PSD. The camper is the same one we've had for 16 years now. We keep looking at new and newer ones, but we like the layout of the one we have and we maintain it very well so everything works fine. Besides if I spent big bucks on a new rig I might think twice about taking it up the logging roads and two-tracks that we travel on now. And I have never been one to want the latest and greatest just cuz its the latest and greatest.

By far the most luxurious and rich thing we have is our time. Ms. Danl retired at 45 and I retired at 50. I'm glad we did as we have enjoyed traveling while our health is still good.

When we got our first truck camper we weren't rich by any means. I think I paid $3k for the truck (72 Chevy C20) with the camper. That was back in the mid 80s.

My latest rig is a 97 F250 with the 7.3 PSD. The camper is the same one we've had for 16 years now. We keep looking at new and newer ones, but we like the layout of the one we have and we maintain it very well so everything works fine. Besides if I spent big bucks on a new rig I might think twice about taking it up the logging roads and two-tracks that we travel on now. And I have never been one to want the latest and greatest just cuz its the latest and greatest.

By far the most luxurious and rich thing we have is our time. Ms. Danl retired at 45 and I retired at 50. I'm glad we did as we have enjoyed traveling while our health is still good.

I'm envious. I'd love to have the time to take those trips.

I'm envious. I'd love to have the time to take those trips.

I chose to leave my job at the height of my career to retire when I did. Not that it was the world's greatest career, but the pay and bennies were very, very good and I really enjoyed my job. Hard decision and I couldn't believe that I was doing it, but that had been the plan for 20 years so I did. I don't regret a minute of it.

wow that's awesome. your living the American dream!!

Reactions: franklinpence
I chose to leave my job at the height of my career to retire when I did. Not that it was the world's greatest career, but the pay and bennies were very, very good and I really enjoyed my job. Hard decision and I couldn't believe that I was doing it, but that had been the plan for 20 years so I did. I don't regret a minute of it.

You're not making me any less jealous.

My family and I spent last weekend in Hilton Head (I had a conference, they played the whole time). We stayed at the Sonesta Resort. Pool, beach, putt putt and restaurants. We had a great time.

The final night it monsooned, so I went to the local Harris Teeter and picked up some ice cream, cones, and Uno cards. Fun times.

Uno .. fun :)

So what are good vacation card games. We like 'May I' Hearts, Uno, Euchre .. sometimes dealer calls poker.

That's some of our kid's favorite vacation memories. Playing cut throat, no mercy card games halfway through the night. Made 'em learn to think before acting.

"Granma says NO, you can't take your discard back" ... (as she picks it up, lays out three sets and a discard and skunks everbody else.)

My 5-month-old already has the "chillin by the pool" down...'

13266032_10153598820211787_175984098760060051_n.jpg

VN Store

Back