'18 VA TE James Mitchell (Virginia Tech, potential transfer)

appyvol

4340144.jpg

Tight End
Union High
Big Stone Gap, VA

6-4, 210

247 Composite 4 Star

Vols offered tonight.
James Mitchell, Union, Tight End

Isn't that the same school (back when it was Powell Valley) that produced the Jones brothers, Thomas, and I can't remember his brothers name.

Isn't that the same school (back when it was Powell Valley) that produced the Jones brothers, Thomas, and I can't remember his brothers name.

That's correct. It used to be Powell Valley when they were there.

It's crazy to see some D1 talent coming out of a place like Big Stone Gap. I guess when there's nothing else to do but play football though you would get good at it.

Yes it is. Powell Valley Produced Thomas and Julius Jones. The school has since combined with Appalachia to make Union. There have been several players come out of that area. Heath Miller, steelers TE, came from Honaker and Justin Hamilton from Climtwood. All NFL guys from D1 schools in that area.

Reactions: Volfan1000
James is a great kid. Virginia Tech has been on him early, as well as Virginia and Duke. If he gets to some camps this summer, that offer list could possibly expand greatly. I get to watch him here on Friday nights, but I hope to watch him one day walk through that "T".

Reactions: 1 person
That's correct. It used to be Powell Valley when they were there.

It's crazy to see some D1 talent coming out of a place like Big Stone Gap. I guess when there's nothing else to do but play football though you would get good at it.

Josh Warren played TE at Wake, and was a teammate of Julius back in the day.:)

Reactions: 1 person
Seen this kid play 3 times in high school at Union. Twice as a sophomore & once as a junior. He makes that team go. He can play both TE & WR.

He is that fast & has all the skills to play TE. I'd say he will end up being a TE in college but he's going to have to put on some more weight to block. I was hoping we would offer him.

Last edited:
Awesome kid from a great family, I'd love to see him come to Knoxville.

I actually played with the Jones brothers at Powell Valley. BSGVOL, did you go to PV? If so, what year? Just wondering if we might know each other.

"Just spoke with 2018 tight end/linebacker James Mitchell from Big Stone Gap, VA. Tennessee offered him last night (Azzanni recruiting him).

He's planning on seeing the Vols in the spring. Top 250, 4-star. He will see Va Tech, Virginia, Duke, Clemson, and the Vols in the spring for junior days.

Likes Jason Witten. Full story coming later."

- Hubbs

Reactions: 5 people
Awesome kid from a great family, I'd love to see him come to Knoxville.

I actually played with the Jones brothers at Powell Valley. BSGVOL, did you go to PV? If so, what year? Just wondering if we might know each other.

Yes, PV, class of 85. We possibly do know each other. Lived here most of my life.

Man, I remember when you guys won the state title when I was a kid. I graduated in 97, played quarterback. Same initials as my screen name. Email me at bigorangeswag@gmail.com, and let me know if you ever come to a game in Knoxville

“I had been texting with Tennessee,” Mitchell said. “But coach Azzanni wanted me to call him and he offered me a scholarship. It was our first conversation. “It surprised me honestly. I wasn't expecting them to offer like that. I'm interested in getting down there to see what they are about.”

“I'm going to Duke in February, Clemson junior day, Tennessee junior day and Virginia Tech this spring,” Mitchell said.

But don't look for any recruiting decisions from Mitchell any time soon. “I wouldn't say I throw it to the side,” Mitchell said. “I'm taking my time, enjoying time with my friends at this level. I'm taking some unofficials and getting a feel for some schools before my official visits next fall and winter.”

“I feel like I'm a hybrid guy,” Mitchell said. “ I can play flexed out off the line and on the line of scrimmage as well. My favorite player is Jason Witten, but my game is different than his.”

As for his recruitment, that's expected to grow in the number of schools trying to catch his attention, Mitchell is looking for a fit. “Education is big in my family and for me,” Mitchell said. “My mom went to Brown. She played hoops there and she pushes me on grades. I'm looking for a place where I fit in and it feels like home to me.”

- VQ

Josh Warren played TE at Wake, and was a teammate of Julius back in the day.:)

My X is from Big Stone.. Do you remember Kevin Mitchell? Ran track against him back in the late 70's..

My X is from Big Stone.. Do you remember Kevin Mitchell? Ran track against him back in the late 70's..

I remember him. Remember seeing his picture on the wall in high school. James's dad, Jimmy, was an outstanding athlete in his own right (so was his mom), and was the FCA director when I was there. Their whole family is very devoted to their faith and of the highest character.

One thing I would bet on: if he came to UT, you wouldn't have to worry about behavioral or off-the-field problems with him.

Absolutely, know Kevin well. Just a little bit older than me. He finished his college career at Carson Newman after starting out at VMI.

Man, I remember when you guys won the state title when I was a kid. I graduated in 97, played quarterback. Same initials as my screen name. Email me at bigorangeswag@gmail.com, and let me know if you ever come to a game in Knoxville

Don't get on here much, but I'm pretty sure we know each other. Is your mom a teacher with the initials D.P. and your dad's initials R.P.? I'm a teacher too, so I've known your mom for years. Just to keep this going, my initials are B.R. Lol.

“I had been texting with Tennessee,” Mitchell said. “But coach Azzanni wanted me to call him and he offered me a scholarship. It was our first conversation. “It surprised me honestly. I wasn't expecting them to offer like that. I'm interested in getting down there to see what they are about.”

“I'm going to Duke in February, Clemson junior day, Tennessee junior day and Virginia Tech this spring,” Mitchell said.

But don't look for any recruiting decisions from Mitchell any time soon. “I wouldn't say I throw it to the side,” Mitchell said. “I'm taking my time, enjoying time with my friends at this level. I'm taking some unofficials and getting a feel for some schools before my official visits next fall and winter.”

“I feel like I'm a hybrid guy,” Mitchell said. “ I can play flexed out off the line and on the line of scrimmage as well. My favorite player is Jason Witten, but my game is different than his.”

As for his recruitment, that's expected to grow in the number of schools trying to catch his attention, Mitchell is looking for a fit. “Education is big in my family and for me,” Mitchell said. “My mom went to Brown. She played hoops there and she pushes me on grades. I'm looking for a place where I fit in and it feels like home to me.”

- VQ

Likes Jason Witten. Sounds promising. Maybe Jason can help the staff out here. My guess is that he will be recruited hard by VA Tech as they are the closest P5 school. I say come on down and be the next JW on the hill. Bammer Dabo is evil.

Likes Jason Witten. Sounds promising. Maybe Jason can help the staff out here. My guess is that he will be recruited hard by VA Tech as they are the closest P5 school. I say come on down and be the next JW on the hill. Bammer Dabo is evil.

UT is closer I believe. Ends up at Clemson, jmo.

VN Store

Back