'21 VA CB Tony Grimes (North Carolina commit)

Georgia mods said that when it became apparent he would/might reclassify, Georgia backed off because they didn't have room.
Never saw that. What I read was his relationship with Dre Bly won out since covid prevented him from taking visits.

Last time they were a serious powerhouse was 97-98 before he left. I think we were doing OK then.

And they still didn’t win anything. At all. And they’ve only won their division once since the ACC went to divisional play. And they haven’t won an ACC title in 40 years.

People pumping this stuff about being on par Clemson need to pump the brakes. They had to beat NC State last year to qualify for a bowl. As much as people want to talk about their close losses last year they were as equally as close to going 4-8 or 3-9. They were lucky to beat South Carolina, Duke and Miami while losing to Wake and App State. The worst possible thing that could’ve happened to them was nearly beating Clemson last year when Clemson half assed it, because if they get to Charlotte this year Clemson is going to be wide awake and beat them badly.
They also better show up against UCF and Auburn or risk having some of these high profile recruits see what happens when they play real football teams .

Via ESPN radio Charlotte:

“We’re in a really good position in the next few years to make a run at Clemson, win the division, and get in the NC picture”

That’s not the whole quote but the main point.

If they can keep Howell around a while and keep climbing I can see them making noise but I don’t think they’re as close as they believe they are to Clemson.

Via ESPN radio Charlotte:

“We’re in a really good position in the next few years to make a run at Clemson, win the division, and get in the NC picture”

That’s not the whole quote but the main point.

If they can keep Howell around a while and keep climbing I can see them making noise but I don’t think they’re as close as they believe they are to Clemson.
1 great recruiting class doesn't make you a contender.

And they still didn’t win anything. At all. And they’ve only won their division once since the ACC went to divisional play. And they haven’t won an ACC title in 40 years.

People pumping this stuff about being on par Clemson need to pump the brakes. They had to beat NC State last year to qualify for a bowl. As much as people want to talk about their close losses last year they were as equally as close to going 4-8 or 3-9. They were lucky to beat South Carolina, Duke and Miami while losing to Wake and App State. The worst possible thing that could’ve happened to them was nearly beating Clemson last year when Clemson half assed it, because if they get to Charlotte this year Clemson is going to be wide awake and beat them badly.
They also better show up against UCF and Auburn or risk having some of these high profile recruits see what happens when they play real football teams .

Great post. UNC has never sniffed the type of success Clemson has. Clemson had an off game against UNC last year. TL struggled and they just didn’t have it. It happens to great teams. Look at last years iron bowl. Bama should have won by 21+. But they lost. It happens. UNC is like the new guy in school. But even putting them in the same universe as Clemson is foolish.

Great post. UNC has never sniffed the type of success Clemson has. Clemson had an off game against UNC last year. TL struggled and they just didn’t have it. It happens to great teams. Look at last years iron bowl. Bama should have won by 21+. But they lost. It happens. UNC is like the new guy in school. But even putting them in the same universe as Clemson is foolish.
The only reason people do is because of last years game and the fact that the ACC is beyond bad right now.

Feels like UNC or Clemson but maybe we pull one out of our asses. Find out at 8

1 great recruiting class doesn't make you a contender.

Not sure what you’re watching but kids follow trends and 1 great class can be the launch pad for your school to become a trend. What many hv to understand a majority of these kids are followers. The same way UNC is trending like this was the same way Clemson took off. Same with Bama when Saban took over. Kids watch their timelines on social media get in group chats and follow one another. The current UT class is the same with the linebackers and why Smael is intrigued and listening. All we need is an elite DL guy and things will change there too. It’s just rough right now because lack of in person/ on campus visits are hampering a lot of recruiting situations.

Not sure what you’re watching but kids follow trends and 1 great class can be the launch pad for your school to become a trend. What many hv to understand a majority of these kids are followers. The same way UNC is trending like this was the same way Clemson took off. Same with Bama when Saban took over. Kids watch their timelines on social media get in group chats and follow one another. The current UT class is the same with the linebackers and why Smael is intrigued and listening. All we need is an elite DL guy and things will change there too. It’s just rough right now because lack of in person/ on campus visits are hampering a lot of recruiting situations.
We’ll see what’s in store for unc football in the next 2 recruiting cycles after this.

Good point but jmo I don't necessarily think trends are that big of a draw. Sure elite talent likes to play with elite talent. But the W column and the ability to get guys to NFL almost takes care of recruiting itself. Especially turning out 1st rounders and being able to win big games. One big win or one first rounder every few years isn't going to get you there, the challenge is doing it on a fairly consistent basis. It's been a pet peeve of mine since Fulmer left of us scheduling tough OOC games. I love that we do it but if you don't win any of those games its hurting more than it helps I think. With the SEC as tough as it is schedule more winnable games until the you have the talent to compete with the tougher OOC games. I mean look at Bama, even as great as they've been they still have a cupcake OOC schedule most of the time, which is another pet peeve of mine because all these years they brag about being so good but never play anyone worth a dang even back through the Bear years. We get to where we're winning 9-10 games every year which will put us in contention with the SECG and better bowl games and recruiting works on it's own almost. Just my take on things

Good point but jmo I don't necessarily think trends are that big of a draw. Sure elite talent likes to play with elite talent. But the W column and the ability to get guys to NFL almost takes care of recruiting itself. Especially turning out 1st rounders and being able to win big games. One big win or one first rounder every few years isn't going to get you there, the challenge is doing it on a fairly consistent basis. It's been a pet peeve of mine since Fulmer left of us scheduling tough OOC games. I love that we do it but if you don't win any of those games its hurting more than it helps I think. With the SEC as tough as it is schedule more winnable games until the you have the talent to compete with the tougher OOC games. I mean look at Bama, even as great as they've been they still have a cupcake OOC schedule most of the time, which is another pet peeve of mine because all these years they brag about being so good but never play anyone worth a dang even back through the Bear years. We get to where we're winning 9-10 games every year which will put us in contention with the SECG and better bowl games and recruiting works on it's own almost. Just my take on things

Believe it or not that Clemson game they lost but gv them fits had kids on notice and they are using that in recruiting, and kids buy into things like that.

Reactions: SweetasSoda

VN Store

Back