Vacation Ideas

I'm heading to Colorado Springs at the end of the month. Anyone have any reccommendations?
We lived there for four years but haven't been there in a few years. Here's some additional things to check out. Second the recommendations for the Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, and the Academy. If you have kids, feed the giraffes at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Hiking, check out Mueller State Park. For mining history, drive out to Cripple Creek. Fossils, go to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. There's a traditional German bakery that's excellent and not too many tourists find it, Wimberger's Old World Bakery and Delicatessen. Speaking of German, there's also a good little German restaurant called Uwe's. Check out the US Olympic Training Center. If you're into, there's also the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. Some of our favorite restaurants downtown were Phantom Canyon Brewing and Jack Quinn's Irish Pub.

We lived there for four years but haven't been there in a few years. Here's some additional things to check out. Second the recommendations for the Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, and the Academy. If you have kids, feed the giraffes at Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Hiking, check out Mueller State Park. For mining history, drive out to Cripple Creek. Fossils, go to Florissant Fossil Beds National Monument. There's a traditional German bakery that's excellent and not too many tourists find it, Wimberger's Old World Bakery and Delicatessen. Speaking of German, there's also a good little German restaurant called Uwe's. Check out the US Olympic Training Center. If you're into, there's also the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. Some of our favorite restaurants downtown were Phantom Canyon Brewing and Jack Quinn's Irish Pub.
Awesome! We were looking for some good food places to try, will definitely check those out!

Reactions: 3rdDegreeVol
What part of Montana did you previously visit?

We currently live in Billings, so I could give you plenty of recommendations on destinations in Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado and even the Sierras and Cascades. Of course, if you are specifically limited to April of next year, access to much of the high country will be restricted except, obviously, for ski resorts. Just let me know how much flexibility you can exercise and whether any of these options pique your curiosity.

It may not have to be specific to April. But, definitely a anniversary trip. I went to Helena in '97 with some college buddies. One of them lived there and we used his house as base. We spent a few days at Park Lake outside town and up in the hills camping and fishing. That little lake was full of Grayling and Cutthroat. Meandered around a bit, and then took off to Yellowstone. We were supposed to have horses lined up to back country camp, but they were all pregnant. Best part of the trip was steak dinners at Marysville Steak House. That place was insane good.

It may not have to be specific to April. But, definitely a anniversary trip. I went to Helena in '97 with some college buddies. One of them lived there and we used his house as base. We spent a few days at Park Lake outside town and up in the hills camping and fishing. That little lake was full of Grayling and Cutthroat. Meandered around a bit, and then took off to Yellowstone. We were supposed to have horses lined up to back country camp, but they were all pregnant. Best part of the trip was steak dinners at Marysville Steak House. That place was insane good.

Things have definitely changed since then. Within the last five years or so, visitation to Glacier, for example, has spiked to unprecedented levels. For the first time, the park now receives 1,000,000 visitors per month during peak operational season, i.e. July and August. Consequently, I now regard early fall (late September and the first week of October) to be the best time to visit.

If the fall foliage “gods” are willing to cooperate, peak color occurs during that period, elk are engaged in the annual rut, and visitation is down to the point that you can still experience that sensation of having the park all to yourselves. Services are more limited, and weather can be a bit “iffy,” but the park and, for that matter, the Northern Rockies are no more resplendent than that time of year.

If that time of year interests you in the slightest, let me know. I can provide far more specific recommendations in terms of destinations.

P.S. Is Marysville Steak House in Helena? If so, we will have to check it out the next time we are up that way.

Things have definitely changed since then. Within the last five years or so, visitation to Glacier, for example, has spiked to unprecedented levels. For the first time, the park now receives 1,000,000 visitors per month during peak operational season, i.e. July and August. Consequently, I now regard early fall (late September and the first week of October) to be the best time to visit.

If the fall foliage “gods” are willing to cooperate, peak color occurs during that period, elk are engaged in the annual rut, and visitation is down to the point that you can still experience that sensation of having the park all to yourselves. Services are more limited, and weather can be a bit “iffy,” but the park and, for that matter, the Northern Rockies are no more resplendent than that time of year.

If that time of year interests you in the slightest, let me know. I can provide far more specific recommendations in terms of destinations.

P.S. Is Marysville Steak House in Helena? If so, we will have to check it out the next time we are up that way.

Yes, Marysville Steakhouse is in Helena. Or about 20 miles or so Northwest I think. In Marysville. West of Gearing and Silver City. Near a ski lodge and slopes. Basically, a small "ghost" town. It's a gathering place, and the definition of a dive. Indoor picnic table dining. When we were there dinner cane on disposable plates. Smokey walls. Menu on the walls on old chalk slates. Kitchen was a screened in porch with holes in the ceiling for grill smoke. The only cookers I saw were grills and slow cookers. Outback is horseshoes, fire pit with carts for roasting marshmallows, and shrimp cocktail cups. It's a small menu. Basically a Porterhouse that hung off the plate, laid on top of cowboy beans and corn on the cobb and mushrooms, a ribeye and veggies, and a seafood skillet. I don't know what they do to steaks, but is without a doubt still in the top 3 I have ever eaten. I hope they haven't updated. That was part of the atmosphere. I think everything gets great reviews. There are people that don't, but there always will be. They aren't trying to compete with large chains, so if you're not in a Montana mood, you may not enjoy. We were outsiders from GA, respected the local way, and had a great time. They don't like outsiders, unless Montanans know you are only visiting. {Side bar and God's honest truth...My friend that lived there was active in the local church we all attended. They even told him to enjoy while he was living there but don't get comfy}. The seafood plate came in a skillet. Looked good but who knows, Anyway, Marysville House is a trip for the steak if they are still as good as they were in '97. In some write-ups it is listed as the best of the west. I've looked them up several times over the years since out of curiosity. Ownership has changed a few times, but each works to keep the same standard. One recent review form a 74 year old says it's the best steak he's eaten. Ever. See pics.

Historic Marysville House Restaurant

a.jpgb.jpgc.jpgo.jpgthe-dining-room-with.jpg

One thing we didn't expect on our trip, was that the old notion of saloons out west is still alive and well. Maybe a more updated building, but even in Helena and I'm sure most of those western states, Saloons are alive and well, and a family outing. We went to one for a couple beers out on the main hwy passing through Helena. It was large inside for 2 stepping I guess. And not just drinkers, but families & kids, cause it was a place to eat and socialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: Volosaurus rex
Destin, anyone have recommendations for a ocean front House rental in the Destin area?.
Six adults , three kids.

Some of my fave US cities from traveling while working.....Savannah Charleston Key West New Orleans Portland, ME Sandpoint ID NYC San Diego...the Viking River Cruises would be great for bucket list/anniversary or Alaska cruise...great country visit for couples would be Ireland

Made me sad. Our Alaska cruise was obviously canceled. We waited a long time for the opportunity to do that.
We booked a European river cruise over a year before the pandemic started -its currently delayed for another year and a half and they’ve still got our $12K. Things are definitely crazy in the travel world these days

Destin, anyone have recommendations for a ocean front House rental in the Destin area?.
Six adults , three kids.
We have used this rental company before: Book 30A & Destin Florida Vacation Rentals | Destin Rentals by Five Star Properties

VRBO has a comprehensive offering, most are cross-listed.

You might consider the 30A stretch just to the east, as well. Know, in advance, that prices are jacked this year and most places are full for the entire summer. We had trouble finding a house when we booked in January, and rentals seemed about 25% higher than normal "peak." If you aren't opposed to being one row removed from beachfront, you can save a lot of money.

Good luck!

Reactions: Zues1
We booked a European river cruise over a year before the pandemic started -its currently delayed for another year and a half and they’ve still got our $12K. Things are definitely crazy in the travel world these days
Which cruise line? Which river?

Six adults , three kids.

I'd recommend skipping Destin/PCB and heading to Navarre...beautiful beach and water without the tourist traps

I recommend this as well, though I've never been to Navarre. I would also suggest Gulf Shores.

Destin, while having beautiful beaches and has lots of things to do, is way over-crowded. Takes 30-45 minutes to go from 1 end of town to the other. I won't be going back anytime soon.

Reactions: Zues1 and VolnJC
We have used this rental company before: Book 30A & Destin Florida Vacation Rentals | Destin Rentals by Five Star Properties

VRBO has a comprehensive offering, most are cross-listed.

You might consider the 30A stretch just to the east, as well. Know, in advance, that prices are jacked this year and most places are full for the entire summer. We had trouble finding a house when we booked in January, and rentals seemed about 25% higher than normal "peak." If you aren't opposed to being one row removed from beachfront, you can save a lot of money.

Good luck!

Yeah, we were looking to go back down to PCB area this year. Maybe Gulf Shores. Couldn't find what we needed under $600 a night. We switched to the mountains.

I recommend this as well, though I've never been to Navarre. I would also suggest Gulf Shores.

Destin, while having beautiful beaches and has lots of things to do, is way over-crowded. Takes 30-45 minutes to go from 1 end of town to the other. I won't be going back anytime soon.
Gulf Shores is about a 30 minute drive from us and nice too...white sandy beaches but we don't have the emerald green water that those further east do usually...too close to the bay probably...Im afraid Foley...the city before you get to GS is turning into a mini Pigeon Forge.. mini golf and now OWA, the Poarch Indian owned theme park

Reactions: Carp
The last time we were up there (past Jan), we stayed at Santa Rosa Beach - east of Destin. Beautiful. Not as crowded and lots of good places to eat. As mentioned above, if you are willing to rent off the beach, you will save a lot of money. We stayed a block north of 30A which meant about a half mile walk to the beach. Used either Airbnb or VRBO, but got a good price on a 3 bedroom, 2 story condo.

Reactions: VolnJC
Some of my fave US cities from traveling while working.....Savannah Charleston Key West New Orleans Portland, ME Sandpoint ID NYC San Diego...the Viking River Cruises would be great for bucket list/anniversary or Alaska cruise...great country visit for couples would be Ireland
Any Portland, ME recommendations?

Any Portland, ME recommendations?
Take one of the charters to see the lighthouses...several local breweries and museums...stroll the historical Old Port wharf with the cobblestone streets...if in town see a Portland Sea Dogs game....Hadlock Field has a replica of Fenway's Green Monster called the Maine Monster...its a beautiful area...plenty of waterfront hotels under 250 a night Document.png

VN Store

Back